XR500 Severe Internet speed throttling

Hello!

So I am not sure where else to post any of this because the forums I have found don't answer anything for me. I just recently switched from 100mb internet down to 600mb down. When I plug directly into my modem, I am getting the proper speeds. When I hardwire into my router, I get about 40mb down. I have tried turning QOS off completely, I have tried turning sharing bandwidth off directly, and neither worked. I reset the router and set it up again prior to all this. I am not sure why it is throttling so hard. 

https://tds-test.speedtestcustom.com/result/0cc7ed10-4313-11ea-a3e5-f9e5ecea18c8

This is going to sound crazy but it could be as simple as your cable.I have the xr500 that I have had for over a year now. Make sure the lights are lite up white and not orange if it’s white then it’s reporting a 1G nic if orange it’s reporting 100 I would then check cable. I would then unplug everything and power up in this order Modem, wait till every light is on steady not blinking then router again every light on and white then your computer if the nic light comes on white test again but use another speed test I will use att speed test to check some times. If still no good go back in to the router and configure it for AP mode then unplug it and put it on shelf and turn off light and shut door  Then go buy a MIkrotic 4011 router and use the Netgear as an AP and never look back until the AX managed APs  comes down to below $500.

I will give that a shot haha. As far as where I am at, I did a factory erase in the DumaOS interface and now speed tests are at least up to par beyond the crap I had earlier, although it seems the bitrate is still choppy. When I am in the middle of a game there will be noticeable lag that isn't there when my modem is being used directly. 

1 hour ago, Cameron Hiatt said:

I will give that a shot haha. As far as where I am at, I did a factory erase in the DumaOS interface and now speed tests are at least up to par beyond the crap I had earlier, although it seems the bitrate is still choppy. When I am in the middle of a game there will be noticeable lag that isn't there when my modem is being used directly. 

So your speeds are normal now? That's good.

As for this lag you're experiencing in game, does it still happen when QoS is disabled? I want to narrow down what's causing the problem.

5 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

So your speeds are normal now? That's good.

As for this lag you're experiencing in game, does it still happen when QoS is disabled? I want to narrow down what's causing the problem.

As of this morning, my speed test when connected to the router still shows pretty normal looking speeds so it seems the factory wipe did good there yes. I only have the computer connected though, no other device is on on the wifi. So when I get home tonight I will open up the games and stream and see if it is stable at all and if not, I will turn of QoS and see if that solves the issue. I will have an answer for you on that by tonight after work. Thank you for the reply by the way!!

UPDATE: I will say, the speed test this morning showed about 250 to 320 download and 20 upload with QoS on and when that was off it tested at 550 down 20 up. That might be helpful for when I test the random spikes up and down when I'm playing a game causing severe lag. 

34 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the info, keep us updated. What is the game you're playing? Are you using the Geo-Filter at all?

So I tested it in Call of Duty Modern Warfare, League of Legends, and Apex Legends. Apex Legends I would be looting and randomly the loot would reappear as if I never grabbed it. In league of Legends my champion would be walking and just stop and not respond to cursor movement or clicks for a second or two as well as I would cast abilities and it'd take 1 to 2 seconds for them to actually be cast. That's the lag I noticed at first. When I began trying to fix it, I tested modern warfare and it seemed okay right before I went to bed. 

As far as geo filtering goes, I haven't touched it after the reset so whatever is default is what it is. 

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you know what the pings are to the games when you're experiencing these issues? If you don't then may be a good idea to use the Geo-Filter in Spectating mode and find out.

Ping in all the games never seemed to go above 60 or so. Always sat around 52 to 58.

Also, i have had this router for about 2 years now, and it's worked amazing up until when I got on to change the settings to allow for my new bandwidth of 600, I saw it needed an update so I updated the firmware to the latest update which I had never done prior. Once that happened that's when my internet sucked and I noticed through the modem it was perfect and through the router it was struggling. Could that be any reason for all this? 

• Administrators

Are you measuring that on the game as it seems slightly higher than I would expect. Where are you located and what is your base ping? Usually it would auto update on its own, do you know what the firmware version you were on before the update was? There shouldn't be any change that would cause the issues you've described. Even with that ping though it doesn't really explain the lag you're experiencing, do you play the games at the same time everyday i.e. in peak times?

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you measuring that on the game as it seems slightly higher than I would expect. Where are you located and what is your base ping? Usually it would auto update on its own, do you know what the firmware version you were on before the update was? There shouldn't be any change that would cause the issues you've described. Even with that ping though it doesn't really explain the lag you're experiencing, do you play the games at the same time everyday i.e. in peak times?

Yes those are in game ping counters and since I can remember they've sat around there and I've never had lag issues. But they may be slightly higher than ideal. 

I do not know what my firmware was before but I never updated it myself so unfortunately I have no answer for you there. 

Base ping per internet test or in game? Base ping in tests is around 20. In game it never goes above 60.

I am located in cedar city Utah. 

I play games all day on Saturdays as I am a streamer, and then M W F I play from 8pm to 12am. So mostly same times yes. This has never affected me every before until yesterday which is why I point to the router as the culprit for whatever reason it began doing this. 

• Administrators

Okay thanks for that information. With your upgrade in speed you haven't had to now use PPPoE or VLAN or anything like that have you? How many devices do you have connected to the router and how many are used when playing? It might be worth downgrading to the previous firmware and see if you encounter the same issues.

50 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay thanks for that information. With your upgrade in speed you haven't had to now use PPPoE or VLAN or anything like that have you? How many devices do you have connected to the router and how many are used when playing? It might be worth downgrading to the previous firmware and see if you encounter the same issues.

As far as I'm aware I have a dhcp connection, at least that's what the router says. 

Only my computer and a phone or TV are using the wifi at any given time. When I ran all the aforementioned tests, it was only my pc on the wifi, everything else wasn't connected at all. 

• Administrators

Do you generally play using WiFi then? Are you able to play via ethernet to see if wifi contention/congestion might be the cause? If not use a WiFi analyser to find the least congested channel and change to that. Also disable Smart Connect and connect to 2.4GHz if you plan to play over wifi as it is more stable.

24 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you generally play using WiFi then? Are you able to play via ethernet to see if wifi contention/congestion might be the cause? If not use a WiFi analyser to find the least congested channel and change to that. Also disable Smart Connect and connect to 2.4GHz if you plan to play over wifi as it is more stable.

So my computer is always hardwired. I didn't build it with a wifi card so I can only use hardwire with it. Sorry if I made that unclear. 

• Administrators

Could you have a look at the CPU graph in System Information please when you're playing, what does that show? Do you just have the issues when you're streaming + playing or could it be just when you're playing as well?

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you have a look at the CPU graph in System Information please when you're playing, what does that show? Do you just have the issues when you're streaming + playing or could it be just when you're playing as well?

I will get you that info tonight while I play. About how long do you want it into the gaming session? 

It was happening while I wasn't streaming and during. So both. 

But yes, do you want a screenshot or how do you want that cpu graph 

Alright, new update, internet speed is back to consistently being at 30 down. I called TDS about it and they see some issues on their end as it is. SO if you want to, please don't forget about this thread and I  will update it tomorrow after the technician comes to look at the issue and if the router continues to have issues then I will let you know. But if the router begins performing it's basic tasks as it should, then it will be a stupid coincidence that it just was being used anytime my connection itself was faulty. Although I am still skeptical based off tests last night. 

I will update with any findings tomorrow.

Internet from modem is awesome now. The technician fixed it. Still getting severe lag when playing games on and off streaming. Assuming it is the router.

UPDATE: I just played a game of Apex Legends on the router, laggy as can be. Played another game about the same length of time right after on the modem, no lag issues at all and was able to stream at the same time even. Router is still having the issues. When the game was played on the router, I tried QoS on and off, no change. 

On 1/30/2020 at 5:02 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

20200201_164334.jpg

20200201_164352.jpg

20200201_164356.jpg

On 1/31/2020 at 6:00 PM, Cameron Hiatt said:

Internet from modem is awesome now. The technician fixed it. Still getting severe lag when playing games on and off streaming. Assuming it is the router.

UPDATE: I just played a game of Apex Legends on the router, laggy as can be. Played another game about the same length of time right after on the modem, no lag issues at all and was able to stream at the same time even. Router is still having the issues. When the game was played on the router, I tried QoS on and off, no change. 

Well at least that's one problem sorted I guess. We need to figure out why the router is adding lag. Looking at your CPU graphs above, they look pretty normal, so I think we can rule that out.

Have you compared games with QoS enabled and disabled? Also with and without Geo-Filter?

10 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Well at least that's one problem sorted I guess. We need to figure out why the router is adding lag. Looking at your CPU graphs above, they look pretty normal, so I think we can rule that out.

Have you compared games with QoS enabled and disabled? Also with and without Geo-Filter?

QoS on or off seems to have no effect really that I can see when I played this last weekend testing that very thing.

Where do I turn off geofiltering? I'll do that this evening. 

17 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Is there a way to revert to older updates? Because it is now back to getting about 11 down when connected to the router but normal on the modem. The upload oddly stays consistently the same as what I am paying for.

Edit: Okay so I tried streaming on it anyway...really weird but everything is running smooth and fine. Game isn't lagging, stream is steady, I have no clue what is going on but maybe it was the internet speed test I was using? I don't know. I really wish I knew more about internet networks and how everything works because I am really stumped.

You can easily downgrade to earlier versions by downloading them from the Netgear support site and uploading them on the firmware update page.

You'd have to disable automatic updates on that same page.

Although it sounds like your issue might be solved, or it might not have been an issue in the first place... Which speed test were you using?