QOS Disable Full Speed vs Enable 1/3 Speed

diabolk

Dear members,

Lately I've been tuning QOS to my XR500 and found that when I turn it off I have higher bandwidth than when it is on. Then I started searching the internet and came across this link: DumaOS Optimal Settings Guide: Maximum Bandwidth Speeds

Run through this hoping that with QOS I could continue to use my full bandwidth. Unfortunately, this turns out not to be the case. Do I miss something or read something about it? See drawing 1 what my network looks like.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a1bcf6ce87e3b89c06a756c4e68f1794.JPG

I want to keep using QOS for COD MW. This is to have a stable and better experience when I am online.

OR ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I was thinking about another option and that is :  after my fiber optic cable to place a tp-link ac1200 behind it and then my XR500. Connect my XBOX and PS4 to this? I hope I can use QOS but with less bandwidth. And the rest of my home network will be connected wired/wireless to the tp-link.

tp-link.thumb.JPG.a2958e2129878fbaad90b6afc6a859eb.JPG

Two things apply to me:
1) Want to keep using QOS for my XBOX and PS4
2) In addition for the other devices in my network, they extract the full 259 MBPs Up / Down.

In addition, I can 'Still Manage' the other devices from the XR500, for example, setting internet time for the children, etc. :)

Correct me if this is not good and any help in this is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rakie

Edited by diabolk
dubbel pictures

Running two routers like that defeats the point of using QoS. If you run QoS you should add all to the XR500. QoS won't function if your devices are connected to the TP link router since it won't know that there is traffic passing through the TPlink. If that TP link router has QoS options you might be able to use that and disable it on the XR500.

It's likely just a settings issue. If you have anti bufferbloat sliders to 'only when high priority traffic detected' and QoS set up right there should be no issues with bandwidth. Make sure you have share excess enabled as well.

37 minutes ago, Bert said:

Running two routers like that defeats the point of using QoS. If you run QoS you should add all to the XR500. QoS won't function if your devices are connected to the TP link router since it won't know that there is traffic passing through the TPlink. If that TP link router has QoS options you might be able to use that and disable it on the XR500.

It's likely just a settings issue. If you have anti bufferbloat sliders to 'only when high priority traffic detected' and QoS set up right there should be no issues with bandwidth. Make sure you have share excess enabled as well.

Ok, i will check and let you know the results, thx

• Administrators

As above, using the TP Link sort of defeats the point and then not all devices will be controlled by the XR500. What are the QoS settings you're actually using as using QoS does slow down your speeds so this is expected in order to eliminate local congestion. Using the When High Priority Traffic Detected as mentioned will allow you to receive your full speeds other than when you're gaming if that's what you would prefer to prevent any local congestion when playing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 3:38 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

As above, using the TP Link sort of defeats the point and then not all devices will be controlled by the XR500. What are the QoS settings you're actually using as using QoS does slow down your speeds so this is expected in order to eliminate local congestion. Using the When High Priority Traffic Detected as mentioned will allow you to receive your full speeds other than when you're gaming if that's what you would prefer to prevent any local congestion when playing.

I have like this problem.. I connect my xr500 to 2in1 modem/router ZTE from my isp becoz connect to fiber cable .. when i connect my ps4 directly to zte i get high speed  .. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, L7NALMARI said:

I have like this problem.. I connect my xr500 to 2in1 modem/router ZTE from my isp becoz connect to fiber cable .. when i connect my ps4 directly to zte i get high speed  .. 

Do you get normal speeds through a wired PC connected to the XR500? Are you using QoS at the time as that will lower your speeds depending on your settings.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you get normal speeds through a wired PC connected to the XR500? Are you using QoS at the time as that will lower your speeds depending on your settings.

Yeah i get 170/160..