XR300 high CPU utilisation and sudden unreasonably high latency - issue with multiple game consoles on the same network?

Hi everyone, 

Last night while I was on a session of PUBG in PS4, suddenly the XR300 started having unusual high CPU utilisation 80-90% with almost zero traffic on my network (just for reference CPU utilisation never went above 65-70% when I was heavily stress testing the router a couple of days back). Pinging the DNS of my internet provider from my wired to the XR300 laptop or pinging the 1.1.1.1 DNS gave me really unusual results (400-800ms instead of the usual 15-17ms).  Also the router GUI navigation was really really sluggish. Even though my dashboard page was displaying everything on point, trying to navigate to a different section in the GUI took ages.  

The only thing that I can think of is that my wife was gaming on her PS4 pro and PSVR playing beat saber, a single player PSVR game,  when this happened. Do the nighthawk routers have issues with multiple game consoles on the same network? This is a first for me, never had this issue on my dumaOS powered R1. 

Is there any other known issue that might cause the nighthawk routers or the XR300 specifically to act like that, having high unexplained CPU utilisation and latency while the router GUI being unresponsive? 

I can't think of any known issues that would have caused this. Your CPU usage should not have spiked like that.

It might have been to do with traffic prioritization rules, it might have been due to port forwarding and UPnP conflicting with each other.

I will have to ask the developers about this specific question because it might be a bug with the firmware which we've yet to crush.

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

It might have been to do with traffic prioritization rules, it might have been due to port forwarding and UPnP conflicting with each other

I haven't set up any port forwarding rules and UPnP is on in my settings.

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

I will have to ask the developers about this specific question because it might be a bug with the firmware which we've yet to crush.

Thanks Alex, greatly appreciated! 

• Administrators

Have you pinned lots of panels to the Dashboard at all? Did you double check network usage in the Network Monitor? A device could have been doing an update in the background you weren't aware of. Did you have the interface up the entire time you were gaming?

40 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you pinned lots of panels to the Dashboard

I have just 5 panels pinned on the dashboards, the exact same I had on my R1 DumaOS dashboard: 

Screenshot_2020-01-07_at_9_56_56_PM.thumb.png.9041d4b212747836ddc4bffa3990ff16.png

Did you double check network usage in the Network Monitor?

Did you have the interface up the entire time you were gaming?

Yes always checking the Network Snapshot and Network overview. Since I got the XR300 I keep my secondary monitor displaying the DumaOS dashboard continuously during my gaming sessions

A device could have been doing an update in the background you weren't aware of

No, not according to the Network Snapshot 

it might be random or coincidental but the first time that I experienced this happening I also saw a lot of DHCP related activity in the log files. Is there an option to raise the DHCP lease time in XR300? I remember there was in the R1 but can't find it in XR300 

• Administrators

It could have been that because you had the interface up constantly that it was causing the CPU to rise but that would be unusual. Perhaps if it continues happening try not monitoring it for a night and see if the issue happens again. It's possible if the router was renewing IPs that it could cause devices to disconnect briefly enough that the ping times would be high rather than no response at all. There isn't unfortunately. You could give a device a static IP and that would prevent the DHCP renewing at that time for your console which may improve it.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It could have been that because you had the interface up constantly that it was causing the CPU to rise but that would be unusual.

That would be a hell of a bug and a huge bummer as one of the key features of DumaOS is the advanced real time network monitoring 😔

It's possible if the router was renewing IPs that it could cause devices to disconnect briefly enough that the ping times would be high rather than no response at all

No I highly doubt that. The DHCP activity happened around 10 mins before this issue occured.Just thinking that there could be some bug or DHCP related memory leak that caused the router to act like that. The XR300 GUI was unresponsive (even after logging out and logging back in again in private mode )  and the latency was horrible for all the devices in the network for around 15 mins as I didn't reboot it immediately once this occurred, hoping I might get some useful entry at the log file. 

You could give a device a static IP and that would prevent the DHCP renewing at that time for your console which may improve it.

I have already done that for the PS4 consoles on my network, but no luck. I have however many devices that use the DHCP server, so if it is a DHCP memory leak/bug that affects router's stability I am still in trouble 😔

• Administrators

It's unlikely to be that but just a thought as not much else is happening at the time the issue occurs. How feasible would it be to give static IPs to all of the devices to see if it is DHCP causing it?

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's unlikely to be that but just a thought as not much else is happening at the time the issue occurs. How feasible would it be to give static IPs to all of the devices to see if it is DHCP causing it?

Unfortunately its not very feasible 😔

Additionally I get a lot of false positive warnings about DoS attacks etc in the log files... For example this is main laptop and the XR300 is complaining for smurf attacks:

[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [192.168.88.4]

Any idea if I can completely turn off or at least tone down the XR300 firewall?

• Administrators

Could you set a static IP for the router itself in the ISP hub? It could be that connection that is renewing/dropping instead. If you go to Settings > Monitoring > Logs then you should be able to disable the scans/dos entries.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you set a static IP for the router itself in the ISP hub

I already have 

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you go to Settings > Monitoring > Logs then you should be able to disable the scans/dos entries.

I don't mind seeing them in the log files. What I want is to disable/tone down the firewall functionality 

• Administrators

Have you experienced the issue since then? It's not actually blocking those connections, they're just connections you come across like Facebook etc. There isn't a way to configure the Firewall, its all automatic and built in.

Have you experienced the issue since then?

Yeah one more time yesterday  

There isn't a way to configure the Firewall, its all automatic and built in.

I see... 

• Administrators

Would disabling QoS cause more local congestion issues than it's worth testing? QoS is one of the more intensive features that I could think of that might cause it. If it's the DHCP lease, it would be a good idea to try and reboot the router during the night when no one is using it as it would then renew the lease at that time instead of during the day when it's being used, would that be possible?

17 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Would disabling QoS cause more local congestion issues than it's worth testing?

Yes exactly 

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

QoS is one of the more intensive features that I could think of that might cause it.

I get your point but I don’t think my DumaOS R1 can pull this off and the XR300 can’t. It’s clearly some kind of memory leak/bug that is responsible for this behavior. To be frank my XR300 without QoS is actually useless in my network setup.

23 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

it would be a good idea to try and reboot the router during the night when no one is using it as it would then renew the lease at that time instead of during the day when it's being used, would that be possible?

That’s what I will start doing I guess. Please don’t take it the wrong way but since DumaOS is a mess on XR300 and I am not sure if it will ever be stable, perhaps the devs could add a feature for scheduled reboot or something like that? 

• Administrators

Exactly thats why it's unlikely to be QoS but something I thought would be worth testing just to be sure. You should only need to reboot it once at that time and then hopefully devices will regain the connection on their own by the time the internet is next used. That has been suggested before so it is on our ideas list.