New R2 Owner Questions

Dustin

Hello, I have a few questions please.  First is it common for the default password on the label to be incorrect?  What's actually in the user interface differs from the label and it's the one in the UI which actually allows wireless devices to connect.

I noticed the default password is all numeric.  This struck me as odd.  Does the R2 support proper strong passwords?

Any thoughts on why my work laptop could have no issues on my old Linksys wireless (with proper strong password), but the R2 will connect yet have no internet access?  A wired connection works just fine.

I also can't help but notice how sluggish the UI is.  I just logged in and the main UI takes about seven seconds  to fully load.  Often "raps" will fail telling me to try again after a period of time.

I've since updated it to the latest DumaOS and there is no change.

Any tips/advice appreciated.  Thanks!

Hey Dustin,

We have had a couple of reports of the WiFi password on the label not matching what's configured, sorry about that! Well done for figuring out the issue though!

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Does the R2 support proper strong passwords?

I guess that would depend on your definition of a proper strong password, you can also use symbols in your passwords with the R2.

Any thoughts on why my work laptop could have no issues on my old Linksys wireless (with proper strong password), but the R2 will connect yet have no internet access?  A wired connection works just fine.

Is it authenticating? Can you see the Laptop in device manager? If so which band is it connecting to?

I also can't help but notice how sluggish the UI is

What browser are you accessing the UI through? Are you running an adblocker in this browser? It's probably worth whitelisting the R2 URL in your browser.

Please note:
I've enabled allow remote access to technical support for 24 hours as of 14:13 (GMT -6) or until I hear from you, whichever comes first.  Perhaps you'll want to log in and check it out for yourselves.

Passwords:

My apology I should have included an example.  This is what I'd consider the bare minimum from a security standpoint.  Can I use the equivalent to this?

$DxX!5!@?$ZcKPq

Work laptop:
Again, my apologies.  I forgot about Cisco AnyConnect.  As soon as I added it in that client as well, no issues.

Sluggish UI performance:
No adblockers at all in the environment.  I will be rebuilding my PiHole for this network however, currently it's offline.

Please note, this level of performance is typical for any device in the environment.

Currently I'm using Chrome, which is demonstrated below.

In Edge which I don't use, no extensions whatsoever installed.  Initial load took about 30 seconds.  This is subsequent activity:

In Chrome:

I hope this isn't the expected performance.  Please let me know.  Thanks!

• Administrators

That password should work on that version yes. 

Were you attempting to access using HTTPS on Edge? I see you've allocated 100% bandwidth to gaming (which isn't needed as gaming barely uses any bandwidth), did you disable share excess? Wondering if that might be slowing down your access to the interface.

Did not know I needed or could use HTTPS to access the UI.  I did try and it would not resolve.  Regarding the share excess, yes, it's enabled by default (I checked  to verify) and I've lowered it to about 50%.  This appears to have no impact.  Any other thoughts?  Thanks.

• Administrators

Wouldn't recommend HTTPS, was checking to make sure you weren't. Have you ever had a DumaOS powered router before or is this the first time? Do you have the browser set up to prevent saving of cookies/cache? If so re-enable that as it should be faster after caching parts of the pages.

12 hours ago, Dustin said:

No all browsers unmodified beyond official extensions on PCs.  No extensions possible on mobile possible to my knowledge.

This is my first Netduma product.

Just to rule it out, have you tried temporarily disabling all browser extensions and re-loading DumaOS?

Do you have popups blocked in Chrome? If so try whitelisting DumaOS there and seeing if that helps.

8 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Just to rule it out, have you tried temporarily disabling all browser extensions and re-loading DumaOS?

Do you have popups blocked in Chrome? If so try whitelisting DumaOS there and seeing if that helps.

I have just now.  No change.  Please clarify "re-loading DumaOS?".  Thanks.

Please note,  I'm seeing errors in the log, please see attached.

Please also note, I see the same behavior on all devices and all browsers tested in the environment.  This includes but not necessarily limited to desktop gaming PC, laptop with Chrome, Edge , and Firefox.  I know the web interface is not intended to be used with mobile devices which is why I don't mention iPhone and iPad.

log-1608146475330.txt

• Administrators

Liam meant refreshing the page I believe.

Could you do a simple reboot and see if that helps please, if not then if possible a factory reset. If it's still the same after that please do this: 

Click the 3 dot icon in the top right of the interface, go to advanced and then click Rapp performance please. Then go to the Advanced tab on the Window that appears. Click on the Memory (P) column so that it shows the highest value at the top and lowest at the bottom. Then however above the Rapp column until you see the option 'Show Kernel Values' appear, then click that. Once you've done that take a screenshot of the entire window please.

Sure, many reboots have been done, as you know, it's IT rule #0.  Happy to reset it after work tonight.  No time to get this done before hand.  Once this is done, we'll see where we are.  I received the product Friday December 11.  Is it 14 or 30 days we have to figure out if the product is defective for me to be eligible for an RMA?  I hope you know I'm working through troubleshooting this as fast as job and life will allow.  Please advise.  Thanks.

The reset itself was painless.  The performance appears unchanged.  The dashboard takes about nine seconds to fully render after the initial load of about 30 seconds.  Is this the level of performance I should expect from the R2 on the latest firmware?  If so, that's certainly disappointing.  If not, what else can we try?  Thanks.

I've selected as many as I can and set it to the background.  Then I started at the bottom network settings I think it is and went one at a time up the left side letting it fully load (some I've not yet used) and then opened it up and took this screenshot.  Is this what you wanted?

image.thumb.png.a3bbb0ce2f09536b46746daff2440004.png

I've re-enabled remote access to tech support.  Please investigate my R2.  Its performance after work tonight as I was working on various hosts and needing to frequently access the UI is really beginning to frustrate me.  The Rapps are often failing.  I've rebooted, tried different hosts and browsers.  I just can't imagine people consider this normal performance.  I'd like to discuss an exchange please.  Thanks.

From where you were there, go to the Advanced tab. Click on the Memory (P) column so that it shows the highest value at the top and lowest at the bottom. Then hover above the Rapp column until you see the option 'Show Kernel Values' appear, then click that. Once you've done that take a screenshot of the entire window.

We understand that this is frustrating, if we can determine that this isn't an issue we can fix with changes to configuration, we will organise a replacement unit for you.

• Administrators

Yes that's it thank you. The values are within the acceptable ranges so nothing indicating an issue there. Are you using an Anti-Virus/Firewall on your PC that isn't the default Windows options? If so are you able to whitelist the interface on them?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that's it thank you. The values are within the acceptable ranges so nothing indicating an issue there. Are you using an Anti-Virus/Firewall on your PC that isn't the default Windows options? If so are you able to whitelist the interface on them?

As this is strictly a gaming PC, I have the Windows firewall disabled.  I was however running with the BitDefender firewall enabled.  It has been disabled currently for testing.  Can you please be more specific about the interface, what am I looking for to whitelist?  The R2 IP?

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes whitelisting the R2 LAN IP and http://dumaos/ as well please.

BitDefender wants an exe.  Of course the URL isn't going to work this is for demonstration purposes.

image.png.90c67bc605a157dd8cd5b07dfce60085.png

image.png.64e05e520d012795a1c112308dcf6a2e.png

I'll disable this entirely.

image.thumb.png.c2aebc90449b414e3377aec11c628265.png

Counted off the load/render time for the dashboard at about nine seconds.  Please tell me this is not normal.  The Rapps crashing frequently are really annoying me.  Please advise.

NOTE: This is consistent on both PC and laptop.  Browser makes no difference I can tell.

• Administrators

Would you be able to do it this way? https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/15258/

There was an issue a long time ago where Bitdefender was causing issues for the interface - they did patch this but that's why I want to check that it hasn't regressed and is causing issues again.