No Internet Amber light

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Jameskelz said:

OK I have this now the router disconnected there for some reason

1603912349181675969809310250835.jpg

When it gets to this point just click next. It's just failing because it is trying to connect to the netgear website to get you to register the router. Once you've pressed next you'll be on the interface.

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When it gets to this point just click next. It's just failing because it is trying to connect to the netgear website to get you to register the router. Once you've pressed next you'll be on the interface.

OK I hit next it asked me for username and password and then it just sent me back to the start again where it asks auto setup manual or saved

22 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Did you get all the info off your f2000 that Corresponds to the settings in the XR500, if so fill away 

Yeah I'm not sure none of the names i have seem to match those and I had to reconnect the Internet for somone to do some work,I will have to try again later, its hard work when you haven't a clue what you are at,thanks again for the help

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can always screenshot the settings from the F2000 and post them here then we can direct.

This is what I have and I'm not sure where to put any of the numbers,I covered the numbers as I'm not sure if its safe to post them or what the story is

1603928994792454224255983518298.jpg

• Administrators

The F2000 provides you with WiFi is that correct? What are you trying to connect the XR to exactly? As you need to connect it to your existing modem/router which is the F2000. If you connect it to the F2000 (when the F2000 has internet) do you get a connection?

Guest Killhippie

Why don't you just connect your ONT (the white box) to the wan socket of the XR500 and add the settings from your router to the XR500. Simples, even the names of the settings are the same. :) Just one thing VLAN tagging is a bit messed up on the XR500 (not sure about the beta) so you wont have a functioning QoS which is kinda the point of the router. Just a thought.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The F2000 provides you with WiFi is that correct? What are you trying to connect the XR to exactly? As you need to connect it to your existing modem/router which is the F2000. If you connect it to the F2000 (when the F2000 has internet) do you get a connection?

Yeah F2000 works it just works poorly im fairly sure its slowing down speeds and every few days I need to reset it as it gets so slow, I hooked it up to the XR and now the Internet works on the XR but obviously ideally I would like to remove the F2000 from this chain

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You would need to put the XR in the DMZ on the F2000 and then disable wireless, UPnP on the F2 and then it should be better 

So you reckon there is no way to just remove the F2000 from the link?

Guest Killhippie
2 minutes ago, Jameskelz said:

I am going to be honest with you please don't take offence as you seem like a really nice person. If you cant put the basic setting into the router after all this time, I think it may be easier to stay as you are and do some research on how to do this kind of thing and come back maybe with fresh eyes when you have learnt the basics. If you think this is complicated the router may not be at this time what you need, just do some research until you can master the stuff people have been telling you. I hope this is taken as advice and not as an insult, i do not in any way mean ill will.

14 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

I am going to be honest with you please don't take offence as you seem like a really nice person. If you cant put the basic setting into the router after all this time, I think it may be easier to stay as you are and do some research on how to do this kind of thing and come back maybe with fresh eyes when you have learnt the basics. If you think this is complicated the router may not be at this time what you need, just do some research until you can master the stuff people have been telling you. I hope this is taken as advice and not as an insult, i do not in any way mean ill will.

Ha yeah no offence taken this is not somthing I have any experience with at all and I'm sure for experts like yourself it is frustrating trying to tell me what to do but I just bought the router for the increased speeds and the mesh support, I thought I would just plug it in and it work and If I knew this would of happened I would of chose another model and maybe I am just better off returning it, Thanks everyone for your time and sorry for being an annoyance.

You are never an annoyance, try what Fraser suggested to get you up and running then over time you can see how it works and became more confident in how routers work. We all started off knowing little 😊

some isp’s are easier to have third party routers, some are awkward and some dead easy. 

give it a go as you at least have the f2000 up and running, just make notes of what you change in case you need to go back a step or two. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Jameskelz said:

There will be but honestly keeping it F2000 > XR should not give you a degradation in performance if you do the steps I mentioned to make them work together and the benefit of removing it would be marginal but more complex.

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

You are never an annoyance, try what Fraser suggested to get you up and running then over time you can see how it works and became more confident in how routers work. We all started off knowing little 😊

some isp’s are easier to have third party routers, some are awkward and some dead easy. 

give it a go as you at least have the f2000 up and running, just make notes of what you change in case you need to go back a step or two. 

Ha thanks very much for the help and everything we fail at is just another chance to learn and improve so hopefully I can do that here.

58 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There will be but honestly keeping it F2000 > XR should not give you a degradation in performance if you do the steps I mentioned to make them work together and the benefit of removing it would be marginal but more complex.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.I will try what you suggested later but even as it is the speeds are better and the mesh is set up so I took a step in the right direction anyway which is a good change anyway,haha