XR500 WiFi speeds low, constantly dropping and Ethernet connection dropping.

28 minutes ago, conorsavage said:

Ookla is what I was using for the first tests and results are the same as above. I live in an estate yes but my BT hub was providing by much faster speeds than this. I’ll try the WiFi analyzer as you have suggested! 

To be honest that’s not bad results, you would be pushing to get any more. The 5Ghz is capable of a max of 1733Mbps but you never achieve that and a throughput of over 600Mbps is very good. Don’t forget MB/s is different to Mbps so that might be where there is confusion. 
the XR500 is built around the R7800 and that’s known for great coverage but even that would struggle to hit a gig over WiFi.

Here’s the thing with routers, there is no holy grail so it’s finding a router that serves your needs. BT might offer a bit more throughput on WiFi but it lacks features where DumaOS can help bufferbloat and you have the geo filter that helps to insure you pick the best servers. 
If you managed to get around 100Mbps out of 2.4 that’s not bad on WiFi Sweetspots. 2.4 is good for say devices like echos, or rings, all your low data devices. 5Ghz is great for streaming, gaming, devices that require quicker connections. 
often speed tests don’t show the whole picture, firmware can make a huge difference at the end of the day.

I understand the difference between mbps and mbs. I still think 65mbps down is awful when standing in the same room as the router that should be giving at least 5 times that. Not only that, but the WiFi just disconnects from my devices randomly. I’m thinking about getting rid of it entirely. 5GHz is fine, but my house is rather big and it doesn’t connect to my devices outside of that room as the range is much lower on 5GHz. 

8 hours ago, conorsavage said:

I understand the difference between mbps and mbs. I still think 65mbps down is awful when standing in the same room as the router that should be giving at least 5 times that. Not only that, but the WiFi just disconnects from my devices randomly. I’m thinking about getting rid of it entirely. 5GHz is fine, but my house is rather big and it doesn’t connect to my devices outside of that room as the range is much lower on 5GHz. 

There are work arounds like extenders and power lines, access points but if the property is too large you might have to look into a mesh setup.

I use the EX8000 extender and that worked ok with the XR500, used in both AP and extender mode but reality is if you game on the extender in extender mode it’s going to add latency. Off course it’s all adding costs at the end of the day which points to a mesh setup might be cheaper and better for the use you require. 

to be fair to the 2.4 and the XR500 you will never see 325mbps even up close. I’m running a RAX120 and on AC device iPad Pro I see 100Mbps close to the router on 20HT,  only AX devices will see 2.4 jump up and that’s a completely different kettle of fish. WiFi can be a tad entertaining at times. 

Did you suffer coverage with the BT router and was this their mesh setup?

Sorry guys, just thought I would post an update. I returned the unit and purchased a TP-Link AC5400X. No issues with it whatsoever. WiFi much faster, no dead zones etc. I think I probably had a defective unit but it has unfortunately left a bad taste in my mouth with netgear routers. Thank you both for all your help! 

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, conorsavage said:

Sorry guys, just thought I would post an update. I returned the unit and purchased a TP-Link AC5400X. No issues with it whatsoever. WiFi much faster, no dead zones etc. I think I probably had a defective unit but it has unfortunately left a bad taste in my mouth with netgear routers. Thank you both for all your help! 

Sorry to hear that but thank you for the update. Hopefully you consider a DumaOS powered router again in the future.