‘High Priority Traffic Detected’ switches off during COD matches

Hey guys, I’ve noticed a a strange issue with traffic prioritization while playing COD: MW on a PS4 and I was wondering if anyone could help. 

The ‘High Priority Traffic Detected’ red light now switches off for large swathes of matches. It comes on like clockwork as soon as COD joins 'Online Services', and during matchmaking - as you would expect - but once play actually starts it will turn off about 30 seconds into the match. It might come on again briefly a few minutes later, but for most of the matches it now seems to be off.

What’s strange is that during these periods when the red light is off, I can still see high priority packets being uploaded and downloaded in DumaOS. I’m not sure if these are COD packets or not (they’re certainly in the kinds of quantities you’d expect from the game) however what’s certain is that high priority traffic is not being detected at a system level by the DumaOS. The anti-buffer bloat should kick in and it’s not (I’ve done speed tests to check).

I’ve tried rebooting. I’ve checked that the PS4 is registered by the DumaOS as a ‘Playstation’ in Devices Manager. I’ve tried removing the PS4 as a device from Traffic Prioritization and just having DumaOS Classified Games enabled. I’ve even tried the reverse - just having the PS4 active and disabling DumaOS Classified Games. 

So far nothing seems to have worked. It’s an XR300 btw - running this firmware 1.0.3.38_10.3.30. 

Any help, as ever, greatly appreciated.

If you have done manual port prioritization, which ports or port ranges have you prioritized?

If not manual prio rules, are you using DumaOS Classified games or setting the PS4 as a Games Console?

The light going off indicates that no port or ports are being prioritized once the game starts.

I usually have both 'DumaOS Classified games' and Playstation enabled at the same time within Traffic Prioritization. I've tried each on its own. Still the same issue.

When I add Playstation to Traffic Prioritization, I just select the preset 'Games Console'. My assumption is this uses ports 1 - 65535. That's what shows when you hit the 'Advanced tab' for the Playstation.

2 minutes ago, local_celebrity said:

I usually have both 'DumaOS Classified games' and Playstation enabled at the same time within Traffic Prioritization. I've tried each on its own. Still the same issue.

When I add Playstation to Traffic Prioritization, I just select the preset 'Games Console'. My assumption is this uses ports 1 - 65535. That's what shows when you hit the 'Advanced tab' for the Playstation.

Try these manual rules without DumaOS Games and Games Console enabled. 

Source Port: 3074 (start and end)

Destination Port: 30000 (start) - 45000 (end)

Protocol: UDP

8 hours ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

Try these manual rules without DumaOS Games and Games Console enabled. 

Source Port: 3074 (start and end)

Destination Port: 30000 (start) - 45000 (end)

Protocol: UDP

Great, thank you - I will try this tonight and see if it works.

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you double check and confirm whether the high priority packets stop updating as well or is it just that the light goes off?

Just did a check now with your manual port rules, and yes the situation plays out exactly the same: you can see the high priority packets updating, but it's just the light that goes off.

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, local_celebrity said:

Just did a check now with your manual port rules, and yes the situation plays out exactly the same: you can see the high priority packets updating, but it's just the light that goes off.

That's great, thank you very much - so it is actually working, it's just the indicator that is stopped. Does your Anti-Bufferbloat percentage apply if using When High Priority Traffic detected when the light goes off but packets still update?

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's great, thank you very much - so it is actually working, it's just the indicator that is stopped. Does your Anti-Bufferbloat percentage apply if using When High Priority Traffic detected when the light goes off but packets still update?

That's the thing - even though high priority packets are still going through, when the red light switches off, the Anti-Bufferbloat switches off too. (I have it set to 'When High Priority Traffic is Detected').

• Administrators
On 5/15/2020 at 12:33 AM, local_celebrity said:

That's the thing - even though high priority packets are still going through, when the red light switches off, the Anti-Bufferbloat switches off too. (I have it set to 'When High Priority Traffic is Detected').

Thank you very much for checking that. I have let the team know exactly what the issue is. I'd suggest using Always for Anti-Bufferbloat and then if high priority packets are going up then you can be rest assured it is working.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
59 minutes ago, GT9484 said:

whats the 1 to 1024 on dest do? does it matter that we use ranges rather than specific ports?

1024 + generally encompass the ports that any game will use. Under 1024 are for more practical normal uses e.g. 20/21 FTP, 22 SSH, 80 HTTP, 443 HTTPS etc. No it doesn't matter that you use ranges.