XR500 Internet Dropping Out

I had an Internet dropping out last night, too.(It happened sometimes before)
I tried to turn off the WiFi connection and then turn it back on a few times sometimes the internet connection would be restored.

Still waiting my DumaOS 3.0 beta access...

On 7/14/2020 at 2:35 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Nothing in the logs there that I can see, did you notice anything blocked on the Geo-Filter? Do let us know regarding disabling DHCP. For the devices, did the IP in both the interface and device settings definitely match? No way to modify the least times unfortunately, I'm not sure why Netgear haven't implemented this.

Issue happened again last night with dhcp and server turned off on both XR500's. I went ahead and switched back to my linksys wrt1900AC as the primary router and gonna take this second one back since I doubt i'll get the beta in time before the return period closes. I was holding out to see if that would ultimately resolve. Turning off DHCP seemed to exchange one problem for another as the not being able to connect to the internet for some devices  while still having the internet disconnect issue happening. Really hope 3.0 fixes this. Thanks for the help.

Whoa...So Interesting update i found out in my particular situation. So It seems that apparently, this is some issue between Modern Warfare and spectrum (My ISP) it seems:

I never put the 2 together but this thread describes the exact issue i'm having and it always seemed to happen when me or my roommates who are playing Modern Warfare(Platform doesn't seem to matter but majority are xbox one x it seems which is the platform I play primarily play on but have noticed when playing on PS4Pro as well). Everyone is explaining the exact same issue I've been having for a while now. After I back out to the menu, it the internet seems to crash after roughly 2-3hrs at certain periods after I come back to the lobby. I'm in SoCal as well. Seems like it may have something to do with Spectrum interpreting Modern Warfare as a DDOS attack or something possibly. Maybe worth mentioning to some folks regarding this issue. Not quite sure if that's the case for the router as it seemed to have happened regardless(maybe someone else was playing without me knowing possibly), but I'll test this out with my current setup and let you guys know.

After some further research, it also seems to be 2 of the modems i've used have this near defective and problematic puma chipset that's likely the culprit as well:

Hitron E31N2V1(that I replaced like 3 times)

Netgear CM700 (personally bought)

Someone in this thread said that switching to a non-puma chipset modem resolved the issue specifically for the internet crashing when playing MW, but may apply to this issue overall.

If any of you guys with this issue have a modem on this list, that may likely be the problem. I've yet to test it out.

I spoke with spectrum to see what other modem options (rental) they have that doesn't have that puma chip and they recommended the

UBEE E31U2V1

Going to try and go to the spectrum store tomorrow to get one of those and see how I fare.

On 7/6/2020 at 7:37 PM, RGunlimited said:

Hi There, I've been having the same internet dropping issues as many others as I can see. I've decided to sign up in this forum and also register for the beta release of DumaOS 3.0. From what I've seen in other response the last thing I've tried after my recent drop (30 minutes ago) was to set NAT filtering to open after I've noticed a lot of 

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan]

in my logs which were timed close to my disconnects. In the meantime let me just point out that I haven't really messed with any settings other than the above. Any other suggestions (outside of the static IPs) are welcome. Lastly my ISP doesn't require login and I've set up for auto dynamic IP address from ISP and auto DNS from ISP as well.

** I'm tired and this post doesn't flow well, but I think there's some useful info in here for others, if this helps one person save a day of their life that they will never get back, I would die a happy man**

TL:DR -  If you've found yourself here, on this thread at your wits end, do yourself a favor and check your modem model against @Aswitch's post above and make sure ALL of your IPv6 checkboxes are unchecked before continuing down this treacherous rabbit-hole.

This issue can feel like a DOS attack, especially if you know how they work.

For me, what fixed it was this:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

image.png.a8120c8dcf80b09b3a19ce27f67a4514.png 

I enabled IPv6 last night via the DumaOS UI (idefk why, Netduma team,, see below 🤣) , and after hunting this down for a day and a half, I found a post that said IPv6 bad juju for XR500:

@Netduma Fraser - I didn't set up static IP, nor deactivate DHCP, and she's been stable for ~2 hours  ~3 hours, which is the longest since "the incident" manifested.

Windows users -- some updates reset your device settings, for example, after some updates, certain settings can get reverted despite the user explicitly setting them prior:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-reset-my-computer-settings/e58bcee8-f4c9-40ef-a452-1dc5db7c45d9

Digging around a bit while editing this monster of a post:

IPv6 is enabled by default in W10:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/90033-enable-disable-ipv6-windows.html#:~:text=IPv6 expands the capabilities of,may need to disable IPv6.

So if you've disabled IPv6 at all in the past,  there is a chance that certain updates will revert your change, and force this issue to rear it's hideous head.

After 18 hours total of triage and swearing, unchecking all of these stabilized my XR500. She's never done this prior to last night. 

My modem is a Netgear CM700,  which aligns with @Aswitch's post, so now I'm wondering if activating IPv6 in the XR500 last night, was the root cause, but either way, I lost a piece of my soul that probably will never return.

-SuperMario

This just started affecting me as well, at least to the point where I had to dig in. 10 hours on this issue yesterday & today total. I'm throwing up a VPN config in my XR500 as a temporary stopgap.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

RE: below comment --  Amazon already shipped it out 3 hours after ordering my XR700 plus I found out my R1 is getting the DUMAOS update on the 23rd some mysterious something on the 23rd. So now I don't need it, AFAIK.I went to cancel it, but damn they are fast! I might just keep it anyway, since I'm halfway to the whole set by now. 🤣🤣

I just ordered a XR700 cause I thought my XR500 was failing. 🤣🤣🤣

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Well done on figuring out the cause and thank you for posting the solution! I'm not sure why that would matter but very well done. Has it all been working well now since you found this out?

Sooooooo -- It happened again this morning, then Windows Driver Framework started chewing up my GPU resources, even AFTER removing all nvidia drivers. Just got my box back up now. I can tell you that yesterday, I saw the ARP table log record quite a few times, but when my XR500 imploded again this morning, I didn't see the ARP table log record. I can dump em if youd like, I didn't reset her yet.

At best, for now, this is a hail mary.

I'm going to do some more testing,  once I get my W10 image spruced up.

I'll circle back with my findings, no man/woman should have to endure this.

XR700 comes tommorrow, curious if my CM700 will implode that too. 🤣🤣💯♥️

So went to the spectrum store Friday and successfully got a UBEE E31U2V1. Since then have not had any issues since setting it up. But this is with my setup with the linksys wrt1900AC as the primary router and the XR500 i’m behind as the secondary router(with linksys having the XR500 ip address in DMZ). Played an insane amount of call of duty this whole weekend without one single crash or general disconnect from the internet. Safe to say this resolved my issue completely so far.

So it had to either be the modem and/or XR500 in primary mode or a coincidence of both not liking each other but i’d put my money more on the modem with the defective puma chipset as that possibly would explain the dhcp leasing issues. This technically happened before when trying my WRT1900AC with ddwrt firmware, but thought it was the router. So I’d say likely using a non-puma chip manufactured  modem ultimately resolved the issue. Such a frustrating ride, but thankful to finally get to the bottom of it!

Also made a mistake regarding the netgear CM7000. I actually had a CM1000, but had these similar issues(specifically the modern warfare crashing whole internet one). So could’ve been a scenario where maybe my particular modem had the chip even though they’re not listed to have it. I had the version 1 model but they made a version 2 model so not sure what they changed(possibly the puma chip).

I ordered a CM 1000, arrives Wed, but my XR700 comes tom. I'm going to try to implode the XR700 with the CM700 for a couple of days, but then that CM700 is going into the dustiest place I have in my residence. 

@psygn, I have to write something up, but are you on Windows? If so, can you try doing what I posted above (Ipv6 disable?) or Frasier has a flow to set static ips up for your devices and disable DHCP until the fix goes live? Is your issue with a gaming console or with a PC?

17 minutes ago, Aswitch said:

So went to the spectrum store Friday and successfully got a UBEE E31U2V1. Since then have not had any issues since setting it up. But this is with my setup with the linksys wrt1900AC as the primary router and the XR500 i’m behind as the secondary router(with linksys having the XR500 ip address in DMZ). Played an insane amount of call of duty this whole weekend without one single crash or general disconnect from the internet. Safe to say this resolved my issue completely so far.

So it had to either be the modem and/or XR500 in primary mode or a coincidence of both not liking each other but i’d put my money more on the modem with the defective puma chipset as that possibly would explain the dhcp leasing issues. This technically happened before when trying my WRT1900AC with ddwrt firmware, but thought it was the router. So I’d say likely using a non-puma chip manufactured  modem ultimately resolved the issue. Such a frustrating ride, but thankful to finally get to the bottom of it!

@Aswitch - I don't game much anymore, but a few months back (Apr-May) I dropped ~500 hours in Monster Hunter World to replace my lost save file, and the months prior, I put around 400 hours in GTAO to 100% it (CM 2,3,4), and this didn't happen once. I was using the geo filter to create peaceful grinding lobbies, and the XR500 not once did this ****. This was with the CM 700 modem as well.

I'd like to find a common denominator, as I too have Spectrum. I'm in WI, and typically it's super stable. Idk at this point if its the ISP,  because your issue was with gaming, and mine was with Windows, so deductive reasoning is leading me to believe some back-end ISP network changes are afoot here at this point. Not everyone across these threads with this issue has Spectrum, statistically that seems nigh-impossible.

Super stoked you resolved it Fam! 💯

@psygn - You stateside? If so, whos your ISP?

15 minutes ago, Kazamario said:

@Aswitch - I don't game much anymore, but a few months back (Apr-May) I dropped ~500 hours in Monster Hunter World to replace my lost save file, and the months prior, I put around 400 hours in GTAO to 100% it (CM 2,3,4), and this didn't happen once. I was using the geo filter to create peaceful grinding lobbies, and the XR500 not once did this ****. This was with the CM 700 modem as well.

I'd like to find a common denominator, as I too have Spectrum. I'm in WI, and typically it's super stable. Idk at this point if its the ISP,  because your issue was with gaming, and mine was with Windows, so deductive reasoning is leading me to believe some back-end ISP network changes are afoot here at this point. Not everyone across these threads with this issue has Spectrum, statistically that seems nigh-impossible.

Super stoked you resolved it Fam! 💯

Outside of games though, The internet would still die out for a time and then come back on it seems when a dhcp lease would expire it felt like it was doing it like clockwork(could’ve been a consistent coincidence that my roommates where playing MW at this time as well)This was only with the hitton i noticed so far though so I think that puma chipset correlation is still valid gaming or not. The CM7000 is listed to include that chip so that likely could be the common demoniator(puma chip installed modems).

Each game’s netcode is different. could’ve been a scenario where modern warfare possibly puts a unique aspect to ithe modem that games don’t, but hard to say. The fact that since replacing the modem with a confirmed non puma chipset resloved this issue i’ve been having for about 7 months now points to something for sure.

46 minutes ago, Aswitch said:

Outside of games though, The internet would still die out for a time and then come back on it seems when a dhcp lease would expire it felt like it was doing it like clockwork(could’ve been a consistent coincidence that my roommates where playing MW at this time as well)This was only with the hitton i noticed so far though so I think that puma chipset correlation is still valid gaming or not. The CM7000 is listed to include that chip so that likely could be the common demoniator(puma chip installed modems).

Each game’s netcode is different. could’ve been a scenario where modern warfare possibly puts a unique aspect to ithe modem that games don’t, but hard to say. The fact that since replacing the modem with a confirmed non puma chipset resloved this issue i’ve been having for about 7 months now points to something for sure.

Duh on my part - what needs to be asked is what modem they are using. For me, this just started literally 2 days ago, that's why I didn' t think the modem was the root cause, but that is the most likely common denominator. Good looking out Fam! 💯

• Administrators
15 hours ago, psygn said:
  • Set up the XR500 a week ago.
  • On the latest firmware.
  • Now getting crashes every other day and have to power off/on the router (previous router never crashed).
  • I have an Arris SB6183 modem that this router connects to.

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Does any of the above help you at all? Also make sure you've signed up for the 3.0 beta as well as if the above doesn't help there will be a fix by Netgear in one of the next builds.

Internet went out again, just browsing on my computer and girlfriend playing Fallout NV with friends.  x'd out my MAC addresses.  Last error logs prior to this set were yesterday at Tue Jul 21 13:45:53 2020 so I'm pretty sure this set has some meaning as the time matches up.

Does this seem like the Netduma R1 is exposing some issues between modem and ISP and my XR500 not handling it as gracefully as my prior router?  I have had random disconnects from time to time with my prior router in game but the Internet never remained down and I always chocked it up to game hiccup or game server issue.  With this router it seems whatever this issue is the router throws its hands up until I reset it.  I was able to access the router this time via 192.168.0.1 and soft-reboot it.

Arris SB6183 event log:

Wed Jul 22 00:10:54 2020 Warning (5) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Wed Jul 22 00:10:51 2020 Notice (6) Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4
Wed Jul 22 00:10:49 2020 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Wed Jul 22 00:10:40 2020 Notice (6) - Reinitialize MAC...
Wed Jul 22 00:10:40 2020 Critical (3) Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Wed Jul 22 00:10:22 2020 Warning (5) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Wed Jul 22 00:10:17 2020 Notice (6) Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4
Wed Jul 22 00:10:07 2020 Notice (6) Rng Rsp Abort Status - Reinitialize MAC...
Wed Jul 22 00:10:07 2020 Critical (3) Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

On 7/19/2020 at 7:54 PM, Kazamario said:

I ordered a CM 1000, arrives Wed, but my XR700 comes tom. I'm going to try to implode the XR700 with the CM700 for a couple of days, but then that CM700 is going into the dustiest place I have in my residence. 

@psygn, I have to write something up, but are you on Windows? If so, can you try doing what I posted above (Ipv6 disable?) or Frasier has a flow to set static ips up for your devices and disable DHCP until the fix goes live? Is your issue with a gaming console or with a PC?

I am using OSX.  IPV6 is disabled on the XR500 as it were by default.  I will try the static IPs route later and sign up for the beta, but I'm wondering if the XR500 exposed a deeper issue and my old router just handled it gracefully by reconnecting, in which case I'd rather get to the root of the problem and solve it there and not so readily slap a bandaid fix over it.

@Netduma Fraser Do the logs above seem like an issue the firmware will fix?  Should I get it looked at by an ISP tech?

On 7/19/2020 at 8:05 PM, Kazamario said:

Cablelynx Broadband (no other choice here)

9 hours ago, psygn said:

I am using OSX.  IPV6 is disabled on the XR500 as it were by default.  I will try the static IPs route later and sign up for the beta, but I'm wondering if the XR500 exposed a deeper issue and my old router just handled it gracefully by reconnecting, in which case I'd rather get to the root of the problem and solve it there and not so readily slap a bandaid fix over it.

@Netduma Fraser Do the logs above seem like an issue the firmware will fix?  Should I get it looked at by an ISP tech?

Cablelynx Broadband (no other choice here)

Ooof. First, get a different modem, it seemed to alleviate @Aswitch's issues. I understand not everyone has cash to burn, especially in these times, but it seemed to fix it. My crashes on my xr500 were related to some jank in a folder I had in my NAS, I recovered some files from a dead drive in a 2008 MacBook pro, then it seemed like this issue was exposed for me. If you have network attached storage attached to your xr500, remove it and reflash it with the latest FW.

The static IP fix should work. Let us know if you need a hand.

Alternatively, sign up for the DumaOS 3.0 beta, as the fix for the DHCP issue is in there. @Netduma Fraser - Still waiting on that bad boy

I recovered music and picture files from a cooked MacBook Pro (2008). This is when my issues started. I'm skipping ahead 5 days, but when I went to test the XR700 out, I made sure there were no errors on the drive, I ran chkdsk /F and she was clean before I went and hooked it up to the XR700, as soon as I did she spiked all 4 cores and it dropped her like Fury vs. Wilder. I deleted that folder and reattached tthe external HDD to the XR700 , and the cores readouts were butter smooth.

The NAS functionality in DUMAOS should be box level OS agnostic, correct? So if I'm running a Windows box, I can have Mac files on an external and not cause issues? I'm going to virus scan my friends folder I migrated to a different external and see what's in there. If it pops a hit, I know that whatever's on there took it out, but that doesn't make sense, because I'm not executing anything form the NAS drive against either router, hence the file compatibility question.

@Netduma Fraser - Also, moving forward maybe DumaOS should get some sort of virus scan functionality to detect BS on NAS storage files? If a HDD is hooked up to the router, isn't bypassing any box level OS virus scans? I need to do some more testing, and see if there is a virus in those folders from my friends MacBook, but again, I didn't call any .exe's to run, at least that I'm aware. That doesn't mean they couldn't execute based on 1-n unknown triggers, blah, blah. Getting closer.

Just got my CM 1000 modem. Will parse logs this afternoon to check the DHCP issue.

• Administrators

I do think the router has some issues around renegotiating the connection when there has been a drop etc. There will be a fix in a 3.0 build, one of the Netgear devs mentioned it. It's not in the current build of 3.0 but will be in one of the next ones. 

That's a good idea, once 3.0 has been released and stable I think you'll start seeing a lot more interesting features becoming available quicker. I'll put your names forward but it's still up to Netgear on when to send the invites.