XR500 Crashing?

Hello,

My router is just past it's one year warranty period (5/19/2020) and running latest firmware. Talked to support and they don't believe it's a hardware issue. The router is crashing somewhat frequently and began about six weeks ago. It seems to happen more if traffic monitoring is enabled. When it crashes, all wi-fi and network ports cease operation, and only way to fix it is to completely power down and up the router. During this time I cannot access the routerlogin.net website either as it shows as down. Any potential fixes?

Reset the router using the rear pin hole hole method. Set the router up as new, don’t use a saved config. Test to see if that fixes your issues.

remember to make notes of credentials so that when setting up it’s the same as before so devices connect again without messing around.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have started getting this same problem daily for three days in a row now, about the same time around 2 or 3pm in the afternoon.

Quite a strange problem, the internet appears to drops out on both wired and wireless connections, I am not able to login or ping the router via 192.168.1.1. The lights are on and look normal on the router.

Today when I had this router crash I was on a work call on a laptop connected wirelessly but also with my works automatic VPN and my video call and internet access remained working while all other devices had dropped out.

I will check that I am on the latest firmware and perform a hard reset as suggested above. @Netduma Fraser ?

edit:

firmware v2.3.2.56

Have also completed hard reset using hole on back of router. Will continue to log any dropouts/crashes as they occur.

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2020 at 12:49 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Keep us updated on how you get on. I'd recommend giving reserved IP addresses to the devices as well in LAN Settings and see if that helps.

Seems like I've managed to go about a month until experiencing this crash again just now. I wonder what could be causing it.

Fraser are you able to give me a bit more info on giving reserved ip addresses? Is that to all my wired devices?

8 minutes ago, Dannyism said:

Seems like I've managed to go about a month until experiencing this crash again just now. I wonder what could be causing it.

Fraser are you able to give me a bit more info on giving reserved ip addresses? Is that to all my wired devices?

Reserve everything so they have a set address. Then make a note on a text file of them all so if a reset is ever done you can copy and paste them to save time.

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

Reserve everything so they have a set address. Then make a note on a text file of them all so if a reset is ever done you can copy and paste them to save time.

Just crashed again an hour later. I was able to get into the router software for a minute before it locked me out and I saw a series of DHCP events in the log. I will assign ip addresses when I get some spare time. Does that mean any time a new device connects to the network I have to login and allocate it an ip? 

Edit:

OK, so what I have done is;

Use router as DHCP server enabled

starting IP 192.168.1.100

Ending IP 192.168.1.254

I have assigned addresses to all devices that were connected and the sofware would let me to 192.168.1.50-68

I note there are still a few unknown devices that are refusing to change, ie. with ips ending in 2, 3 and 112

Does this seem correct?

• Administrators

Weird that you can't change those devices, may be they are offline or something. We had to pull the XR500 beta firmware due to issues but keep an eye out here for when we release the next version as it should fix the DHCP disconnect issue https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/bd-p/en-home-beta-npg-duma

9 hours ago, Newfie said:

Sounds good, are you running an extender by any chance?

No wifi extenders or anything but do have a have a 10 port managed switch.

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Weird that you can't change those devices, may be they are offline or something. We had to pull the XR500 beta firmware due to issues but keep an eye out here for when we release the next version as it should fix the DHCP disconnect issue https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/bd-p/en-home-beta-npg-duma

Could be, not sure.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Dannyism said:

No wifi extenders or anything but do have a have a 10 port managed switch.

Could be, not sure.

The firmware is now available on the beta site so please upgrade to that, then perform a factory reset and see if it persists.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The firmware is now available on the beta site so please upgrade to that, then perform a factory reset and see if it persists.

Thanks, I have updated to .104 and done a factory reset. I have gone back to DHCP being fully auto. Will post back here if any issues.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Dannyism said:

Thanks, I have updated to .104 and done a factory reset. I have gone back to DHCP being fully auto. Will post back here if any issues.

Great, please post in the beta forum if you have any issues regarding that as it's actually a Netgear issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have had to come back to the non-beta firmware version due to packet loss spikes every 10 minutes or so playing path of exile. Unfortunately my router is still experiencing drop out issues. Since allocating dedicated IPs though I am able to log in when the internet drops out. I collected downloaded the log file before restarting the router. I also noted the router said the internet was disconnected.

Any further advice?

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Dannyism said:

Hi,

I have had to come back to the non-beta firmware version due to packet loss spikes every 10 minutes or so playing path of exile. Unfortunately my router is still experiencing drop out issues. Since allocating dedicated IPs though I am able to log in when the internet drops out. I collected downloaded the log file before restarting the router. I also noted the router said the internet was disconnected.

Any further advice?

I've seen you've posted on the Netgear forum so I will reply there.