DSL Reports + XR1000

All, I’ve figured out why testing latency on dsl reports is a bad idea/inaccurate...or is it the other way around? I’ve struggled to find the optimal solution on how to test latency with my xr1000. Ping plotter doesn’t tell me much , connection benchmark is inaccurate on this .50 update. 

enabling QoS and messing with the congestion control doesn’t work on netgear routers via dsl reports. Why? I have zero clue. It gives me a C or even worse rating for bufferbloat even when I use CC. I have fios 1k/1k, 500 down, 900 up. Minimal download latency and a ton of upload latency when I run the test.

note with Dsl reports, you need to make sure firewalls are disabled on all aspects or else you will get tons of latency.

when I used the R2, it was amazing at doing dsl report tests, super low latency. With Enabled Qos btw 

whenever I disable Qos on the xr1000, voila, the exact R2 results except on my net gear XR.

now I asked myself, what is used in the net gear Qos that differs from Netduma R2? Both 3.0, must come down to a setting they are either not telling us about or a bugged QoS glitch. I know a lot of ppl been having throughput issues which I am not having but this seems to be another glitch with QoS.

Will messing with congestion Control affect the connection benchmark results? So I am know if it’s good or bad?

or is there an alternative site I can test.

And how are you sure that traffic prio isn’t a reason for other problems? It seems to be bugged 

• Administrators

Yes you should see a difference in the Ping Under Load results when you adjust Congestion Control - do the tests always with 'Always' selected. 

What other problems exactly? Why does it seem bugged?

None taken at all, always happy to answer questions :)

Ok got that. Still showing crazy upload latency on dsl reports. But the connection benchmark tests look better + ping plotter is a flatter line which is great.

any reason why dsl reports doesn’t like netgear qos ? I had the same issue on my xr300. But the R2 never had this issue!

• Administrators
10 hours ago, fiefo said:

Ok got that. Still showing crazy upload latency on dsl reports. But the connection benchmark tests look better + ping plotter is a flatter line which is great.

any reason why dsl reports doesn’t like netgear qos ? I had the same issue on my xr300. But the R2 never had this issue!

I couldn't say for certain but the XR routers have DumaOS over the top of NGs existing settings etc so there may be something there affecting it, whereas on the R2/R1 we created everything. If it is better on Benchmark and PingPlotter then I'd take their word for it.

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, fiefo said:

Anyway to reduce the NG stuff on top? Perhaps get it out? Cause it’s only harming my net 

Maybe in the future if they decide to go that way but not right now - they have a lot more options than we've made with R2 settings for example. I'm not saying that is definitely affecting it but it is the only real difference. It's more likely DSLReports, we don't generally recommend using it and opt for PingPlotter instead to diagnose issues.

thanks! any insight where that is i dont see it on dslreports.

since the new firmware on the same floor through a wall: A+/A scores (screenshot).

Upstairs my upload bufferbloat is still a F/D score (200+ms) through the ceiling, possibly due to fridge or duct work idk.  HOWEVER the ingame ping stabalized from 100-200ms on ultima online outlands to 40-70ms and that is fine by me:)

image.png.e84a0502b6def380ee9662d4edd86205.png

image.thumb.png.ac6713a207b38bd542f107a04222e3d6.png

• Administrators
1 hour ago, oroechimaru said:

thanks! any insight where that is i dont see it on dslreports.

since the new firmware on the same floor through a wall: A+/A scores (screenshot).

Upstairs my upload bufferbloat is still a F/D score (200+ms) through the ceiling, possibly due to fridge or duct work idk.  HOWEVER the ingame ping stabalized from 100-200ms on ultima online outlands to 40-70ms and that is fine by me:)

Click on the Download Method dropdown list and you can select it from there.