MTU settings

SendNukes

19 minutes ago, CableGames22 said:

so how did you get that to work because i could not change it either for some time ago and just gave up trying to do so.."MTU settings changes"

if you can try putting your mtu to 10 and see if you can connect to online?

It was because mac cloning was auto enabling. I had to disable Mac cloning, then it let me save mtu

10 hours ago, SendNukes said:

It was because mac cloning was auto enabling. I had to disable Mac cloning, then it let me save mtu

Yeah my mac address cloning is not on and i can not set my R2 to  an MTU of 2. I want to lower this for testing purposes only but it does not work or i'm doing something wrong.. I Removed my R2 hooked up an old Dlink DL4500 and was able to change my mtu to any value i wanted. Not the case with the R2 and i know this will hamper my gaming experience. This will also give  more latency, packet loss, retransmitted fragmented packets and a working MTU settings, none the less.

• Administrators
17 hours ago, CableGames22 said:

Yeah my mac address cloning is not on and i can not set my R2 to  an MTU of 2. I want to lower this for testing purposes only but it does not work or i'm doing something wrong.. I Removed my R2 hooked up an old Dlink DL4500 and was able to change my mtu to any value i wanted. Not the case with the R2 and i know this will hamper my gaming experience. This will also give  more latency, packet loss, retransmitted fragmented packets and a working MTU settings, none the less.

What happened when you tried to change this to 2? I was able to do this just now but I am on the firmware you will potentially get next week.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What happened when you tried to change this to 2? I was able to do this just now but I am on the firmware you will potentially get next week.

nothing happened no change as if i never changed the mtu size lol. I tried to fragment packets but it did not work. works great on My old router but i'm currently using the R2 and can't try the R1 because i sold that off.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, CableGames22 said:

nothing happened no change as if i never changed the mtu size lol. I tried to fragment packets but it did not work. works great on My old router but i'm currently using the R2 and can't try the R1 because i sold that off.

Perhaps because it isn't possible to have a value that low for MTU, try a higher number and see if it applies properly. Also I'm not sure what your exact setup but if the upstream router is set to use 1500 for example then that would be what is being used.

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Perhaps because it isn't possible to have a value that low for MTU, try a higher number and see if it applies properly. Also I'm not sure what your exact setup but if the upstream router is set to use 1500 for example then that would be what is being used.

ok i will try a higher mtu. i think xbox live uses1480 

mtu2-576.thumb.jpg.e173ce53800dcd810bda008ec43b7a3b.jpg

My speeds are fine and that is what i pay for. even after trying to reduce the MTU size lower, my speed are not effected why?? I will upload the xbox speed statistics screen shortly. No fragmentation and no packet loss even after applying a smaller mtu size. again my old router will show packet loss and lower speeds indicating reduction of mtu workING and it gives fragmented packets and reduction in speeds along with packet loss but not with the R2?? I don't care i should not lower or try to raise these values from 1500  i'm telling anyone that reads this it's not working

mtu576.jpg

20200921_105451.jpg

the mtu does not change on xbox live despite me lowering it lol. 

13 hours ago, CableGames22 said:

mtu2-576.thumb.jpg.e173ce53800dcd810bda008ec43b7a3b.jpg

My speeds are fine and that is what i pay for. even after trying to reduce the MTU size lower, my speed are not effected why?? I will upload the xbox speed statistics screen shortly. No fragmentation and no packet loss even after applying a smaller mtu size. again my old router will show packet loss and lower speeds indicating reduction of mtu works and it gives fragmented packets and reduction in speeds along with packet loss but not with the R2?? I don't care i should not lower or try to raise these values from 1500  i'm telling anyone that reads this it's not working

mtu576.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, what are your settings at and are you using an aftermarket modem? I'm getting good ratings but I'd commit adultery to get those ping ratings.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:32 AM, DeadEd38 said:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your settings at and are you using an aftermarket modem? I'm getting good ratings but I'd commit adultery to get those ping ratings.

the settings have nothing to do with line quality even if you had 500kbps up and 500kbps down. If your isp service is great you will get a good score. no router in the world can fix a bad (ISP) interent service provider.. You can see my overall speeds up and down then i reduced them, just look close at the screen shots. 300UP/DOWN. RUDUCED TO 50/50 TO XBOX, THEN AGAIN TO 4UP/4DOWN. Just testing 

On 9/22/2020 at 10:10 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have a modem or a router that the R2 is connected to? If it provides WiFi then have a look on it and see what the MTU value is, you will need to change it there also for it to work.

lol nope.. I have only ethernet out of ont going into wan ,"BLUE PORT"  of R2  with desktop computer hooked up to port 1 and xbox 1 hooked into  port 2 nothing else. wifi is turned off antennas still in the box the router came in but you say, i must look on there and turn it on for mtu to work?? lol ok i will try that. Or are you asking me if i have another router infront of the R2 then the answer is no. Only ONT and R2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, CableGames22 said:

lol nope.. I have only ethernet out of ont going into wan ,"BLUE PORT"  of R2  with desktop computer hooked up to port 1 and xbox 1 hooked into  port 2 nothing else. wifi is turned off antennas still in the box the router came in but you say, i must look on there and turn it on for mtu to work?? lol ok i will try that. Or are you asking me if i have another router infront of the R2 then the answer is no. Only ONT and R2

Thank you for the information, I will get the team to have a look into MTU to see if it is applying correctly.

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, SendNukes said:

That woujd be great. Because from what I understand,  reducing MTU can help alleviate packet loss 

You would only get packet loss if your MTU caused fragmentation and at the default that won't happen. It's one of those placebo type settings that won't actually make much difference.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:30 AM, CableGames22 said:

the settings have nothing to do with line quality even if you had 500kbps up and 500kbps down. If your isp service is great you will get a good score. no router in the world can fix a bad (ISP) interent service provider.. You can see my overall speeds up and down then i reduced them, just look close at the screen shots. 300UP/DOWN. RUDUCED TO 50/50 TO XBOX, THEN AGAIN TO 4UP/4DOWN. Just testing

Gotcha. My ISP is notoriously bad. I just wondered if there was something I could do within the current settings to improve my gaming experience is all.

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, DeadEd38 said:

Gotcha. My ISP is notoriously bad. I just wondered if there was something I could do within the current settings to improve my gaming experience is all.

Try different Congestion Control percentages while using Always to get your Ping Under Load ping down as much as possible in Connection Benchmark so set a percentage then test etc until you find what lowers it the most.

On 9/24/2020 at 8:00 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for the information, I will get the team to have a look into MTU to see if it is applying correctly.

Hey buddy if your mtu works can i get the firmware version that you have so my mtu functions properly??

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, CableGames22 said:

Hey buddy if your mtu works can i get the firmware version that you have so my mtu functions properly??

The team will still be investigating that so will have to wait and see when they can implement a fix.