Gaming spikes

Ryugosling

Hello I'm using a bt smart hub 2 router. I get 138 down 28 up. I'm using netduma r1 alongside it, here's my ping idle throughout the night. 

I notice when I play sfv I get spikes which are enough to make the game jittery. 

Idle.png

I recently saw a post on Reddit from a user who was having a bad time gaming while using a SH2 and once he changed to G Fast modem he was having a much better experience.

Just something to think about.

59 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

I recently saw a post on Reddit from a user who was having a bad time gaming while using a SH2 and once he changed to G Fast modem he was having a much better experience.

Just something to think about.

Could you link me to this post please. 

It was done through the r1. I used it throughout the night 10.30 pm for around 12 hours. Generally my ping at that time can spike while I game. Tonight I will test while I play to make a comparison. 

16 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Was QoS enabled at the time or was it off? Would be a good idea to do it straight from the hub as well to see if it occurs then or if it is an R1 issue.

So I just tested it from the hub last night, the results are below 

All Targets.png

• Administrators

Okay so it is very similar, looks like you have spikes/jitter on your line. Are you certain nothing was using the internet/connected at these times? You may want to contact your ISP about this and see if they can do anything about it, it could be from your hub to the cabinet for example or could be further up the line.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:25 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so it is very similar, looks like you have spikes/jitter on your line. Are you certain nothing was using the internet/connected at these times? You may want to contact your ISP about this and see if they can do anything about it, it could be from your hub to the cabinet for example or could be further up the line.

Hey I've got a new modem zt link MT992. I'm trying to enter PPPoE into the Duma settings but it wont connect after. I'm using [email protected] password bt. Also used my name @btbroadband.com.

This is getting frustrating as I cannot get any internet 

22 minutes ago, Ryugosling said:

Hey I've got a new modem zt link MT992. I'm trying to enter PPPoE into the Duma settings but it wont connect after. I'm using [email protected] password bt. Also used my name @btbroadband.com.

This is getting frustrating as I cannot get any internet 

Do you have internet without entering PPPoE details on the Duma? As you're new modem might be handling that thus you don't need to enter them on the Duma.

Thats how mine works... the BT router handles it. If I enter the details on my Duma, I won't have a connection.

6 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

Do you have internet without entering PPPoE details on the Duma? As you're new modem might be handling that thus you don't need to enter them on the Duma.

Thats how mine works... the BT router handles it. If I enter the details on my Duma, I won't have a connection.

Normally if I was using the bt home hub I wouldn't need to. But now I'm using an openreach modem and it no longer works. I've tried entering pppoe username etc but still nothing 

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Try with [email protected] and password bt please. So just to double check it doesn't have PPPoE on the modem interface where you can enter the details?

I've tried that username now, it seems as if it's trying to connect to the internet then it says site cant be reached on my mac browser.i cant access the modem interface I believe its locked down by bt

Bt have given me this generic response.

• Connection type: PPPoA (PPPoATM)
  • VCI = 38, VPI = 0
  • Encapsulation: VCMUX
  • Modulation: G.DMT
  • RFC: 2364
  • Network type: WAN (Not LAN)
  • MTU: Auto/Normal 1458 – 1500 (Lower numbers can help if data corruption occurs default is 1500)
  • QOS: UBR (Unlikely to be CBR/VBR)
  • The username should be of the format [email protected] or[email protected]. No password is required, but if the router insists, use bt as the password

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You could try changing the MTU but other than that there aren't any other settings you can change for PPPoE. Set PPPoE up and then reboot the router and see if that makes a difference at all.

hey i finally got it working, had to reset the router and factory reset the modem. Now im only getting 90 down/10 up, im on 140/30 package with bt. Is there anything i can do to improve this?

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Ryugosling said:

hey i finally got it working, had to reset the router and factory reset the modem. Now im only getting 90 down/10 up, im on 140/30 package with bt. Is there anything i can do to improve this?

Great to hear that. Have you input the speeds you pay for/expect in the Anti-Bufferbloat 3 line menu? Also have you lowered the Anti-Bufferbloat sliders to less than 100%? If so that is expected behaviour as it throttles to ensure that there is no local congestion.

32 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great to hear that. Have you input the speeds you pay for/expect in the Anti-Bufferbloat 3 line menu? Also have you lowered the Anti-Bufferbloat sliders to less than 100%? If so that is expected behaviour as it throttles to ensure that there is no local congestion.

Yes I've put the exact numbers I get. Are the sliders the two bars the ones that say 100% above the flower chart? Im away from home atm so I probably will try that when I get back. 

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Ryugosling said:

Yes I've put the exact numbers I get. Are the sliders the two bars the ones that say 100% above the flower chart? Im away from home atm so I probably will try that when I get back. 

Yes that's exactly right. If they are already at 100% and your speeds are still slower with a wired connection then disable it completely from the menu where you input your bandwidth and see if there is a difference.

Also I noticed when I played street fighter v last night I was having a hard time finding opponents. I dont enable geo filtering just use the basic setup to see where opponents I face are from. I noticed Europe wasnt showing many opponents but a lot in USA. Before this I never had a problem.