New Docsis 3.1 Modem from Motorola

TG3NOC1D3

So i was looking around because Spectrum's in house locked down 3.1 modem seems to get some occasional ping spikes and really doesn't do well with downstream bloat. Ran into this guy and was curious if anyone knew about the AQM they're using inside the modem. Here's a link to the modem, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0723599RQ

That is a good modem.. There are two that I like.. One is the Arris SB8200 and the other is the one you mentioned here the MB8600 which is the Motorola.. Im also with the same provider as you are. Charter Spectrum.. When it comes to DOCSIS 3.1 modems id buy my own.. Dont use the supplied Spectrums DOCSIS 3.1 modems. They are locked down and have been having issues with there own in house firmware for there DOCSIS 3.1 modems.. When you purchase your own modem you are responsible to download any updated firmware from the company you bought the modem from.. So example of this would be if you bought the Motorola then you would have to get any updates for firmwares from them directly.. Not from Spectrum.. Which is what I like and want.. Also your modem wont be locked down to where you cant make simple changes if need be.. Even though theres not alot in a modem interface its still nice to have full access..

So you should be just fine with the Motorola.. Most seem to buy that one because its got a good price.. The Arris was a bit more expensive.. But as time has past the two could be fairly close now.. Both modems dont have the puma chipset.. Which is another plus!  

Good luck!

Zippy.

On 9/10/2020 at 2:01 PM, Zippy said:

That is a good modem.. There are two that I like.. One is the Arris SB8200 and the other is the one you mentioned here the MB8600 which is the Motorola.. Im also with the same provider as you are. Charter Spectrum.. When it comes to DOCSIS 3.1 modems id buy my own.. Dont use the supplied Spectrums DOCSIS 3.1 modems. They are locked down and have been having issues with there own in house firmware for there DOCSIS 3.1 modems.. When you purchase your own modem you are responsible to download any updated firmware from the company you bought the modem from.. So example of this would be if you bought the Motorola then you would have to get any updates for firmwares from them directly.. Not from Spectrum.. Which is what I like and want.. Also your modem wont be locked down to where you cant make simple changes if need be.. Even though theres not alot in a modem interface its still nice to have full access..

So you should be just fine with the Motorola.. Most seem to buy that one because its got a good price.. The Arris was a bit more expensive.. But as time has past the two could be fairly close now.. Both modems dont have the puma chipset.. Which is another plus!  

Good luck!

Zippy.

My bad on not seeing this yet, been on vacation lol.  The main reason I wanted to get it is that the 3.1 modem spectrum gave me still has ping spikes which I'm not cool with. I ran a ping in the command interface and noticed spikes of 20-30ms with no one online. To triple check I did this test just from the modem and low and behold, same thing. It's even more apparent when I saturate my connection even with the duma qos going. At this point buying my own modem seems to be the best call, especially since I'll be able to check signal levels at that point. They keep telling me "you're getting your full download speed and then some so just be happy." I'm not going away jusy because they claim it's good, the first non 3.1 modem I had show negative 7dbm on some of the downstream which I'm sure is the cause besides their terrible firmware as you said.  Thanks for all the info, gonna pull the trigger tonight 😁

13 minutes ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

My bad on not seeing this yet, been on vacation lol.  The main reason I wanted to get it is that the 3.1 modem spectrum gave me still has ping spikes which I'm not cool with. I ran a ping in the command interface and noticed spikes of 20-30ms with no one online. To triple check I did this test just from the modem and low and behold, same thing. It's even more apparent when I saturate my connection even with the duma qos going. At this point buying my own modem seems to be the best call, especially since I'll be able to check signal levels at that point. They keep telling me "you're getting your full download speed and then some so just be happy." I'm not going away jusy because they claim it's good, the first non 3.1 modem I had show negative 7dbm on some of the downstream which I'm sure is the cause besides their terrible firmware as you said.  Thanks for all the info, gonna pull the trigger tonight 😁

Your welcome! Please do let us know how your new modem does. Im curious on how your results will be with the new modem.. So feel free to share your results. As you know im not a fan of Spectrum.. I think your best chance possible to get a better grip on your ping is buying your own modem like the one you have mentioned. Its going to be your best bet.. Spectrum doesnt seem to be so concerned about latency which is a shame.. 

My neighbor who is on what I call crusty old dsl has a much better gaming experience and much more stable ping.. But he also only has 7Mbs down and 3 Mbps up..  But yet he games on it fairly decent tbh.. 

Anyways good luck! Keep us posted.

Zippy..

3 hours ago, Zippy said:

Your welcome! Please do let us know how your new modem does. Im curious on how your results will be with the new modem.. So feel free to share your results. As you know im not a fan of Spectrum.. I think your best chance possible to get a better grip on your ping is buying your own modem like the one you have mentioned. Its going to be your best bet.. Spectrum doesnt seem to be so concerned about latency which is a shame.. 

My neighbor who is on what I call crusty old dsl has a much better gaming experience and much more stable ping.. But he also only has 7Mbs down and 3 Mbps up..  But yet he games on it fairly decent tbh.. 

Anyways good luck! Keep us posted.

Zippy..

I definitely will, my upload is amazing and has pretty minimal bloat once curbed with qos. The downstream is just crazy due to the noise or weaker signal. I had adsl back in Texas with at&t and that was a AMAZING latency plan. I was on fast path and consistently got 10ms idle like I do here but every game server I played on minus overwatch was like 8 to 12ms due to server location. 

I'm going to be looking into centurylink if I can't fix the latency issue with spectrum. Gonna look into doing a powered splitter coming out of the wall to increase the signal for the downstream. I'll post my current results and after results once I get the new modem in. Do you know anything about their AQM or auto queue management they talk about? Would that interfere at all with the duma qos? 

Thanks again brother 🥃

I have Spectrum cable and internet.  I went from CM600 to CM1200 because of the DOCSIS 3.1 features.  I got big lag spikes, increased ping and it seem more unstable.   I used ping plotter for weeks working with Spectrum to compared results from CM600 to CM1200.  One of the techs told me off the record that a lot people were having problems with the DOCSIS 3.1 modems.  Spectrum officially stated that the problems were associated with the modem or network congestion due to Covid 19. 

After a couple of months, I just went back to the CM600.    I am curious to see how this modem performs for you.

2 hours ago, UK_Wildcats_Fans said:

I have Spectrum cable and internet.  I went from CM600 to CM1200 because of the DOCSIS 3.1 features.  I got big lag spikes, increased ping and it seem more unstable.   I used ping plotter for weeks working with Spectrum to compared results from CM600 to CM1200.  One of the techs told me off the record that a lot people were having problems with the DOCSIS 3.1 modems.  Spectrum officially stated that the problems were associated with the modem or network congestion due to Covid 19. 

After a couple of months, I just went back to the CM600.    I am curious to see how this modem performs for you.

Well unfortunately this modem isn't available in my area, so i'm gonna pull the trigger on the Arris SB8200. The MB8200 seems to be out of stock and the price on it is ridiculous for just getting aqm inside the modem. Once i receive the Arris I'll let you know what I see results wise.

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, mildredlopez said:

Hello, I lost my internet connection. I have Motorola modem. It shows me the receive is on, but the send and the online lights are off. Any help?

What model of modem do you have? And can you elaborate a bit more of what your problem is exactly?  When you say you lost internet connection where are you noticing this at? At the router level or at the modem level?  Also what router are you using?

Thanks!

Zippy.