Port forwarding on XR500 not working at all

Every forward port I try is closed, according to port checking tools. I've tried so much. This is my usual setup. Everything is gigabit.

• I rebooted everything.
  • I made sure the Geo-Filter was off.
  • I tried a direct connection from the XR500 to my PC, cutting out the R7800.
  • I disabled the DMZ that was set to the PS4's static IP.
  • I tried with and without UPnP on. It's usually on.
  • I checked that the ports were correct.
  • I checked the ports that are supposed to be open for my NAS, too - same.
  • I checked Block Services just in case - set to never.

I'm really giving up, I've had so much bother with this router and the R1 before than when I had that. It's so demotivating and it's sucking the energy out of me, legitimately leaving me feel down as hell that it just won't work. This is completely separate even from the issues I have with the Geo-Filter. The cable modem has no interface.

Please help, someone. 😔

chrome_wqxMEEU9eU.png

chrome_R9JqrcsUDo.png

chrome_XcJ6OGKiM4.png

chrome_eFC9YvwV1U.png

chrome_uSxwaYJMvm.png

• Administrators

What are you trying to open ports for specifically/why is it needed? It's not a good idea to port forward 80 or 443. Also the external ports may not be the same as the internal ports which makes it tricky to get perfect.

There's no way to check the NAT status in Street Fighter, unfortunately.

Am I wrong in thinking that the ports should already be open, and that something is wrong? Do you have a recommended way of checking if they are in fact open as intended?

What will changing NAT Filtering to Open actually do? Is it a requirement to remove the port forwarding rules if I do that, or is it that they're unnecessary?

The best test, in my view, is to put a device into DMZ and see if you get an open NAT on said device.

If you do get an open NAT, then it shows that the problem is with the Port Forwarding config on the XR500, as the XR500 clearly has access to those ports.

If you do NOT get an open NAT, then it shows that the XR500 doesn't have access to the ports. This means that no amount of configuration on the XR500 will solve the issue becuase it's upstream. At that point, you'd need to look to your Technicolor Cable Modem for a solution.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Switching NAT to Open relaxes the firewall a little so that connections are not blocked as much. How are you testing your NAT/port status? If you connect direct to the modem and repeat your test is it open?

I don't know what you mean, and don't see any option to 'switch NAT to open'.

chrome_8CtfsI8CWb.png

I need to physically move my PC to connect directly, it's on a different floor.

Also tried the AP mode router as the DMZ, that's what the IP is there, but no dice.

Ah, I see, the toggle at the bottom.

I've tried using a bunch of sites like canyouseeme/yougetsignal/etc, using Test-NetConnection in PowerShell, and having a friend try the same.

I feel like I can't do anything to sort it, honestly have no idea how everything I've done or doing or have tried could be wrong. At this point I'd happily let someone TeamViewer in and look themselves. 🤷‍♀️

• Administrators

Thanks for that, alright so I spent a little bit of time on this and I couldn't achieve the outcome that you want either. If I use netstat -bn in command prompt that shows that the ports you're trying to forward, the internal port won't always be the same. So that gets a little tricky for port forwarding. DMZ and UPnP I wouldn't expect necessarily the ports to show open when using those either. Despite the sites saying closed etc I can get an open NAT on COD PC so it's obviously working with UPnP alone. I even went direct to my modem/router and had the same issue, to an extent the ISP could be blocking ports. If possible try to do modem > R7800 and see if by port forwarding you get a different result.

Just in case my experiments weren't accurate tick disable port scan and protection in WAN Settings as that could affect your results.

• 4 months later...