Fiber connection XR700

50 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It will be possible but it wouldn't be done quickly. If you know the VLAN/PPPoE details then you can add them to the router pretty easily. Double check with the ISP as to what details you need.

@Netduma Fraser @Netduma Alex  yes they give the details required to set-up but they use Routed-IP for their IPTV service 

@Netduma Fraser the login details for PPPoE they give them and for VLAN I could find this 

We provide 3 services over the fiber optic and copper connection.

Internet access

TV (IPTV)

Telephony

For these services we use virtual networks, or VLANs. Your modem splits these VLANs and allocates the bandwidth: first telephony, then IPTV and then internet.

VLAN 4 handles the television signal. VLAN 6 provides internet access and telephony (VoIP).

Technical details of Television (IPTV)

KPN uses the Routed IPTV configuration instead of the traditional bridge method.

By using a router that supports VLANS and routing rules in the router, the TV receiver can communicate with both the Internet and the IPTV platform. With the routed method, the IPTV platform and the TV receiver are connected to the router.

In this case, the router functions as the last device from the TV platform, so you have to enable the IGMP proxy (IGMPv2). In addition, you must enable IGMP snooping on the router (and any switches) between the router and the TV receiver. This ensures that the multicast TV traffic is only offered on the ports of the switch to which the television is connected. IGMP fast leave is necessary to shut down unnecessary streams, for example the process of switching from channel to channel.

@Netduma FraserThis is some additional technical settings

Internet

PPPoE over VLAN 6 (802.1q).

PPPoE authentication PAP with a username and password (eg internet / internet).

Maximum packet size (mtu) 1500 bytes (rfc4638)

Obtain IPv4 address + DNS servers via PPPoE

• IPv6 address range + DNS servers (IPv6) via DHCPv6-PD request (in PPPoE). Using an address from series for router.
• 
• TV (network configuration)
• 
• Ethernet VLAN 4 (802.1q)
• 
• Address via DHCP required send option60 (Vencor Class Identifier) with value: IPTV_RG.
• 
• Specific route information can be requested via DHCP (option 55 contains 1, 3, 28 and 121)
• 
• Additional; Don't use DNS servers + default gateway don't use specific routes only.
• 
• Enable IGMP proxy incl fast-leave option required for TV signal in home network (min IGMPv2).
• 
• Local network (home network)
• 
• Hand out IPv4 addresses (private series rfc1918) + DNS server (s) through DHCP server.
• 
• Hand out IPv6 addresses and DNS server (s) (sequence of prefix obtained) via SLAAC and / or DHCPv6.
• 
• For network ports in devices activate IGMP snooping function (prevents TV signal on all ports).
• 
•

• Administrators

Okay so as far as I've understood it, enable VLAN, select tag group, edit the existing rule, change to ID 6, disable the port you want the TV on. Make another rule with ID 4 just to the port where you will connect the TV. Enter PPPoE details in Internet setup and you should be good to go. May need a reboot after all that.

@Netduma Fraser how do I disable the port where I want the TV on, how do input the dhcp option 60 ?

How do i reqeust to get this ISP profile in the router ? Is that even possible ?

It is the biggest ISP in the Netherlands.

@Netduma FraserThis is what I got from a guy who made it working using a ASUS router.

Netgear will have to make the firmware of its routers suitable for routed-IPTV where the IGMP multicasts have to be fetched from a separate vlan while the TV receivers are simply connected to the Internet for all other functionality.

@Netduma FraserThis is what he just yet responded to me, is this possible on XR700 or R2 ?

If Netduma / Netgear can create a profile for routed IPTV in which no vlans are used on the LAN side and a PPPoE connection on vlan 6 on the WAN side can be set up together with a DHCP connection on vlan 4 for IPTV and an IGMP proxy server is active between vlan 4 on the WAN side and the LAN.

• Administrators

If you don't need PPPoE then you can do DHCP 60 in the internet setup but not PPPoE at the same time. As far as I understand it if you were going to do VLAN then you would do it like below. If what that person said is true then it isn't currently possible. I can request the profile be made by Netgear but I couldn't say when that would be done.

image.png

@Netduma Fraser Yes it needs PPPoE, could u please do a request for a profile, ISP is KPN ftth connection, the Netherlands.

And for the Netduma R2 is it possible to get it faster as that is on your guys side ?

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm trying to configure fiber on my XR700 as well. According to my provider I am allowed to use my own router as long as I can configure VLAN10 (802.1q decoupling), I do not need to use a password and I will receive an IP from the DHCP. Nice and smooth.

Furthermore they recommend using a TL-SM321B Transceiver module, which is talking on Tx1310nm/Rx1550nm. Strangely enough, the one that is in the router from the provider (Siligence SGA 441SFP0-1Gb) is talking Tx1310nm/Rx1490nm. Support could not resolve this issue, but I have a CISCO compatible GLC-1000BX-U (talking Tx1310nm/Rx1550nm) and a GLC-BX-U (talking Tx1310nm/Rx1490nm) modules. I am aware that none of these are on the official supported modules list, and that the supported modules are duplex, but these are simplex, but as far as I understand (after speaking with the company providing the modules), this should be OK.

The problem is, that no matter which module I plug in, the router keeps telling me something is not OK:
image.thumb.png.0797f44682bed2fc94bf388f5d1d00c2.png

I believe the VLAN settings are configured OK:
image.thumb.png.a8341788eea66d4aa64e0d8d00555877.png

Any ideas what the problem might be? Is it configuration? Incompatibility? The Moon is in the wrong house? :) 

Thanks,
Cyd

• Administrators

Hey @Cyd welcome to the forum!

This is a bit out of our wheelhouse here unfortunately as it is a hardware/Netgear software specific question. The only things I could suggest would be to try one of the supported modules (if it would work with your connection) or contact Netgear support directly. 

Hey @Netduma Fraser, thank you for the quick answer. Unfortunately none of the supported modules will work for me, as the are all Duplex and my provider has only Simplex modules on their side. 😞 Do you know by chance if there's a configuration required for using a 1G module? The port is 10G, but I'm not sure if it can automatically discover the speed of the inserted module. At the moment the Duma OS for the SFP+ Module detection allows only 'Auto' and 'DAC Only'. Can this be a problem with the speed maybe?

Thanks a million.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Cyd said:

Hey @Netduma Fraser, thank you for the quick answer. Unfortunately none of the supported modules will work for me, as the are all Duplex and my provider has only Simplex modules on their side. 😞 Do you know by chance if there's a configuration required for using a 1G module? The port is 10G, but I'm not sure if it can automatically discover the speed of the inserted module. At the moment the Duma OS for the SFP+ Module detection allows only 'Auto' and 'DAC Only'. Can this be a problem with the speed maybe?

Thanks a million.

Honestly I couldn't say for certain, not many people have inquired about the SFP+ compatibility and NG would be the best to answer. Perhaps the best solution would be to convert the Simplex SFP to RJ45 (ethernet) for a connection using a converter - perhaps something like this that I just found https://www.optical-module.com/sale-9371807-simplex-duplex-fiber-media-converter-sfp-media-converter-single-mode-fiber-to-rj45.html

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Honestly I couldn't say for certain, not many people have inquired about the SFP+ compatibility and NG would be the best to answer. Perhaps the best solution would be to convert the Simplex SFP to RJ45 (ethernet) for a connection using a converter - perhaps something like this that I just found https://www.optical-module.com/sale-9371807-simplex-duplex-fiber-media-converter-sfp-media-converter-single-mode-fiber-to-rj45.html

Thanks, but that's exactly what I wanted to avoid. I was hoping I could use the SFP port in the router directly. From the SW perspective, do you see an option to force 1G on the SFP+ Port? Like you can set the SFP+ Module detection to DAC Only. Is there an option to set the maximum speed of the port? Or should it automatically detect the module?

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Cyd said:

Thanks, but that's exactly what I wanted to avoid. I was hoping I could use the SFP port in the router directly. From the SW perspective, do you see an option to force 1G on the SFP+ Port? Like you can set the SFP+ Module detection to DAC Only. Is there an option to set the maximum speed of the port? Or should it automatically detect the module?

As far as I can tell it is all automatic without the ability to adjust those options. You could try having it connected, applying it and then rebooting the router.

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As far as I can tell it is all automatic without the ability to adjust those options. You could try having it connected, applying it and then rebooting the router.

Yep, tried that. Module plugged in, warm boot, cold boot, the Internet Setup still comes back with Error. 😭 I guess, you have not seen anyone connecting a fiber module to the SFP port, have you? 

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Cyd said:

Yep, tried that. Module plugged in, warm boot, cold boot, the Internet Setup still comes back with Error. 😭 I guess, you have not seen anyone connecting a fiber module to the SFP port, have you? 

Not thus far no. I think your best bet is to login and create a ticket with Netgear here: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx or create a community post here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers and hope that someone has had a similar situation and has a solution. I'm really sorry, I wish there was more that I could advise you. 

Just one more question, @Netduma Fraser. The Internet connection settings are independent from all other requirements with the VLAN10 (802.1q decoupling), and the IPV6 settings, correct? So first on the Internet settings page I should see success, then I can proceed with the other settings. Or could it be that the Internet settings page shows error, because it could not get proper IPs and the VLAN configuration is not correct?

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, Cyd said:

Just one more question, @Netduma Fraser. The Internet connection settings are independent from all other requirements with the VLAN10 (802.1q decoupling), and the IPV6 settings, correct? So first on the Internet settings page I should see success, then I can proceed with the other settings. Or could it be that the Internet settings page shows error, because it could not get proper IPs and the VLAN configuration is not correct?

They should be but in the case of VLAN if it is required for an internet connection then that should be entered first.