R2 setup on an Xfinity modem/Router

Shecki

So, I bought the R2 specifically for my Xbox. Currently the house is on an Xfinity router (I'm in the US) and the house runs off of Google wifi units and the only things are wired to the router directly are two PC's in the room with the router and the main Google wifi unit. My Xbox is in another room on the other end of the house so my plan was to run a MoCA adapter in that room to get an internet signal and just plug the router in from that. I haven't got the MoCA adapter yet (it comes today), but the router came yesterday, so I figured I would set it up off the Xfinity modem/router last night so that it would be good to go when the MoCA came in today. Well, when I plug everything into the R2 and run ethernet from the R2 to the Xfinity router, I get nothing. The PC's don't get a connection. Do I have to run the Xfinity modem in bridged in order for the devices plugged into the R2 to recognize a connection? I'm wondering if this will pose a problem when I go to run the R2 of the MoCA? Will I not be able to run two routers off the same modem signal? Is my only way around this to buy another modem and pay for another service in the house? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Did you go through the R2 setup wizard when you connected it up? Just to double check did you connect the blue internet port on the R2 to a LAN port on the Xfinity?

I have Xfinity also and my setup was odd compared to the R1 or other routers.  Before the R2, I'd connect the router to the modem, it would get a IP address, connect to internet, things were easy.  With the R2, I got an odd screen that said something to the effect of "Can't connect, do you want to setup WLAN?".

I don't know if that's a normal thing for the R2, specific to Xfinity, or what but it's not how I've had to setup previous routers (R1, Orbi, and various other Netgear routers). 

And once I got connected to the internet on the R2, I didn't futz about with that part of it so I don't know if how I did it was normal. Once it worked, I just treated it like my R1.