no connection to ethernet

Wayne1985

Hi,

I received the R2 yesterday and set it up following the guide. wifi is working fine and seems stable but i cannot get a connection from any of the ethernet ports to my PS4 or laptop, i've tried all 4 ports and 2 different cables which i used on my isp router.

I'm with Virgin Media and have the superhub 3 in modem only mode.

Not sure why no internet is available via ethernet?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne.

Hi,

All PS4 settings are set to automatic and it hasn't got a static ip assigned.

My virgin v6 box is connected via ethernet and also says 'no network connectivity' and I tried a laptop on ethernet and that also has no connectivity.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Wayne1985 said:

Hi,

All PS4 settings are set to automatic and it hasn't got a static ip assigned.

My virgin v6 box is connected via ethernet and also says 'no network connectivity' and I tried a laptop on ethernet and that also has no connectivity.

Hi Wayne,

Just to confirm, you're saying that the virgin media box cannot connect to the internet? does this mean you also cannot access the internet through the R2's Wi-Fi?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Wayne1985 said:

Will I need to give it a static ip and add to dmz?

Yes that would be best.

4 hours ago, Wayne1985 said:

Ok I have taken my virgin hub out of modem mode and now I can't get any internet from the r2.

Is it possible I have a faulty unit?

Reboot the router and it should re-establish the connection, likely unable to establish the connection after switching modes on the hub.

After resetting the R2 multiple times I managed to get it all working with the virgin hub in modem mode.

I tried it in router mode but I couldn't add the ip to dmz as the virgin hub would only let me change the last digit of the ip.

Is it possible the ethernet ports would stop providing internet again if I ever have to reset or reboot the router?

This is all new to me and my first time owning my own router I've always just used the ISP provided equipment and the only setting I've played about with is the ssid and password. I'm slowly picking it up by searching online.

Also do I need the DumaOS to be open on a laptop or desktop while playing games on PS4?

The only other issue I'm having is I only seem to be getting half my paid for download speeds when testing on speedtest.net but the connection benchmark in DumaOS is showing my full speed.

Thanks.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Wayne1985 said:

After resetting the R2 multiple times I managed to get it all working with the virgin hub in modem mode.

I tried it in router mode but I couldn't add the ip to dmz as the virgin hub would only let me change the last digit of the ip.

Is it possible the ethernet ports would stop providing internet again if I ever have to reset or reboot the router?

This is all new to me and my first time owning my own router I've always just used the ISP provided equipment and the only setting I've played about with is the ssid and password. I'm slowly picking it up by searching online.

Also do I need the DumaOS to be open on a laptop or desktop while playing games on PS4?

The only other issue I'm having is I only seem to be getting half my paid for download speeds when testing on speedtest.net but the connection benchmark in DumaOS is showing my full speed.

Thanks.

You would need to add the WAN IP of the R2 - you can find it in the System Information page, putting the IP you use to access the R2 interface won't work. If you need to reboot I would reboot the Virgin hub right after just to make sure it works properly. No you don't have to have it open, you can adjust all the settings you like then close your browser and it will continue to work. What speeds do you pay for/expect and what are you getting through speedtest.net? Are you testing via WiFi or ethernet?

17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You would need to add the WAN IP of the R2 - you can find it in the System Information page, putting the IP you use to access the R2 interface won't work. If you need to reboot I would reboot the Virgin hub right after just to make sure it works properly. No you don't have to have it open, you can adjust all the settings you like then close your browser and it will continue to work. What speeds do you pay for/expect and what are you getting through speedtest.net? Are you testing via WiFi or ethernet?

On the virgin hub the DMZ by default is 192.168.0.     Only the last digit can be changed but the wan ip of the R2 doesn't start with 192.168 so I cannot add to the virgin hub.

I pay for the M500 package on virgin and I get up to 220 down and 36 up on WiFi and up to 260 down and 36 up on ethernet through speedtest.net.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Wayne1985 said:

On the virgin hub the DMZ by default is 192.168.0.     Only the last digit can be changed but the wan ip of the R2 doesn't start with 192.168 so I cannot add to the virgin hub.

I pay for the M500 package on virgin and I get up to 220 down and 36 up on WiFi and up to 260 down and 36 up on ethernet through speedtest.net.

If you're not getting 192.168.x.x then that indicates the Virgin Hub is still in modem mode, is that the case? Do you have anything connected between the Virgin Hub and R2? 

It sounds like you're using QoS, is that the case?

20 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you're not getting 192.168.x.x then that indicates the Virgin Hub is still in modem mode, is that the case? Do you have anything connected between the Virgin Hub and R2? 

It sounds like you're using QoS, is that the case?

Yes virgin hub is in modem mode as that was the only way I could eventually get it to work.

When it was in router mode the R2 wasn't getting any connection and wasn't showing in the virgin hubs connected devices.

Theres nothing connected between the virgin hub and R2.

Do you mean the R2 QoS feature? If so then yes. I have the R2 all on default atm.

Sorry about this and thanks.

• Administrators

Okay set in back to router mode anyway, give the R2 a static IP on the Hub, then put that in the DMZ. Reboot the R2, if it doesn't have a connection then reboot the hub and after that they should be properly connected. Is Congestion Control set to never?

On 9/14/2020 at 5:11 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have internet now? Could you provide a full screenshot of the QoS page please? Yes it does get hot, make sure it is on a surface where the heat can escape and it will be fine.

Yes internet is now working with Virgin hub in router mode I gave the R2 a static ip and added to DMZ and disabled wifi on the Virgin hub.

DumaOS.jpg

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's great to hear. In the Congestion Control 3 line option menu in the top left of the panel, if you toggle the button to disable QoS completely do you get faster speeds through ethernet?

First test with QoS disabled I got 550 down but not every test gives me close results, it varies from around 350 - 480. Could that be due to peak times?

• Administrators

Yes that could absolutely be due to peak times. Although you pay for M500 the minimum guaranteed speeds for that is 258Mbps. You can see more information on that here: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

Really glad you're getting your speeds now!

thank you,

Everything seems to be working now.

I have noticed though that on the network map my all my ethernet devices go offline for a few seconds then back online every couple of minutes and also on the ports table ports 1, 4 and wan port disappear then come back.

And there seems to possibly be an error every 5 minutes in in the logs

• Administrators

It's probably too sensitive, as in if a device stops sending packets briefly because it isn't doing anything then it may appear offline. If you use a device actively does it ever go offline then? Don't worry about the log file, errors there can be normal, it's mostly for the developers.