R1 DHCP instead of PPPoE

Od1n

Hey Netduma Team!

is there a guide on how to use the DHCP feature of the R1 to connect it to a mandatory ISP router? Im currently using PPPoE but that spikes the R1 CPU to 80% when i start to download something. Since i soon want to upgrade to an even faster connection (100/40) i would like to use DHCP instead to not fry my R1 :(.

So far i figured out:

R1:

Pick DHCP in the R1 Network Settings - WAN - Network. But do i have to specify the MTU and Mac cloning and DNS?

My ISP Router (Fritzbox):

Turn off WLan and connect it via ethernet to the R1.

DCHP Server is automatically activated on my ISP router, so i guess i dont need to do anything in that regard. I can pick "assign always the same IP address to devices", i assume thats better right?.

But how can i connect the two then or will it work automatically? Is there any interface for that in the R1?

My R1 version:

Firmware Version 2.1.3.29
DumaOS Version 1.3.29

Also if that turns out to work and reduces my CPU load, could that mean i can use the hybrid VPN feature to achieve faster download speeds than 3mbit? It seems like the encryption and PPPoE eats so much CPU that the R1 just cannot offer faster speeds, maybe with PPPoE being out of the way this could result in faster speeds.

The first thing I'd do is make sure that the IP address that's been assigned by the Fritzbox is static. There's usually an option to set an IP as reserved.

Next, go to System Information on the R1 and take a note of the WAN IP, this is the current IP that the R1 is assigned by the Fritzbox.

So now under Settings > WAN, put in the WAN IP from the last step, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and gateway IP is your Fritzbox's IP.

I don't think MTU needs to be specified but it's usually 1500. DNS server should probably be specified. How about first : 8.8.8.8 and second: Fritzbox IP

--

Removing the PPPoE might give you faster speeds, it's plausible.

On 12/19/2019 at 4:39 PM, Netduma Alex said:

Next, go to System Information on the R1 and take a note of the WAN IP, this is the current IP that the R1 is assigned by the Fritzbox.

The R1 doesnt show me an IP under that setting, it just looks like the following.

Any other way to optain the IP or the R1?

asdcgkoh.png

Well i just ticked the DHCP box in the R1 Network Settings and it worked without any additional adjustments required.

Only thing, should i set in the fritzbox that the IPs given out by DHCP are static? Does it matter for the R1 if it gets a different IP once every now and then?

Notification for those also reading this topic:
DCHP reduced my R1 CPU load from PPPoE @ 70-90% on bandwidth load to DHCP @ 30-50% on bandwidth load

Connection is currently 50 down 10 up so not even that fast. Overall a huge difference, when i switch to 100 down 40 up in the next month or two im quite confident that the R1 will deliver those speeds without any problems :).

• Netduma Staff
On 12/21/2019 at 11:43 AM, Od1n said:

Well i just ticked the DHCP box in the R1 Network Settings and it worked without any additional adjustments required.

Only thing, should i set in the fritzbox that the IPs given out by DHCP are static? Does it matter for the R1 if it gets a different IP once every now and then?

It doesn't necessarily matter if the R1 gets a new address occasionally, though it could mean you need to keep accessing the UI through different IP's. I'd just give it a static one :)