wifi keeps disconnecting and other issues

daz

i upgraded my rs to the new os last night and it seemed to be working fine but today it keeps disconnecting from my now tv box

always had problems with the r1 wifi turning off but this is different as it disconnects on this device only (so far that ive noticed) and goes to the main page of whatever i happed to be watching with an error saying connection problems then i click play again and it plays for 1-5 minutes before doing the same thing over and over

• Administrators

Firstly disable WiFi, apply, then reboot, then enable, apply and reboot again. Once you've done that, use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channels and change to that, that will rule out wireless contention. Are there are wireless devices (e.g headphones etc) in close proximity of the router that is a direct path to the Now TV box?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Firstly disable WiFi, apply, then reboot, then enable, apply and reboot again. Once you've done that, use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channels and change to that, that will rule out wireless contention. Are there are wireless devices (e.g headphones etc) in close proximity of the router that is a direct path to the Now TV box?

Still having the same problems :(

Sent you  a DM hope you can help

rather than start another post - 

hi i recently upgraded to the new duma os and i was hoping it would fix all the issues im having but it seems worse than ever, when i first bought my r1 i recall someone possibly yourself connected remotely and was able to sort it for me is this possible again?

my main issues are 

1- the wifi keeps disconnecting both before and after the upgrade and onlt way to fix is a reboot

2 -  my speeds are all over the place both before and after the upgrade , while my speeds on the ee hub do vary slightly throughout the day its nothing compared with the duma and i sometimes getting less than 1mb on the duma

3 the wifi range seems to be shorter since the upgrade and nothing else has changed since the upgrade

• Administrators

So the disconnects only occur on one device is that right? What device is it? 

What speeds are you expecting/pay for and what do you get? How are you testing the speeds? What is your physical setup?

For range there is not much we can really do about that - there are no power settings or external antennae to adjust. Have you changed the router position since the upgrade?

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So the disconnects only occur on one device is that right? What device is it? 

What speeds are you expecting/pay for and what do you get? How are you testing the speeds? What is your physical setup?

For range there is not much we can really do about that - there are no power settings or external antennae to adjust. Have you changed the router position since the upgrade?

It's disconnecting from the now TV box and firestick they are next to each other, it's like the update shortened the range somehow

Also the WiFi cuts off on the duma so everything but the wired devices lose internet but this is seperate from the issue of the now TV box losing connection cause I can be right next to it with my phone and that's still connected

Guarantee minimum of  35 download and getting 8 upload, on the ee hub I've never had lower than that on a WiFi test or ethernet test but when testing on duma I can get 2mb then retest and get 30mb  within a few seconds of each other wether wired or WiFi

I've got ee hub then an ethernet to the duma then ethernet from duma to Xbox and pc and everything else on wifi

• Administrators

Have you done a factory reset since upgrading? Its recommended to do so after an update to ensure no legacy issues carry over, that could be what happened here. Do the reset from the interface.

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you done a factory reset since upgrading? Its recommended to do so after an update to ensure no legacy issues carry over, that could be what happened here. Do the reset from the interface.

will do that now. im also in process of following the optimal settings guide to get full speeds but i cant find out how to set EE hub to bridge mode 

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You could use the DMZ instead, just put the WAN IP from System Information into the DMZ and don't worry about bridge mode.

I have no idea what that means lol, I'm also trying to play tf2 and my ping keeps bouncing 50 - 200+ making unplayable :(

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Take a look at this guide and that should help you: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076587-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-open-nat

Lets get that sorted first and we can then look into tf2.

says i have double nat, going to try follow the guide but its frying my brain

24 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Take a look at this guide and that should help you: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076587-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-open-nat

Lets get that sorted first and we can then look into tf2.

i was able to put duma in the dmz which has given me open nat but didnt understand how to open ports

• Administrators

If you've got an open NAT then you don't need to do anything further on that. Make sure all devices are connected to the R1 (would be better if you could disable WiFi on the hub as well), what QoS settings are you using at the moment and what speeds do you pay for?

16 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you've got an open NAT then you don't need to do anything further on that. Make sure all devices are connected to the R1 (would be better if you could disable WiFi on the hub as well), what QoS settings are you using at the moment and what speeds do you pay for?

ive not set up the qos yet since doing the reset earlier

ee hub is up stairs and everything connects to duma

ive also just signed up to nordvpn and no idea what im suppoed to do to set that up either , spending all day trying to set everything up properly lol

• Administrators

Do you know that you need a VPN? Get the OpenVPN configuration file from Nord, then when you setup Hybrid VPN use the advanced section and paste it in the box. Then use your username/password from Nord.

20 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you know that you need a VPN? Get the OpenVPN configuration file from Nord, then when you setup Hybrid VPN use the advanced section and paste it in the box. Then use your username/password from Nord.

sorted the vpn but now i have no speed

5.6 down

3.2 up

• Administrators

That's normal for the speed behind VPN on the router. We are looking at speeding this up which will hopefully bring the speed up considerably. I would recommend you don't apply it to the entire device but to specific service/application you want to VPN so everything else on that device runs at full speed.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's normal for the speed behind VPN on the router. We are looking at speeding this up which will hopefully bring the speed up considerably. I would recommend you don't apply it to the entire device but to specific service/application you want to VPN so everything else on that device runs at full speed.

but when reading up on vpn's it said it could help increase speeds in certain areas and help stop lag spikes when gaming , is this bs?

21 minutes ago, daz said:

but when reading up on vpn's it said it could help increase speeds in certain areas and help stop lag spikes when gaming , is this bs?

Most of the time a VPN will not improve the speed of your internet  but under specific circumstances, they can increase speeds 
for certain services. For example ISPs sometimes throttle specific types of traffic like streaming 
services (i.e.Netflix).  Honestly you should expect a small loss in speed when connecting to any VPN service due to the software having to 
encrypt and unencrypt every packet of data. It can be very software intensive. Or atleast this has been my experience.  

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

and now im back to double nat and moderate on the xbox 

• Administrators

Have you applied the VPN to the console by any chance? If so it's probably because the VPN blocks certain ports but unless you know you get DDoSed when playing online then you don't really need it for your console.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you applied the VPN to the console by any chance? If so it's probably because the VPN blocks certain ports but unless you know you get DDoSed when playing online then you don't really need it for your console.

i have yes but its still double nat when i disable it

ive opened these ports on duma is that right?

• Port 88 (UDP)

• Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

• Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

• Port 80 (TCP)

• Port 500 (UDP)

• Port 3544 (UDP)

• Port 4500 (UDP)

so if the vpn is no use for the xbox then its completly useless as its the main reason i signed up to it after reading that a vpn can cure ping spikes but your saying thats bs?

Titanfall 2 - Xbox One

• TCP: 3074
  • UDP: 88,500,3074-3075,3544,4500,8125,37000-39999

opened these aswell and 1 game and ping is better and nat open , also disabled vpn on console and restarted r1

saying ping is better after 1 game was premature lol