XR500 WiFi speeds low, constantly dropping and Ethernet connection dropping.

Hi all, 

advised to post here by the very helpful @Newfie. Got the xr500 last week. I have full fiber with BT and I could not get the router to work plugged directly into my fiber box. I have it set up now as an access point plugged into the isp provided router. It does not seem to be performing as expected. Wifi coverage is awful and constantly dropping, the speeds on WiFi are about 10% of what I’m getting in my isp provided hub and even the Ethernet cuts out from time to time. I’m on the most up to date firmware. Anyone got any ideas?

Hi, thanks for posting here. 

@Netduma Fraser is a wizard at connections and knows just about every connection out there so I’m sure he will double check your connection out as I am not familiar with fibre connections.

we need to get you connect as in AP mode many router functions are not working as it’s just an Access point.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

So in Access Point mode all the DumaOS features are disabled which also gives us very little settings to change in order to troubleshoot. The fact it is working in AP mode means you do have it connected to a router and not a modem so there should be no issue getting internet through it. Does the ISP router also provide WiFi? If you take it out of router mode and then reboot the router, do you have internet?

I have internet in both access point and router mode when it is plugged into my ISP router. My ISP router has WiFi also, yes. The speeds on it are a lot higher than the speeds I am getting on the xr500. Can the xr500 work without my ISP hub? Sorry if these questions seem daft but networking isn’t really my jam 

• Administrators

Okay so take it out of AP mode. Then check on the QoS page in the Anti-Bufferbloat option menu that you have entered the speeds you expect. Have you changed any QoS options at all? Do you have a separate modem to that router or an ONT?

• Administrators

Understood thanks. You can connect it direct to the ONT but you will probably need to enter something like PPPoE details into the XR. The easiest way to do this would be to look at the ISP router internet settings and then try to put those in the XR, then remove the router from the equation, connect XR to ONT and reboot. Yes that is fine, just means data is being passed through.

37 minutes ago, conorsavage said:

Yeah. Set to 1000 down and 150 up. That’s what I usually get. The 5ghz band seems to get getting much more normal speeds. I know there is a speed difference but 2.4 should be getting much more than 1.7. 

What is the HT number under your 2.4 channel ie HT40 or HT20?

• Administrators

Have you double checked to see first whether you're getting expected speeds via ethernet? Also go to Device Manager and switch to the table view from the option menu in the top left of the panel and take a screenshot of the top part showing ports and link speeds please.

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you double checked to see first whether you're getting expected speeds via ethernet? Also go to Device Manager and switch to the table view from the option menu in the top left of the panel and take a screenshot of the top part showing ports and link speeds please.

ethernet speed is 850-950 down and 150 up - this is right. Its just the wifi.

Untitled.jpg

11 hours ago, conorsavage said:

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence is selected. Is that what you’re referring to?

Yes it’s stops it from forcing HT40 which in a built up area can create a poor connection on the 2.4 band and cuts down interference from neighbouring Wi-Fi. HT20 and HT40 in simple terms is the width of of the channel so HT40 being wider uses more channels thus increasing its throughput but at the same time can suffer interference as its hogging the channels. 

Under the 2.4Ghz WiFi setting is the channel set to Auto?

what device are you testing the 2.4 band on?

what devices are connected to 2.4?

is there any electrical equipment near the router ie land line phone?

Can you confirm your speeds on 5Ghz.

3 hours ago, Newfie said:

Yes it’s stops it from forcing HT40 which in a built up area can create a poor connection on the 2.4 band and cuts down interference from neighbouring Wi-Fi. HT20 and HT40 in simple terms is the width of of the channel so HT40 being wider uses more channels thus increasing its throughput but at the same time can suffer interference as its hogging the channels. 

Under the 2.4Ghz WiFi setting is the channel set to Auto?

what device are you testing the 2.4 band on?

what devices are connected to 2.4?

is there any electrical equipment near the router ie land line phone?

Can you confirm your speeds on 5Ghz.

So I have tried everything at this point I think. The speeds are slow on 2.4GHz on iPhone, iPad, PS5 and Nvidia Shield. All below 4mb/s. 5GHz is up at 70 MB/s average. Wired on all devices is 100 MB/s +. At my wits end at this stage, but I do appreciate you guys helping! In fact, if you share your PayPal with me, I'd be more than happy to send a few quid for a coffee/pint on me. 

I tried all the channels on 2.4GHz, I tried AUTO, I tried turning 20/40 MHz Coexistence on and off, I even upgraded to the beta firmware of DUMA 3.0 - No difference. 

I've attached a screenshot of my current 2.4GHz settings.

Untitled.jpg

A simple thank you is all we need but thank you for the kind offer.

on your iPhone or iPad which ever is the best could you go to the App Store and download WiFi Sweetspots, it’s free which is nice.you can try both devices if you like but to keep it simple stick with the best device you have.

On your settings tick coexistence so it’s on.

now on your device with WiFi Sweetspots first connect to 2.4Ghz and then start WiFi Sweetspots, be in the same room as router and be at least 6ft away, record the figure.

now connect to 5Ghz and record the figure, same position in room as above.

This app shows throughput of your internal network. 

make sure QoS is off and bufferbloat is off or set to max on the slider.

The ariels you screwed on are numbered so they match the ports, can you double check they are all on correctly. 

One last question, have you made any adjustment under the advanced section of the WiFi?

ive a feeling you might be getting the speeds ok as you are recording a 70Mb/s which is 560Mbps which might be confusing you however 2.4 should be better.

wifi very rarely reaches max speeds of a cabled connection, more so as you have such high speeds. 

That’s great, you have great throughput on 5Ghz and a nice straight line.

2.4 could be worked on to get a bit more but if it’s crowded it can cause poor performance.

I get around 100Mbps on my AX router on 2.4 and you are not far off that.

What many do is they use a free WiFi Analyzer which shows what Neighbouring Wi-Fi channels are in use and then what you do is you try to pick a channel with the least amount of channels being used by other peoples Wi-Fi. Of course if you’re in a very built-up area with lots of Wi-Fi it’s hard and that is where 5 GHz comes into play as the signal does not travel as far as 2.4 so you don’t suffer so much interference

Now to really double check you can install and it’s free again Ookla speed test on the same device. Again you can check both and make sure under its settings it’s set to Mbps.

do you live in a built up area?