Ping Increasing

Unfinished

I have been running benchmark test for the last two days and had what I thought was a good ping under load, with all three figures being around 20ms.

Download speed was stable at around 17mbps and upload just above 2mbps (yes, laughable really, but that's the best I can get), and the results were consistent.

QoS download slider at 30%, upload at 20%.

Last night at around midnight, I thought I'd test again, with everyone now in bed and off the network I thought I'd get better results, but things went the other way, with erratic ping, spikes and an odd ping graph best described as a saw tooth with a rising trend.

I checked again this morning and have much the same. What would cause this change?

Screenshot_2020-11-23_at_00_00_12.png

No significant change. It's odd because yesterday, early evening my ping results were in the low 20s across the board.

It could be the phantom line fault, but no-one seems to be able to track it down.

Would a different DNS server make any difference?

I've looked at this a bit closer and have monitored the ping testing over a couple of hours last night. Some of the following behaviour must be down to the QoS features.

At some point whilst the XBOX was on, the R2 stopped all internet traffic to and from every other device in the house. The XBOX continued to work, I could access the R2 web interface and run tests, but nothing else. Ping testing during this time gave fairly consistent results of 24ms or so. When the XBOX was shutdown the ping jumped up considerably and remained so, but the XBOX wouldn't reconnect to the network.

I rebooted the R2 to get the network back up and tested the ping under load again, same results, XBOX on - low ping, XBOX off - high ping. A swap to the Google DNS didn't make any difference for what it's worth, but was just something to try.

I know very little about networking, but thought this might be of use. 

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 07.51.29.png

• Administrators

That is so peculiar. Could you do a test please so we can see if it's reporting correctly or not?

Follow this guide while saturating your network with downloads streams etc using your Congestion Control settings, use 8.8.8.8 as the target address. Do one with the Xbox on and one with the Xbox off please. I suspect the results will mimic the bottom picture in both tests. Then we can be sure it is a weird bug we need to look into.

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

• Administrators

Brilliant, that is great, thanks for doing that. At what Congestion Control percentage was that on? 

When the Xbox is on you're actually getting some packet loss there so that's not good at all. Definitely something weird going on. 

When the Xbox is on, could you have a look in the Network Monitor please and see if it's using any significant traffic?

30% down and 20% up. These gave me the best figures, but the auto setup gave me 1%, which was unworkable.

Network monitor shows some use over the two xboxes, but other devices have disconnected, as is often the case when the xboxes are on. 

I have always seen packet loss when playing Apex Legends, but that might not be indicative of a network problem. There are a few possibilities.

I have Cat 5e cables, which should be sufficient for my lack lustre connection speed, but I have a pair of new Cat 6's coming this week to swap out the older cables.

Bit by bit, I'm eliminating possible problems, but I'd say the R2 isn't entirely responsible for the packet loss. Who knows?

In a short while I'll be stopping for some food, so I'll run another check with the Xboxes off.

• Administrators

I realize it's frustrating but would you be able to do some more tests please?

• Same as above but adjusting the Congestion Control sliders as it's pinging and you're saturating the network - one with XB off, one on
  • If possible same 4 tests but direct to ISP modem

Also just in case, make sure you're doing these all wired please.

We are definitely getting there!

To clarify my network setup.

BT OpenReach Modem (HG612 3B) > Netduma R2 > LAN 3 > Ethernet Switch > Xbox One

LAN 4 > Xbox One X

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I realize it's frustrating but would you be able to do some more tests please?

• Same as above but adjusting the Congestion Control sliders as it's pinging and you're saturating the network - one with XB off, one on
  • If possible same 4 tests but direct to ISP modem

Also just in case, make sure you're doing these all wired please.

We are definitely getting there!

What do you mean by this? Do you mean ping the modem and not 8.8.8.8.?

Also, The Xboxes are wired, I'm not sure what could be wireless in this test, so presume it's all wired.

As for the frustration, well it is a bit, but first world problems really.

• Administrators

Sorry I'll clarify. When I say direct to the modem I meant have the PC and console connected to the modem instead of the R2 but I can see that isn't possible now. 

Just making sure the PC doing the testing is also wired. The switch is it managed or unmanaged?

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry I'll clarify. When I say direct to the modem I meant have the PC and console connected to the modem instead of the R2 but I can see that isn't possible now. 

Just making sure the PC doing the testing is also wired. The switch is it managed or unmanaged?

My Mac doesn't have a LAN port, so no dice there. The switch is an unmanaged one. Netgear GS305.

Presumably you want to cut out the R2 and check downstream?