Port Forwarding a Minecraft Server

Hi, 

I have been having some issues setting up my Minecraft server, primarily with port forwarding. 

My physical setup is just a NetGear XR500, I am connected to it via Wifi. 
L6FDNyz.jpg

I have forwarded the ports (TCP/UDP) 25565, and then as that did not work, tried 25569, and still no result. The server was unable to be reached by my friends, and when checking via canyouseeme.org, the ports reported as closed.  I have double checked that I am using the correct internal IP, and I have tried both the external IP addresses I have. Which is unusual, I know, because I have never had 2 externals before. The WAN address I see via DUMAOS is different from the one I get when search "what is my ip address" via google. Before getting this router, I had been able to search my ip via google, provide that to my mates, forward 25565, and then no further issues were had.

I have also tried re-forwarding the ports.

If someone has had this exact same issue, and I have overlooked that thread, please link me so that I can try to fix it there. Any help is appreciated!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sounds like the XR500 is connected to a router which is why you're seeing two different WAN IPs (the XR500 WAN IP won't be a public address) and why the ports appear closed, what is your XR500 connected to? If it is a router, you'll need to put it in modem/bridge mode or put the XR500 WAN IP found in System Information into the DMZ of the router it's plugged into. Then retest the ports.

Thanks! 

Currently it is plugged directly into the NBN box. When I first installed it,  I had an Optus modem plugged in, and then the XR500 was connected to that, however I didn't realise I could have it connected by itself. When I found out, I immediately put the Optus modem away, and now just use the XR500. Is there something that I would have to do to the XR500 that I should have done when I removed the Mode?

My housemate is currently studying networking, and has a router connected to the XR500, making the setup [NBN Box > XR500 > His router]. Not sure if that would impact it.

He also suggested that it could be that Aussie Broadband have a public IP that we are connected to, and the 2 different IP addresses I see are both our IP and theirs. 

1 hour ago, digz_au said:

Im with ABB, the standard setup for ABB's ip handout is CGNAT. If you haven't opted out of CGNAT you will have issues with gaming. Give them a call to have it removed and youll be given a public ip instead :)

Beautiful! This was the solution, Thank you!