A weird kind of ping problem

Hey! 

This ping problem is kinda difficult to explain: A few weeks ago I encountered a big latency problem while sending text messages over WhatsApp. It took multiple seconds to send a message and almost 10 seconds for a voice message. (My connection: 60mbits down and 12 up.) I checked my ping via Speedtest.net and Fast.com: 9-10ms. I restarted the router and it was fine again. As the problem occurred a second time I checked my ping on another website (Its a German website as Im from Germany) www.wieistmeineip.de. It reported a ping of 1900ms! I restarted the router and it was back to 160ms (Speedtest was still reporting 9-10ms). This seems to be some kind of multi-server ping maybe?? Anyway, I connected the xr700 behind our DSL-modem/router and tested this kind of ping on its WiFi (5Ghz) (90-110ms) constantly. I finally managed to isolate the problem. It was the guest network I had set up. It was causing the 160ms normally and the enormous ping spikes of almost 2 seconds (reported by www.wieistmeineip.de). This affected 5Ghz aswell as 2.4Ghz when both guest networks were on. Also this kind of ping seems to be "used" in things like tweeting tweets or chatting on Discord. Do you guys know what this kind of ping is?

Anyway, this kind of ping on the xr700 seems to be on point with our modem/router now and I dont have those huge spikes anymore. Its just weird that the guest network causes this weird problems with the normal network if its just enabled and no one is on it. Btw. I get those huge ping spikes (2 seconds) with this kind of latency constantly on the guest networks.

The ping spike problem when the guest network was enabled happened after 24-30 uptime.

The website that I mentioned states that it sends 5 packets for testing.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Is WhatsApp the only application/service you've noticed latency issues with? When you say it's taking awhile to send is that the first tick or for the second tick? For the guest WiFi have you allowed it to access your local network? It might be without this option enabled that QoS is not applying to it correctly. 

The problem in Whatsapp is the period from the "clock" to the first tick. This kind of latency also applies to tweeting tweets, chatting on Discord and the "You've liked this video" feedback on YT. The problem still persists even with the "acces to local network" option enabled. I still have the higher "base" "kind of ping" of 160ms (from the normal 100-110ms) and the ping spikes of next to 2 seconds.

I use QoS. But I tried to disable it and all kinds of combinations too. Nothing helped. And no, there are no weird spikes in the network monitor or CPU monitor either. I tried everything. There seems to be a problem with DumaOS' handling of virtual networks. Probably nobody has noticed as its a weird kind of ping that I have problems with and from my experience everything except these things like sending WhatsApp messages are working fine, even the ping to game servers.

Yes.

If guest network is disabled: Normal "ping" (100-110ms) and no "ping" spikes of 1500-2000ms after 24+ hours of uptime.

If guest network is enabled: Higher "normal" "ping" of 160-170ms and "ping" spikes of 1500-2000ms after 24+ uptime on both private networks (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz | I was not able to test the 60Ghz band). Also: When connected to both guest networks: Constant "ping" spikes of 1500-2000ms. (most of the time)