Can't get rid of Moderate NAT Type with XR500. And game feels laggier than before.

Cypher

I'd say my knowledge is above average when it comes to tech/internet stuff. I can usually troubleshoot pretty well given I can Google almost anything. But I've completely exhausted my resources and don't know what to do anymore.

For starters, here's what I got. I have the 1000 down package from Cox. I have their modem/router plugged to the wall. And my XR500 plugged into their modem/router. Then I have my PS4 wired into the XR500. 

I've moved plenty of times in the past and have had numerous routers. So setting up internet isn't new to me. I forwarded the ports needed for Modern Warfare on PS4 and it still didn't make my NAT Type Open in-game. I made sure UPNP is enabled. I have geo filter turned off. I resetted everything multiple times. I'm beginning to think this is a Nighthawk issue and not a PS4 issue.

I never had a problem with routers getting over Moderate NAT even if there's a modem/router in-between them and the internet. I know turning on Bridge mode on the modem/router might alleviate that issue but I never had to do this in the past and even Netgear doesn't recommend turning on Bridge mode. I also don't know how I feel about using DMZ servers. I've never done it before but I read that it makes my internet more vulnerable to attacks.

Something I also noticed is my game lagging more. I play competitive so I'm in custom games lobbies 90% of the time. I would get noticeable lag spikes where my game freezes for 5 seconds and I would end up somewhere else in the map (usually dead). No one else is experiencing this in the lobby. There's also a noticeable delay/lag with my bullets actually landing on the opponents. And I know this can mean several things but if I can notice it with just a day of playing with people in similar servers then I feel it's legitimate.

It's my first time using Duma OS so I won't be surprised if I did something wrong with it. If anyone with more experience can help then I'd greatly appreciate it.

Did you just plug in the xr500 to the modem/router without bridge mode and that's it? You will get performance issues and double NAT if a router is not bridged. If it was only a modem then there is no need to use bridge but a modem/router needs to be bridged so that it acts as a modem.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

As above, if the CoX modem/router is in router mode then you will have double NAT/moderate NAT issues - that's just what happens when you put two routers together without adjusting settings on the first router. I would suggest you bridge the cox. Also you only mentioned having the PS4 connected to the XR - is that right? If so ALL devices should be connected to the router so the QoS can control your network effectively.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
23 minutes ago, Nathaniel said:

Uncaught ReferenceError: start_cycle is not defined

Any way to fix this? Current firmware on XR500. Reset done.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Where are you seeing this error exactly?