New R2 router, speed is cut in half, issues with stabilizing ping

mike10522

My set up is a Netgear CM1100 DOCSIS3.1 modem, Netduma R2 router, and 1Gig down speed from xfinity.   All CAT6 cords 

Speeds and ping before the R2 router.  Very consistent speed and ping with multiple test throughout the day.  Even went as far as North Carolina (currently in PA) with similar results.

unknown.png

First thing I did was I ran the auto detect speeds, which the router set at 500 (half) Mbps down and 21 up.  I tried running the auto QOS settings for best ping settings and it took my congestion control down to like 1%.  I then tried to adjust and test it slowly manually and basically this is what I got for every test. 

unknown.png

The line running from my house to the pole is brand new, the modem is brand new. What can I try from here?

Set your speeds manually.  The DumaOS connection test is not that reliable I have found.

Then tune your QoS slider manually with pingplotter. You seem to have a lot of jitter on your line (not unusual for cable connections) and the auto setup doesn't take that very well.

• Administrators

As above, manually set the speeds that you expect, otherwise you're only applying QoS to half the expected connection. Then you can try different percentages to see what lowers Ping Under Load. You will need to use Always for CC as well to make it apply to the test.

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As above, manually set the speeds that you expect, otherwise you're only applying QoS to half the expected connection. Then you can try different percentages to see what lowers Ping Under Load. You will need to use Always for CC as well to make it apply to the test.

I've changed the test and run the test again. it's still jumping all over the place, I've manually lowered it 5% each test, doesn't seem to have any change what so ever. 

Cable connections can have a lot of jitter and if that is the case no setting will get it out. But you can tune it so that it lowers the mean.

Like in the pic I attached. You won't get rid of that spikes but you can see everytime I load the connection (I used speedtest.net) the minimum valuve also comes up. Only when I am down to 40/40 it sort of flattens out.

If you have so much jitter, the auto QoS will percieve this as bufferbloat and lower your settings to 1% like in your case. That's why it's better to do it manually.

bufferbloat test XR500.png

@Netduma Fraser   Also something else I've discovered is I'm getting false ping reports.  I'll get into dedicated servers with 20 ping and then a min into the match, it'll say I have 980 ping (which I don't or I'd feel it in game)  Which I feel is also giving me some match making issues in modern warfare.

12 hours ago, mike10522 said:

What am I looking at when trying to set it correctly?  You're 50/50 looks kind of better than the 40/40 (assuming I'm looking at the graph at the bottom.

Also what do I connect to for ping plotter to do this?

Your looking to smooth out these 'bulbs' in the  graph, you can't do anything about the jitter (the spikyness if you will)

Like for mine it seems to flatten out at 40/40%.

Target can be anything, just use 8.8.8.8 or the first hub after your router.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, mike10522 said:

@Netduma Fraser   Also something else I've discovered is I'm getting false ping reports.  I'll get into dedicated servers with 20 ping and then a min into the match, it'll say I have 980 ping (which I don't or I'd feel it in game)  Which I feel is also giving me some match making issues in modern warfare.

Just looking back at the test Bert is on to something, your Ping Under Load test is about as jittery as your average test which does indicate an issue upstream from the R2 as generally the average ping should be quite stable. Where are you seeing the ping increase this much, on the Geo-Filter or the in game ping reading?

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just looking back at the test Bert is on to something, your Ping Under Load test is about as jittery as your average test which does indicate an issue upstream from the R2 as generally the average ping should be quite stable. Where are you seeing the ping increase this much, on the Geo-Filter or the in game ping reading?

Only looking at the geo filter 

6 minutes ago, FunkyBooyea said:

@mike10522 Try just pinging the IP address in the 2nd or 3rd hop, replace that number where you have 8.8.8.8 and change the interval to .5 seconds to get a better reading. Then see if making the adjustments helps smooth it out.  

I thought I was supposed to leave it at a 2.5 interval,  Fraser said in another post setting it below 2.5 could give you false readings.

@Netduma Fraser  couldn't get the 950 ping to happen again but now my ping is higher.  Out of the 4 lobbies I played in all were 40-60 ping (vs the 20-30 I had last night)    Also with my distance covering the entire east coast, it's taking me a very long time to find matches (no ping assist).  Is it just modern warfare has no servers on the east coast?

1 minute ago, mike10522 said:

I thought I was supposed to leave it at a 2.5 interval,  Fraser said in another post setting it below 2.5 could give you false readings.

Ah, possibly... good to know.  I have always just changed the interval for different things when I use ping plotter.  Go with what you know I guess ;)

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, mike10522 said:

@Netduma Fraser  couldn't get the 950 ping to happen again but now my ping is higher.  Out of the 4 lobbies I played in all were 40-60 ping (vs the 20-30 I had last night)    Also with my distance covering the entire east coast, it's taking me a very long time to find matches (no ping assist).  Is it just modern warfare has no servers on the east coast?

I've sent you a PM, please take a look and see if that helps.

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, mike10522 said:

@Netduma Fraser  Installed the new firmware,  Should I be using call of duty or call of duty pc only for my geo filter? (playing on pc)

Change the PC to a PlayStation device type in the Device Manager and then add it using the manual option on the Geo-Filter.

@Netduma Fraser  yeah I got 2 back to back lobbies, dedicated servers at 20 ping so that did something.  Should I leave the GEO filter like this for everything? (apex is the only other game I play)  Or change it back to apex geo filter whenever I play apex?  (I always had 19-25 ping in apex no issues)

Should I be worried about not being able to find a stabilized QOS for my idle ping/jitter?

• Administrators

Great! Yes leave it like that for all the games you play on PC. Due to some compatibility issues with Apex at the moment may be best to disable it for this. Are you seeing the kind of variance in ping from those graphs when pinging the game on the Geo-Filter? If not then don't worry.