New XR500 owner needs big time HELP!

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes just keep the PS4 settings as automatic and that's fine. Yes there should be no reason they can't do that if they've given you a static IP.

Thanks! I have a tech coming soon. The last one said something about needing maintenance that there’s an issue in the neighborhood, perhaps multiple complaints. Would a bad pole or wire OUTSIDE of my land give me issues with net speeds or ping? I have new wires running from my house to the pole.

16 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that could absolutely give you those issues, regarding the weird routing I highly doubt it but changing your IP might help with that.

Thank you. I guess I am going to need to ask for a new IP. I am getting terrible routing problems again. I am being put in servers again 16 hours away while the servers 1-2 hours from me has terrible ping. I don’t get it, I’m so beyond annoyed at this point. It makes me wish I appreciated the good clean internet I had 2 months ago. I’m going to contact Comcast right now about a new IP. 😕 

Guest Killhippie
On 1/13/2020 at 4:32 AM, TeCNeEk said:

Thank you. I guess I am going to need to ask for a new IP. I am getting terrible routing problems again. I am being put in servers again 16 hours away while the servers 1-2 hours from me has terrible ping. I don’t get it, I’m so beyond annoyed at this point. It makes me wish I appreciated the good clean internet I had 2 months ago. I’m going to contact Comcast right now about a new IP. 😕 

A new IP might help ,  it could be where you connect to Comcasts gateways, all ISP's have generally more than one gateway (these are data centres) so users all over the country can connect to their nearest gateway in theory, but sometimes when maintenance is ongoing you can end on one that's not ideal routing wise, same if there is congestion in that area it will just cause latency issues and hit performance in general. Sometimes if you reboot your modem you may end up connecting to a different gateway which is not so good as mentioned above, as well as the possibility of line damage and exchange work in your area that may be needed, if that's the issue and Comcast would fix line issues as long as its bad enough to cause connection issues. Pings etc are not really something ISP's care about as long as you can use the internet and get reasonable throughput that's good enough for them.

Give Comcast a boot where it hurts, also check what they do as far as throttling, traffic shaping and port blocking ,  as some ISP's use them and some don't Throttling (bandwidth control) and traffic shaping ( which is a way to control the volume of traffic being sent into a network in a specified period) can cause issues too if they use them that is. Some ISPs do so everyone is getting a slice of the pie during busy times rather than just having enough back haul which means investing in more bandwidth and most ISPs will run hot bandwidth wise until they have to buy more bandwidth or put bigger pipes in because thy want to make as much money as possible with minimal outlay.

15 hours ago, Killhippie said:

A new IP might help ,  it could be where you connect to Comcasts gateways, all ISP's have generally more than one gateway (these are data centres) so users all over the country can connect to their nearest gateway in theory, but sometimes when maintenance is ongoing you can end on one that's not ideal routing wise, same if there is congestion in that area it will just cause latency issues and hit performance in general. Sometimes if you reboot your modem you may end up connecting to a different gateway which is not so good as mentioned above, as well as the possibility of line damage and exchange work in your area that may be needed, if that's the issue and Comcast would fix line issues as long as its bad enough to cause connection issues. Pings etc are not really something ISP's care about as long as you can use the internet and get reasonable throughput that's good enough for them.

Give Comcast a boot where it hurts, also check what they do as far as throttling, traffic shaping and port blocking as traffic shaping,  as some ISP's use them some dont .Throttling (bandwidth control) and traffic shaping ( which is a way to control the volume of traffic being sent into a network in a specified period) can cause issues too if they use them that is. Some ISPs do so everyone is getting a slice of the pie during busy times rather than just having enough back haul which means investing in more bandwidth and most ISPs will run hot bandwidth wise until they have to buy more bandwidth or put bigger pipes in because thy want to make as much money as possible with minimal outlay.

Wow, thanks for the informative post. Yes, I believe my area needs maintenance. The last technician said another neighbor complained about their internet also having issues. As a gamer, ping is everything to me, and it went from 34 to 70, and that 70 feels like 120. It feels so jerky and like only half my shots are landing. I feel like they are throttling me bad, I am paying for 600, but on speed tests when it gets to 300 and keeps climbing, it immediately stops there at 300 and levels or falls down in the 200s. Perhaps its due to outside interference in the neighborhood, I have no clue. 

Well the sad news is my bad routing issues are back. For a bit I was connected to my servers again, but still experiencing some weird latency issues, though my latency was down to 45, but unstable. Now I am being placed back in Iowa State servers 16 hours away from me which has me at a 48ms ping while my state of Virginia is at a 70ms ping. Again, very unreliable. I am about to go insane. I have talked to at least 35 Comcast reps in the past 3 weeks. I do not believe the ping it is showing me because how am I getting better ping in an area half way across my country, yet the main server 2 hours from me is awful. My geolocation isn't too far off either, but it's like my ISP thinks I live half way across the country. 

14 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I assume you have explained the issues the same way you have to us? What is their response to this? Did you manage to get them to change the IP?

At this point, I have almost given up. They still have not fixed the issue, and they act dumb-founded when I tell them the issues with my routing and ping. The tech's who have come act clueless to the problem and the last one said he can see about getting maintenance out, I said Yes please do that. No one ever came. Agents have said we promise this tech this time will fix it. They didn't. They said they would have a Tier 3 Comcast employee contact me and help me fix it. Never received a call or email. A tech kept pulling my strings about getting another technician which is pointless at this point. After I said look I'm just going to go, I need maintenance, not a technician. She said Oh yeah yeah it will be maintenance, just accept the appointment. I am then immediately notified that a technician will come within a 2 hour window. I canceled it. Empty promises and terrible support. One agent gave me a number to call saying they specialize in fixing ping and routing, and said to call at 7am. I waited and called at that time and it was a sex 1-800 phone line. I laughed and just hung up. Just looking at that and all the terrible lies and no issues fixed, it pisses me off really bad. Where I live at there is no other good internet providers, yet for some reason I can get up to a 1 gig internet speed with Comcast. I'm exhausted and beyond desperate at this point to fix it, I almost don't even care anymore. My desire to game has died because everything is unplayable. I will respond back if anything changes or I come up with an idea. Thank you guys for all your help.

On topic on where I'm left at, I have factory reset my modem and XR500 endless times trying different techniques hoping to maybe fix something. My modem and router both have different WAN IPs and WAN Gateways. All 4 IP's for the two on the modem and the two on the router are completely different. Example: 46.215.178.30, 46.217.164.1, 46.215.171.41, etc. The Subnet for the modem is 255.255.255.255, while the router configured itself to be 255.255.252.0. Regardless, my routing is absolutely terrible. I can not turn off the modem's(XB6 Gateway bridged) DHCP , so I tried disabling the XR500's so maybe it wouldn't complicate things. Comcast's stupid Gateway is so limited. I want to turn off IPV6 on the modem but I can't. 

• Administrators

Wow that is really shocking, sorry you have to go through that. Changing the IP is just something simple that they can do, maybe if you say your IP was made public by accident they'd be more likely to do it. The 7am call that's absolutely ridiculous, that's definite grounds to complain. Have you tried a VPN yet? That's literally the only thing I could think of that you could do yourself that might work.

I feel your pain I have Comcast also and play Destiny2  COD.  The XR500 has seems to help as far as geo=filtering I still have issues with hit detection etc.  Comcast added a drop amplifer and it has helped a bit but still not great . I am using cloudfare but think Comcast has the best ping as far as DNS goes.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:13 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Wow that is really shocking, sorry you have to go through that. Changing the IP is just something simple that they can do, maybe if you say your IP was made public by accident they'd be more likely to do it. The 7am call that's absolutely ridiculous, that's definite grounds to complain. Have you tried a VPN yet? That's literally the only thing I could think of that you could do yourself that might work.

I tried VPN, NordVPN to be exact, and no luck there. Gave me way worse ping and actual packet loss. I am still dealing with this. I did a traceroute and now my first hop(XR500 IP), has high ping. Here is the traceroute: 

traceroute111.png

The first HOP being 61ms would usually point to an internal network issue from your house to outside Tap.  I have Comcast and I am on the same network as you are and I have a 1ms for my first HOP.  BTW I have also experienced the same issues you have dealing with the isp provider.  In my case a 3rd tech came out and he was not a contractor but a Comcast employee that called the line technician and got him out within the hour to help with the outside TAP etc.  You can only do so much on the inside of your house and most of my issues are the lines coming in. 

6 hours ago, Bmann said:

The first HOP being 61ms would usually point to an internal network issue from your house to outside Tap.  I have Comcast and I am on the same network as you are and I have a 1ms for my first HOP.  BTW I have also experienced the same issues you have dealing with the isp provider.  In my case a 3rd tech came out and he was not a contractor but a Comcast employee that called the line technician and got him out within the hour to help with the outside TAP etc.  You can only do so much on the inside of your house and most of my issues are the lines coming in. 

Thanks for that! A technician is coming tomorrow so I will find out how everything goes.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:13 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I believe my routing has fixed itself. It’s been a good 5 days or so and everything looks good! I’m looking to get my ping as low as possible. I have a 600/25 speed plan, I have the bufferbloat on 70/70. Spectating Mode on GeoFilter because I play Apex on PS4 and Filtered Mode gives me issues. I only run 3 devices.