XR500 Sudden Slow Speeds

My XR500 is getting extremely low speeds all of a sudden! I’ve pretty much trouble shooted everything as far as my modem and internet. (Had techs come out from ISP) Both are perfectly fine. It’s definitely the Router and everything is hard wired. When I connect directly to the modem my speeds are 947 down 47 Up. With the router it’s 27-40 down and 40 up.

So this just started randomly? Interesting...

Firstly, try using a different cable between the modem and the XR500.

Also try a speed test with and without QoS enabled.

Also, go to the System Information panel and see if the CPU is maxing out.

It definitely wasn’t doing this about a week ago. It seems to have started happening 2 days ago. I’ve tried your methods and nothing is working. I’ve  even tried doing a fresh reboot. The only thing I noticed is when I did my first speed test (when setting it up) I had the speeds 930 down 42 up. When I finished setting everything up and ran a speed test my speeds dropped again. (40 down 40 up) My upload speeds seem normal but my download speeds are way down. I checked around this forum for other answers and it seems this issue is becoming a growing problem.

23 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Ooh, I guess I assumed that it was happening on all devices rather than just one.

I wonder why the auto negotiation didn't work correctly. We'll tell Netgear about that one.

I'm glad it's sorted!

Just to clarify, in my other thread I (wrongly) assumed my original slow file transfer speeds to my NAS device were due to Wi-Fi being in the loop.

PC <Ethernet> XR500 <5GHz> Bridge Router <Ethernet> NAS

So, I took Wi-Fi and the XR500 out of the equation.

PC <Ethernet> NAS

Because transfer speeds were now fantastic, my new assumption was that nothing was wrong with the PC or NAS. But was that the case? I put the XR500 back in the loop, but without Wi-Fi.

PC <Ethernet> XR500 <Ethernet> NAS

Slow speeds were back, so forget Wi-Fi being the problem. You might now assume the XR500 is to blame, but could it be a PC driver issue which had previously negotiated full speeds with the NAS, but crucially, not with the XR500?

To cut a long story short (yes, I know that’s rich coming from me), if the Speed and Duplex setting of the Ethernet driver being set to Auto Negotiation is the issue, my third assumption would now be that both the PC Ethernet adapter and the XR500 1Gig port were simply not on talking terms!

This could be a PC driver issue, but it could also be an XR500 issue, failing to ‘negotiate’ with certain desktop drivers. That’s one for the Netgear folk to nail down.

If anyone is interested, this is a great article on Ethernet Auto Negotiation.

Glad you got your problem sorted, Kahari 😀