Netduma R1 and Streaming

fakkel

Hi Netduma team and Netduma Army. I bought myself a Philips 804 65 inch oled tv and when I watch Netflix the video quality is amazing for 70% but it drops to not so great for atleast 5 seconds, every 15 seconds and it is annoying. I tried to connect my tv straight with a CAT6 cable and to my suprise that made almost no difference besides that it loads in contant instantly, only the video quality drops every few seconds, for a few seconds

I Stream 4K HDR 10+ Dolby Vision Content, but also the quality of HD content that is being upscaled perfectly drops in quality every few seconds.

Is it simply that the NetdumaR1 can't handle this, or is it some of my settings?

When I watch tv (through a lan cable) I don't use the internet anywhere else in the house.

I have QoS on never

And my Download speed is 250Mb

Please help me.

• Administrators

It shouldn't have a problem handling that, first thing to do would be to not use QoS (put Anti-BB to 100 not disable completely) and see if it happens or not. I would also see if you're actually getting the speeds you should for 70% which is 175mbps as that is plenty for that content so would indicate you're getting no where near that.

Well i'd be interested in whether disabling QoS completely would fix the problem. Basically we need to figure out if the problem occurs because of the R1, or if the connection from the modem is unstable.

Go to QoS, open the Anti-Bufferbloat side menu, tick Disable QoS, see if you still experience issues.

If you do still experience issues, then we'll have to try with either a different router or just connected straight to the modem...

If you don't experience issues, then QoS is doing something which causes video to be unstable. We can cross that bridge when we get to it.

But in theory is the processor and memory in the Netduma enough to contiously play out 4k HDR 10+ Dolby vision through its lan port, or could there be hick up? If so I have to switch to a xr500 or XR 7gen. It is only with the most demanding of play the quality drops, I ask about the Netduma, because it is able to download on my max speee of 30mbps, but maybe that stresses the device less then streaming, I have no clue. 

Quality is perfect for 30% of the time, 60% is great and 10% it drops back to full hd which is a huge drop, problem is the quality is constantly changing between perfect and great and bad. So it stresses my eyes, I rather have less quality but stable then the constant changes. Please help me 🙏

Downloading on Windows starts around 30mbps through newsgroups but drops  to 28mbps sometimes 24 and goes back up. So all in all fast and I don't care if it drops 6mbps 24mbps is still fast for me. But when streaming this is an immense pain because you notice it, even my girlfriend does and she hardly notice changes in quality. I wish you guys had a live chat would have been freaking awsome. Please give me a honest answer if the Netduma should 100% play this out perfectly all the time 24/7 I look somewhere else, if not even the smalles change I buy or swap routers or another solution.

Well we need to start narrowing down where the problem is occuring. In theory the Netduma R1 should be more than capable of streaming a 4K video consistently. This is why I think your device might be experiencing an issue.

Next time a video starts dropping in quality, go to System Information in DumaOS and check the CPU usage. If it's at 100%, that would explain what's happening.