SX10

Fuzy

• Administrators

Yes it has two ports for multigig. If you're going to have a WAN connection that fast - firstly I'm very jealous but secondly you wouldn't get that through the XR500, the XR700 would be a better choice to allow you to receive those speeds.

hummm!
Thank you for confirmation !
For the moment, I don't have the budget to invest on the XS10 and the XR700, but the combo could be very interesting to test ... in the perspective of using this completely crazy new connection!

You're better off with the XR700, because you need routing, the SX10 is just a switch.

Also I believe the SX10 only has a 10G uplink port. You won't actually recieve 8G on your devices. Same for the XR7000 really. It only has one 10G SFP port so your devices will run on 1Gbit. The good thing however is that you will never have any sort of congestion.

This also gives you the issue that you can get 8Gbit into your XR700 but since there is no second SFP port, your switch will only see 1Gbit. Unless you use link aggregation, but that uses up ports. 

I would actually look into more professional equipment if you want to use a 8Gbit WAN connection.

In fact, this type of connection has only "real interest" on a PC with a 10G card behind the ISP router. The XR700 will only limit the speed to 1Gb / s or even 2.5 Gb / s with aggregation ...?

Yes, you need something that can handle 10G.

In enterprise networking, 10G is only used for backbones most of the times, and clients still have 1Gbit connections.

XR700 allows aggregation on 2 ports I believe so that still doesn't get you up to 8G.

You need a router with a 10G Wan port, 10G Lan output and then a 10G switch. Full 10G switch, not just uplink ports.

Not really since the SX10 only has 10G uplink ports. Maybe you can use one device on the second port but then you might as well just plug it straight into your PC if you buy a 10G NIC.

And you need be able to use multiple IP's if you want to use a switch alone. Otherwise you need a router with a 10G WAN interface and 10G LAN ports.