wifi keeps disconnecting and other issues

daz

• Administrators

I wouldn't advice port forwarding 53/80/88 as that could have knock on affects to other devices. VPNs will generally raise your latency unless they have very good routing to a game server and so wouldn't suggest using it unless you're in that scenario. If you do want to do it then using a gaming VPN would likely be better. For ping spikes etc you really want to utilize QoS, start with 70% for Anti-Bufferbloat and keep adjusting until you find what works best for you.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I wouldn't advice port forwarding 53/80/88 as that could have knock on affects to other devices. VPNs will generally raise your latency unless they have very good routing to a game server and so wouldn't suggest using it unless you're in that scenario. If you do want to do it then using a gaming VPN would likely be better. For ping spikes etc you really want to utilize QoS, start with 70% for Anti-Bufferbloat and keep adjusting until you find what works best for you.

so remove those ports?

can you explain why a ping test gives me a very good result but playing titanfall2 or other games and my pings terrible?

• Administrators

Yes I would recommend so. When you do something like a speed test and it gives you a ping value, it's just the ping to that server which is often very close to you. Mine for example is in the next town over, so its quite low. The game server on the other hand will not be as close as that and also will increase if there is any local congestion on your side or if they experience heavy load. What pings are you seeing?

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes I would recommend so. When you do something like a speed test and it gives you a ping value, it's just the ping to that server which is often very close to you. Mine for example is in the next town over, so its quite low. The game server on the other hand will not be as close as that and also will increase if there is any local congestion on your side or if they experience heavy load. What pings are you seeing?

Pinging 8.8 .8.8 gives 25-35ms all the time but the tf2 in game ping shows 45-250 and makes playing a nightmare

• Administrators

Are you selecting the closest server on TF2? It's very strange they would differ so much. Are other devices in your home using the internet heavily when you're playing? Have you tried QoS with it yet?

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you selecting the closest server on TF2? It's very strange they would differ so much. Are other devices in your home using the internet heavily when you're playing? Have you tried QoS with it yet?

Yes closest server, even if I'm the only one using the internet it's still same  and yes I've set up QoS 

Also the WiFi still disconnecting

• Administrators

Where abouts are you located and what server are you selecting? Could you provide a screenshot showing the in game ping?

I'll try and get you on the beta asap as should hopefully resolve the wifi issue.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Where abouts are you located and what server are you selecting? Could you provide a screenshot showing the in game ping?

I'll try and get you on the beta asap as should hopefully resolve the wifi issue.

I'm in the UK South Wales and I connect to the UK server London I think it is

Ye will try record little clip later

Well if I can get this ping issue sorted I might order the R2 but don't want to order it if it can't fix it

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That really makes no sense, if you use the Geo-Filter in Spectating Mode and ping the same server, what ping do you get?

How do I do that?

• Administrators

Change the PC to a PlayStation in the Device Manager and add it to the Geo-Filter. Switch to Spectating Mode, go on the game and select the usual server and on the Geo-Filter it should show the server and ping it automatically.

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Change the PC to a PlayStation in the Device Manager and add it to the Geo-Filter. Switch to Spectating Mode, go on the game and select the usual server and on the Geo-Filter it should show the server and ping it automatically.

OK seems to be some improvements

ping spikes on xbox and pc are now mostly still under 100ms but occasionally 200+ms

on the geo filter  the ping is solid 46 for xbox and 38 for pc and i know that the duma ping is supposed to be more accurate but i play the game i feel lag i press the back button and it brings up the ping and the spikes match up with what im seeing in game and not the other way around like some sort of placebo 

ive tried to play with the ping on screen but it brings up the score board too and takes up 3rd of the screen lol

also its really difficult to try and track things on duma while playing cause ive got 1 monitor and i use it for pc and xbox so i set up my old laptop to view it

• Administrators

That's fine thank you, I just wanted to see what the difference was. Geo-Filter does a direct from router to server ping so it's either the server itself that only manifests when playing on device/game settings. Is the device connected via ethernet or wifi?

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's fine thank you, I just wanted to see what the difference was. Geo-Filter does a direct from router to server ping so it's either the server itself that only manifests when playing on device/game settings. Is the device connected via ethernet or wifi?

Always ethernet

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you try playing wireless please and see what you get? It's not ideal but I just want to see if it differs from ethernet.

It was worse on wifi

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Very confusing, could you get that game screenshot please showing the ping?

This is from yesterday, only jumps to about 115 in this game but I'm many games it's much higher

• Administrators

Thank you for that. I don't think that is actually on your side at all, if you notice when the ping goes up it does so very briefly and then goes back down but when it does happen there is a lot of things happening on the screen at once. I don't know what your graphic settings are like but if you drop them down to their absolute lowest does the ping stop rising as much in situations like that?

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for that. I don't think that is actually on your side at all, if you notice when the ping goes up it does so very briefly and then goes back down but when it does happen there is a lot of things happening on the screen at once. I don't know what your graphic settings are like but if you drop them down to their absolute lowest does the ping stop rising as much in situations like that?

that was xbox not pc but its same on pc

my ping used to be very stable in this game at my last address with better internet (the box was outside ) , i have thought that maybe its the servers that are the problem but then some people still get great ping on the uk servers