Auto ping Host & In game ping differ by 30/40ms

Piplowe

When playing a game of Warzone the auto ping host feature normally states between 8-16ms yet the in game monitor states 40-50ms 

That can't be right though, I know the playstation is another hop from the router but an additional 30ms when the playstation on a wired connection seems odd.

Using an XR300 

Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 01.34.54.png

IMG_6639.jpg

Thank you,

It's so frustrating,

I had Plusnet assign a static IP address and the game played perfect for two days.Then it went back to the same poor hit detection / aim assist, shoot first die first and frame rate drops. 

So I'm assuming it's a ISP issue.  

I've tried with forcing a few locations without much luck. Italy worked a few times the auto ping states around 30-40ms .
I know to change the locations before turning on the PS4. It's so intermittent and you can wait up to 5 mins just to get into a lobby. Worse results if I try and use US servers. 
The frame rate drops when I'm close to other players and people seem to teleport. 

Am I right in assuming it's all UDP traffic for Call of duty? 

Yeah QOS is set

Anti bufferbloat set to high priority traffic (toggled Always too) Sliders set at 70%   50 Down and 14 Up 

Traffic Prioritisation
All Devices    DumaOS Classified Games    Enabled
PlayStation    UDP - Source Port (3074:3075) - Destination Port (30000:45000)    
PlayStation    UDP - Source Port (30000:45000) - Destination Port (3074:3075)    
PlayStation    TCP - Source Port (3074:3074) - Destination Port (3074:3074)

PS4 is in the DMZ of the XR300
XR300 in the DMZ of the Plusnet Router
XR300 UPnP on

Port forwarding
PS4 - 1935 TCP1935 1935 10.0.0.2

PS4 3478-3480 TCP 3478-3480 3478-3480 10.0.0.2

PS4 - 3074 UDP 3074 3074 10.0.0.2

PS4 - 3478-3479 - UDP 3478-3479 3478-3479 10.0.0.2

PS4 - 9307 UDP9307 9307 10.0.0.2

Can The ISP or Game detect packet loss if it's UDP ??   
Is there a way to test ?  

Everything seems fine until you run into other players and then the frame rate goes all over the place.  

• Administrators

Okay you've got far too much being done to the console there. Disable DumaOS Classified Games as you're basically trying to prioritize it twice so that will conflict. You're using 3 different forms of getting the ports open. Remove the port forwarding and leave the DMZ & UPnP on. I wouldn't be surprised if it played better after that.

Hi Fraser, Just to confirm was that leave the DMZ as is or remove the PS4 from the DMZ on the XR300.  I'm assuming the latter. 
Also on the plusnet router what do you think is best?  UPnP enabled and XR300 in the DMZ ?

Hi Fraser,

I tried above but no improvement in UK & European servers. 

I've been playing on the US servers (East coast) for that last couple of days, the games with pings above 100ms seem to more playable but still having issues. As I normally have to wait for 5/10 for a game of Plunder. 

Just seems like an ISP issue, 8ms connections to a host from the XR300 should be good enough to play in the UK servers without issue, unless it's lag comp gone wrong. 

I've attached a screen shot where the experience was really bad on a US Server,  firing first & no hit markers.  I was watching the send rate whilst moving and firing my weapon but it had no effect on the graph. 

Is there anything glaring from the graphs that may point to an issue. 

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 23.32.01.png

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 23.31.26.png

Hey Fraser, I tried Germany which wasn't any better, then Italy which was worse.  
I noticed that on my previous screen shots from the US, I had host tick rate but not when I played games in Germany & Italy

Germany -  seemed like I was half a second behind the play.  

707872250_Screenshot2020-08-22at18_46_23.thumb.png.43893fe7debf9f56dc718d0462516735.png

Italy - Milan dedicated server - Are the spike in send and receive rate a concern. 
1892809351_Screenshot2020-08-22at19_30_07.thumb.png.fcd62d731db758e04014dccf694aa8a3.png

I know this is probably ISP related, However,  I appreciate your help and the ability to troubleshoot with the netduma
I can see the antibuffer bloat working with a speedtest to fast.com  With a Ping of 9ms and additional 3ms when loaded. When it's off it jumps to 122ms loaded.  

Do you have any other suggestions?

Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 19.31.48.png

Hey Fraser, Tried above and not much difference. 

FYI - Open reach are investigating a line fault. 

It also looks like my upload has a Retransmission High setting.  Probably adding some Delay/error checking which affects the game.  

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Fraser, the fault was fixed but the issue is not any better.  

I think this could be down to the Retransmission set to High and Error protection off on my profile. Shown on the GEA result above. 
There doesn't seem to be any issues with download it's the upload.  Which is probably causing the issue with the game. 

When I run wire shark captures from my laptop I see lots of 
TCP DUP ACK,
TCP ACKed unseen segment
TCP Spurious Retransmission
ICMP    Time-to-live exceeded   
TCP Retransmission

Other Error
Reassembly error, protocol TCP: New fragment overlaps old data (retransmission?)

I'm not sure if the netgear can do anything to mitigate above, if so please can you let me know. 

Thanks

Here are some example Wireshark captures if anyone wants to reference. 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q8NWQwKNW0Kxzsxb0d1ICN5aFQi6E9XN?usp=sharing

• Administrators

Thanks for that information, some retransmission is expected just due to the nature of TCP but you are getting quite a lot. If you connect directly to the modem do you see this same behavior? Also would you be able to test with another PC?

Thanks Fraser,

I should have said the original captures where on my mac using the plusnet modem on a wireless connection. 

I've added 4 more wiresharks to the google drive link using another PC 

Two Wireless and Two wired
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q8NWQwKNW0Kxzsxb0d1ICN5aFQi6E9XN?usp=sharing

If the connection is having trouble with TCP whats the UDP like ? Obviously harder to diagnose UDP issues. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2020 at 4:59 PM, Piplowe said:

Hey Fraser, Tried above and not much difference. 

FYI - Open reach are investigating a line fault. 

It also looks like my upload has a Retransmission High setting.  Probably adding some Delay/error checking which affects the game.  

image.png

You aren’t alone with this. I reckon it’s got to do with too many ports being open. I am with talk talk fttc and when I test the speed on the PS4 through fast.com I see latency unloaded 4ms loaded 15ms download 67mbps upload 0.7mbps and the again if I test with iPhone same result but upload speed measures 17mbps. So without the upload speed the ping will spike. I had the same issue with o2/BE unlimited adsl2 a decade ago.