Each time I make any changes to certain settings like QOS, bufferbloat, etc, I reboot the router (as I read this was recommended with any setting changes made). After doing so, I cannot connect to the internet via wifi (connecting to internet via ethernet cable on router works however). The only solution that I found that works is to factory reset the router, which then allows me to connect to the internet via wifi. Please help. Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You do not need to reboot after changing any settings. They either apply on their own - QoS or you click a button to apply it. How were you rebooting? How long did you wait after the reboot to see if the WiFi worked as this usually takes longer to work after a reboot compared to a wired connection.

11 hours ago, ToOFeduP said:

Next time you decide to do changes try this and see if it works..

Reboot, login to router, click on settings, then hit APPLY under internet setup..

Hope that helps next time.

I'll certainly try that.  I'll keep this thread updated on what happens. Appreciate you.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You do not need to reboot after changing any settings. They either apply on their own - QoS or you click a button to apply it. How were you rebooting? How long did you wait after the reboot to see if the WiFi worked as this usually takes longer to work after a reboot compared to a wired connection.

Thanks, glad I joined.

Oh I see. I didn't know that I didn't need to reboot with changes. This whole issue occurred twice. I rebooted via router login and rebooted via turning off router physically and unplugging it for 1 minute.

Once completely rebooted both times, I immediately tested the wifi by using my Android cell and macbook laptop, which both showed the name/ID of my wifi network, but internet connectivity was not working. Again, both times I just did the factory reset afterwards and internet connectivity worked.

• Administrators

Next time you reboot wait 1 - 2 minutes even if it is showing the WiFi as available and then see if you get a connection. My ISP hub for example takes almost 5 minutes for WiFi to be restored after a reboot.

On 4/1/2020 at 4:47 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Next time you reboot wait 1 - 2 minutes even if it is showing the WiFi as available and then see if you get a connection. My ISP hub for example takes almost 5 minutes for WiFi to be restored after a reboot.

So what I did was reboot my Netgear CM1150V modem and then physically rebooted the xr500 (turned off and unplugged for 1-2 minutes) and waited 5 minutes before checking wifi internet connectivity.  Ever since I did this, the wifi connectivity has been working (knock on wood).

However, when I checked the speed of the internet (using speed test and fast.com via Android cellphone and macbook pro), it's 20-50 down and 25-40 up.  I've always averaged 500-600 down and 40-42 up.  What do you think happened?  Do you have any solutions?

• Administrators
12 hours ago, JPA1010 said:

So what I did was reboot my Netgear CM1150V modem and then physically rebooted the xr500 (turned off and unplugged for 1-2 minutes) and waited 5 minutes before checking wifi internet connectivity.  Ever since I did this, the wifi connectivity has been working (knock on wood).

However, when I checked the speed of the internet (using speed test and fast.com via Android cellphone and macbook pro), it's 20-50 down and 25-40 up.  I've always averaged 500-600 down and 40-42 up.  What do you think happened?  Do you have any solutions?

That's good to hear! I'd first disable Smart Connect and connect directly to 5GHz and see what speeds you get then. If they're still slow then double check QoS isn't throttling and then use a WiFi analyser to find the least congested channel and then change to that in WiFi settings and then retest.

On 4/4/2020 at 7:33 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

That's good to hear! I'd first disable Smart Connect and connect directly to 5GHz and see what speeds you get then. If they're still slow then double check QoS isn't throttling and then use a WiFi analyser to find the least congested channel and then change to that in WiFi settings and then retest.

Wifi still working thank goodness. Speeds still low however.

I did what you suggested above and made sure both 2.4 and 5 wifi were on their own channels with no other users. Speeds still around 20 down and 20-25 up on both 2.4 and 5.  QOS sliders settings are 80% down and 80% up, when high priority detected, QOS on. I reset distributions for downloads and uploads also (all equipment on network equal). I don't understand why my speeds are still so low via wifi.  Could it be my ISP IP address connection status lease?  I've noticed that I have the lease for 3 days.  Does that automatically renew?  Should I use a static IP address instead of get dynamically from ISP in the internet setup tab?

• Administrators
23 hours ago, JPA1010 said:

Wifi still working thank goodness. Speeds still low however.

I did what you suggested above and made sure both 2.4 and 5 wifi were on their own channels with no other users. Speeds still around 20 down and 20-25 up on both 2.4 and 5.  QOS sliders settings are 80% down and 80% up, when high priority detected, QOS on. I reset distributions for downloads and uploads also (all equipment on network equal). I don't understand why my speeds are still so low via wifi.  Could it be my ISP IP address connection status lease?  I've noticed that I have the lease for 3 days.  Does that automatically renew?  Should I use a static IP address instead of get dynamically from ISP in the internet setup tab?

If you disable QoS completely from the Anti-Bufferbloat options menu do you get faster WiFi speeds then? Yes it would automatically renew but it shouldn't cause any speed issues, static would be a good idea just to ensure it has the same IP each time.

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you disable QoS completely from the Anti-Bufferbloat options menu do you get faster WiFi speeds then? Yes it would automatically renew but it shouldn't cause any speed issues, static would be a good idea just to ensure it has the same IP each time.

So what I ended up doing was factory resetting xr500 router using reset button in back of router and physically rebooting (unplug and turned off) CM1150V modem. Then I went through set up process on xr500 like when I did when I first bought it. I have QOS on, 100% on down and up sliders, and "never" on anti-bufferbloat. I pretty much have the same settings before the reset, but the only difference is that I am using static IP address from ISP instead of using "get IP address dynamically from ISP" (in internet setup/settings tab in netduma xr500 dashboard). So far my speeds are what I should be getting and are stable.  I will keep you updated if anything changes over the next few days. Fingers crossed.

One question though....I noticed before that when I had "get IP address dynamically from ISP" checked off instead of using static IP address, it said my lease would end in 3 days. Will my lease still end even though I now use static IP address?  Will this mean I will have to go back on "get IP address dynamically from ISP" and renew my lease manually before my lease ends every single time?  If so, is there anyway to adjust the lease length to infinite?  Is there anything I can change in the CM1150V dashboard?

• Administrators
12 hours ago, JPA1010 said:

So what I ended up doing was factory resetting xr500 router using reset button in back of router and physically rebooting (unplug and turned off) CM1150V modem. Then I went through set up process on xr500 like when I did when I first bought it. I have QOS on, 100% on down and up sliders, and "never" on anti-bufferbloat. I pretty much have the same settings before the reset, but the only difference is that I am using static IP address from ISP instead of using "get IP address dynamically from ISP" (in internet setup/settings tab in netduma xr500 dashboard). So far my speeds are what I should be getting and are stable.  I will keep you updated if anything changes over the next few days. Fingers crossed.

One question though....I noticed before that when I had "get IP address dynamically from ISP" checked off instead of using static IP address, it said my lease would end in 3 days. Will my lease still end even though I now use static IP address?  Will this mean I will have to go back on "get IP address dynamically from ISP" and renew my lease manually before my lease ends every single time?  If so, is there anyway to adjust the lease length to infinite?  Is there anything I can change in the CM1150V dashboard?

Fingers crossed, keep us posted. The router lease will not renew now because the CM1150V will not give it another IP address, I would recommend you just echo that setting and ensure you have set a static IP for the XR on the CM1150V as well.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Fingers crossed, keep us posted. The router lease will not renew now because the CM1150V will not give it another IP address, I would recommend you just echo that setting and ensure you have set a static IP for the XR on the CM1150V as well.

How do I do that on CM1150V?  Which tab do I go to?  Do input into the CM1150V the same exact static IP address that's listed in the xr500 internet setup tab?