QOS Issues?

I have the nighthawk xr500. Router & modem in my room next to pc but for some reason my roommate is getting all the speeds (400mbps) and im only getting a fraction(30-60).. even when I give my self 100% of bandwidth in QOS. Almost like QOS isn't working properly.. don't know what it could be.

im on lastest firmware, changed out enthernet cables, added my pc as a device in geo-filter. Have traffic prioritization set for pc under service Unreal Engine for fortnite. 

also auto Ping doesn’t show anything when I’m in games. Allow and deny doesn’t show anything either. Too many issues. I should be getting 400Mbps Down & 30mbps Up

Roommates speed test is showing 400 down constantly and 30 up with these settings ... and no I don’t have PCs mixed up lol 

•  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Are there any differences between your computers? For example, is your roommate using wifi rather than ethernet? Also, are you using Cat6 or better ethernet cables?

To get Geo-Filter working, i'd suggest going to Device Manager, choosing your PC, and changing the device type to PlayStation. I know this seems weird, but when a device is set as a console, the Geo-Filter will show all UDP traffic. Now go to Geo-Filter, remove the PC and add it again. Now Fortnite should work.

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

Welcome to the forum!

Are there any differences between your computers? For example, is your roommate using wifi rather than ethernet? Also, are you using Cat6 or better ethernet cables?

To get Geo-Filter working, i'd suggest going to Device Manager, choosing your PC, and changing the device type to PlayStation. I know this seems weird, but when a device is set as a console, the Geo-Filter will show all UDP traffic. Now go to Geo-Filter, remove the PC and add it again. Now Fortnite should work.

Hi thanks for the welcoming and reply! 

He is using a cat 6 while I’m using cat 7. 

Also I just noticed I’m getting an amber light for my cable. Another strange thing is.. I have it in port 3 but the amber light is on port 2(nothing in port 2) I took his cable out for time being to see if the light went away ... it didn’t. I tried moving my cables in different ports but the light would never correspond to the correct port

9D43C070-765B-4C97-9B49-36A3635BA17A.jpeg

6083FF04-9150-49BF-8CF2-F4D3B05995E9.jpeg

I recall that some of the early units have lights that don't correspond with the correct port.

If you go to Device Manager, open the side menu and choose the Table view, you can see what each port is doing. Take a look there and check that the ports are reporting the correct maximum speed.

I believe that the colour of the lights on the XR500 represents the link speed of that cable. It sounds to me like, for some reason, the router thinks that the computer has a slow network card.

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

I recall that some of the early units have lights that don't correspond with the correct port.

If you go to Device Manager, open the side menu and choose the Table view, you can see what each port is doing. Take a look there and check that the ports are reporting the correct maximum speed.

I believe that the colour of the lights on the XR500 represents the link speed of that cable. It sounds to me like, for some reason, the router thinks that the computer has a slow network card.

Yeah looks like its maxing me at 100 mbps.. strange to do that all of a sudden. Is there ways to change the speed higher? Id try to use my roommates ethernet cable to see if id then get my speeds but we ran cables under house lol.. 

srsly thanks for the help. I probably seem like a n00b 

dumaos.thumb.png.83ceec00d77add623f6c719c6c0f6dfb.pngdumaos1.png.d81c6e3cc5fa860adbe2bfbcc41e0ffe.png

• Administrators

First I'd double check what the category of ethernet cable you're using is, you can see this on the cable itself - it'll say Cat5 or something like that. Look that up and see if it's able to go above 100mbps, if not you'll need to get one that can. Secondly follow this guide to change the speed on your PC card to ensure thats not the limiting factor: https://itstillworks.com/adjust-speed-local-area-connection-1332.html

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

First I'd double check what the category of ethernet cable you're using is, you can see this on the cable itself - it'll say Cat5 or something like that. Look that up and see if it's able to go above 100mbps, if not you'll need to get one that can. Secondly follow this guide to change the speed on your PC card to ensure thats not the limiting factor: https://itstillworks.com/adjust-speed-local-area-connection-1332.html

its cat 7 and changing the speed of my pc card fixed it, its value was: 100 mbps half duplex; no idea how it got on that. Thanks for the help the both of you! Now my QOS will work properly im assuming...hoping 

is there a guide on here explaining each settings in details so I could completely optimize the router? 

• Administrators

Great to hear that!

Here are our optimal settings guides for DumaOS: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Also each panel on the router has a ? in the top right which will tell you more about the feature.

Welcome to the forum!

6 hours ago, Roun said:

Hi thanks for the welcoming and reply! 

He is using a cat 6 while I’m using cat 7. 

Also I just noticed I’m getting an amber light for my cable. Another strange thing is.. I have it in port 3 but the amber light is on port 2(nothing in port 2) I took his cable out for time being to see if the light went away ... it didn’t. I tried moving my cables in different ports but the light would never correspond to the correct port

9D43C070-765B-4C97-9B49-36A3635BA17A.jpeg

6083FF04-9150-49BF-8CF2-F4D3B05995E9.jpeg

FYI

When the led is red means that the router recognize a fast Ethernet connection. That means maximum speed 100mbps. When the led is white means that you connect  a device with gigabit Ethernet connection. 1000mbps.