You should try to add a feature to limit the bandwidth on a single device

So, I've got 7Mb connection and at night when I'm trying to play multiplayer games I get unbearable ping (around 300) and packet loss (around 20-30%) because the portable compouter takes all the bandwidth. 1Mb for surfing the net is already enough (Google, Reddit etc.), but if I limit the download to 1Mb, then my PS4 will have that cap as well.

I desperately need a feature to limit the bandwidth, also because my brother who uses the laptop won't move a finger lower his bandwidth usage, but then when I made him taste what's the meaning of being without connection he started moaning and screaming like a crackhead on withdrawal symptoms and even tried to hit me.

I though this had been suggested and would be implemented in the new DumaOS but it isn't.

You can sort of do this by switching off share excess and just set bandwidth for various devices, but the only downside is that it doesn't work for other devices either.

If your brother uses wifi then that's the only option you have. If you use wired connections you can use a switch in between and limit the output to specific ports.

In what area?

Basicly in DumaOS you have a page that says QoS, here you will find bandwidth distribution for all your devices. There is an option there called share excess. When enabled, it shares unused bandwidth to other devices. When disabled the devices only get the amount of bandwidth you have assigned to them.

The switch thing. If your devices are connecting through wired connections, you can use a managed switch in between the router and the PC. In the switch you can set port rate limits. That way you can keep shared excess enabled in your router setting but limit that specific device to say 1mbit. It will never get more than that doesn't matter what your router is set to. But this obviously doesn't work for wifi devices. Since your brother is on a laptop he is probably using wifi.

For the first part, I didn't know that option, I disabled the share excess, set the bandwidth for my PC to 1Mb and by speedtests it can still get 5Mb out of 7, so there's something wrong with it.

For the second part, I've absolutely got no clue on what a switch is.

Did you set both download and upload?

They have a separate setting.

Also you need to have the correct bandwidth set I believe.

Another thing is, when you adjust this you need to click "apply distribution" otherwise it doesn't seem to take the setting.

• Administrators

In addition to the above, if you've made a custom rule for a device in Traffic Prioritization that will supersede QoS. Using the Anti-Bufferbloat feature should allow you to both use the internet without causing each other to lag. If you use the PS4 in Traffic Prio this should be improved further.