Total Connection Loss

Unfinished

EDIT: Several problems have been resolved during the fault finding of this case and all that remains is for a firmware update to restore stability (IMHO). Kudos to the support team for all the assistance, particularly Fraser who has always been quick to respond. Top man!  

Hi all,

My first post and unfortunately not a very positive one. The potential of this router looks promising, however, only if it actually works...

I have upgraded to the latest firmware today, upgrade completed and then a full reset carried out. I then set about organising my network.

Long story short, after enabling auto setup of QoS, I lost all access to the LAN connections and then shortly after lost connection to the internet and OS completely. The router is showing a wifi signal that is displaying correctly on my network, but I cannot access the router or the internet. This may be co-incidental, as last night the network went down for a short while also.

I have turned the router off and then on again, but not another reset yet, as repeatedly setting up passwords and other settings is getting a bit tedious.

The router is plugged in via an EE Smarthub, which I have disabled wifi on, but there is no option to select bridge mode, this not being ideal, I have ordered a VDSL modem to replace the Smarthub.

Straight after the update, all was well, only now it isn't, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Of note and maybe worth mentioning is an error when accessing the OS - Error: Missing JSON response.

Edited by Unfinished
Update on situation.

It appears that the router is not being seen by the Smarthub. The WAN port appears to have gone down.

To clarify, the Netduma is the only device now plugged into the Smarthub (port 1), nothing seen by the Smarthub, port shows 0 connected devices.

Just tried a different ethernet cable, still nothing seen. I did manage to get to the login page on the Netduma, but it is saying that there is no internet connection, which there wouldn't be if there was a hardware fault on the WAN port.

Congestion control didn’t do anything other than recommend 100% on the sliders for either bandwidth or ping. It’s a moot point however, as I’ve lost all connection again, it’s still down after a power cycle.

lights 1&2 solid, 3 blinking and 4 (5G) off. LAN port 2 light is mostly off and rarely lights up under any circumstance. I can see the R2 signal on the network, but cannot reconnect. My NAS never gets identified by the R2 and is always shown as offline with no IP ever assigned. A couple of other devices will switch between LAN and offline regularly, is that normal?

Thank you very much for your help so far, I’ll pick this up tomorrow, perhaps when I’m not on a phone over 3G!

A couple of resets this morning. Still having issues with internet connection being lost. 5G WiFi light is intermittent, but mainly off.

I cannot rule out the EE Smarthub as a source of frustration, as that too has had problems before.

I have a stand-alone modem coming in the next day or two, so won’t give up on this yet.

Hi Fraser,

An update...

I tried the standalone modem and initially just had no WAN IP connection, however after a power cycle to reset the modem and PPPoE settings, there was no access to the OS, a further hard reset didn't help and I've had no luck at all getting back in to the web interface.

I've swapped out my old router and even used it with the modem in WAN mode only, to prove the serviceability of the modem. I have to say that it looks like the R2 is goosed, either the OS is corrupt somehow, or there is a hardware failure.

I've reboxed the device for return and replacement.

Update:

The new router arrived, so I set it up today.

It had the previous firmware installed, but I carried on through the setup and scanned my network. All devices that were switched on and connected, were detected and seen in device manager.

I set the DHCP lease to 168 and split the wifi signals. All was good, until...

Firmware updated to .179 and the problems started.

Update initially carried out OK (no reset at this point) within an hour or so of being up, I lost wifi, then WAN IP connection. A reset and reboot didn't help, but after several attempts, got the R2 back up, but LAN connections are lost and wifi is intermittent. 

It seems that either the new firmware is inherently problematic, or the reset has caused a hardware fault. This is all compounded by a potential external line fault that EE are blaming on BT, but an engineer is visiting my place tomorrow morning.

All in all, a bit of a problem that isn't all that easy to diagnose at the moment with several variables. Obviously with some of the symptoms listed, the guys at Netduma will have a better idea of what is happening behind the scenes.

I would just like to add that the initial setup on the old firmware went very quickly and smoothly, the post new firmware setup was glitchy and erratic to say the least.

• Administrators

Thank you for updating us, frustrating it wasn't smooth sailing the second time around. To start with completely unplug the R2 and have it hidden away before the engineer comes as if they see that they will immediately blame it and you won't get anywhere. Once they've made changes connect it back up and see if it is any more stable.

Update.

Engineer couldn't find a fault of any description, but a new master socket has been fitted with an integrated filter, not because of any fault with the previous one however, but "just in case".

After that I reconnected the ISP router (EE) and all was checked as fine. 

I then reconnected the R2 and let it boot, initially DHCP didn't assign IPs, but I carried out another power cycle and that sorted the IP to an XBOX, but it still doesn't assign an IP to my NAS. The NAS is on one of the LAN ports and is seen in device manager, but not assigned an IP.

Another issue seems to be that I cannot split the wifi, deselecting "mirror" recycles the wifi and I drop out momentarily, only to reconnect with the "mirror" option still selected. Both 2.4G and 5G are transmitting and the device manager shows a number of devices on both frequencies, but I guess on the same channel?

Something else to note is that I have a TP Link wifi extender over mains. I've switched this off for now, as there is a possibility for a source of interference. I will troubleshoot that once I've monitored the pared down network for stability. There is still the issue with intermittent internet dropout late afternoon, early evening, but this appears to be line related and independent of either of the routers that I have tried so far.

I can normally login to the web interface of the NAS via the LAN, but the R2 either hasn't allocated or seen an IP address for it.

I'll need to find a way to connect via LAN, but new MacBooks don't have ethernet connections, so I might try a reset and see if it defaults back to DHCP. I have a feeling that it might be using a static address from the previous network setup.

I'm using Safari.

For info, the system has been rock solid for over 24 hours so far, but I have not messed with many settings yet...

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Unfinished said:

I've installed Chrome and have managed to split the wifi settings.

The NAS has been reset and the R2 has issued an IP under DHCP. Things are looking good.

Brilliant to hear that, thanks for the update!

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Unfinished said:

Actually, the wifi hasn't split, it's reverted back to mirrored.

All other function working as described so far.

Did you name the 2.4/5GHz differently so you know whether it is split? For example, is it definitely still mirrored or is 5GHz not broadcasting at all?

I've just tried renaming the two frequencies. I was expecting to see a 2.4 and a 5G signal on device manager, but now there is only a 2.4G frequency shown where previously 5G was also shown. Oddly, I no longer see the R2 wireless signal on my Mac wifi networks.

If I have mirrored settings, I see 2.4G and 5G frequencies on device manager and the R2 is visible in the Mac wifi network preferences.