Recently got the xr700 and the xr500. When I connect to my xr500 it works great, however when I use my xr700, I am getting really bad connection scores on speedtest. Even when I check to dslreports, my bufferbloat has an F rating and my overall is usually a C. With my xr500 I would get As all around and I have the same settings on both routers. What could be the issue? Possibly defective ? 

Guest Killhippie
28 minutes ago, Steve said:

Recently got the xr700 and the xr500. When I connect to my xr500 it works great, however when I use my xr700, I am getting really bad connection scores on speedtest. Even when I check to dslreports, my bufferbloat has an F rating and my overall is usually a C. With my xr500 I would get As all around and I have the same settings on both routers. What could be the issue? Possibly defective ? 

XR700 is based on the R9000 withn a shiny coat of DumaOS, it had problems at launch, and even though its radios are good the R7800 (XR500) was better at dealing with bufferbloat. Try different settings, saturate your network etc the settings for both routers will be different due to router design, also why buy a XR700 when the XR500 was perfectly capable, if you don't mind me asking? A NAS instead of Netgears messy Plex would work better. Sadly the bigger number on the packet does not always mean the best product. Honestly I'd keep the XR500 and take the XR700 back its plagued with issues. Unless you needed the bigger pipe at 10Gbps (still only has 1Gbps Ethernet though ) the XR500 is more than capable. Also gaming packets are tiny so you don't need a quad core SoC to push less than 1Mbps of data really. If its not broken dont fix it as they say. Also save some money tbh. (sorry if I sound blunt Its not meant in a nasty way but the XR500 is perfectly capable and unless you use the Plex media server I cant see the point in spending the extra cash when the XR500 has enough grunt)

1 hour ago, Killhippie said:

XR700 is based on the R9000 withn a shiny coat of DumaOS, it had problems at launch, and even though its radios are good the R7800 (XR500) was better at dealing with bufferbloat. Try different settings, saturate your network etc the settings for both routers will be different due to router design, also why buy a XR700 when the XR500 was perfectly capable, if you don't mind me asking? A NAS instead of Netgears messy Plex would work better. Sadly the bigger number on the packet does not always mean the best product. Honestly I'd keep the XR500 and take the XR700 back its plagued with issues. Unless you needed the bigger pipe at 10Gbps (still only has 1Gbps Ethernet though ) the XR500 is more than capable. Also gaming packets are tiny so you don't need a quad core SoC to push less than 1Mbps of data really. If its not broken dont fix it as they say. Also save some money tbh. (sorry if I sound blunt Its not meant in a nasty way but the XR500 is perfectly capable and unless you use the Plex media server I cant see the point in spending the extra cash when the XR500 has enough grunt)

I agree with you 100%. The only reason I got it was because it was on sale for black friday, so I wanted to see if it would make a difference. I was kinda shocked when I saw the scores I was getting with the 700. Just wasn't sure if it was bugged or if there was a setting I was missing on the 700 that the 500 didn't have. Wasn't aware that it had problems.

Guest Killhippie
6 hours ago, Steve said:

I agree with you 100%. The only reason I got it was because it was on sale for black friday, so I wanted to see if it would make a difference. I was kinda shocked when I saw the scores I was getting with the 700. Just wasn't sure if it was bugged or if there was a setting I was missing on the 700 that the 500 didn't have. Wasn't aware that it had problems.

It seems to suffer more issues with GUI and hardware bugs than the XR500, the R9000 did to, its like the more high end Netgear routers get the worst they behave....

9 hours ago, Steve said:

Well I don't tend to trust what DSLreports says as their anti-bufferbloat test doesn't seem to like the way we do it... That said, the fact that you get great results with the XR500 and worse results with the XR700 confuses me.

It's possible that it's defective, as you say. It's also possible that restarting the modem and router at the same time will fix these issues. 

3 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Well I don't tend to trust what DSLreports says as their anti-bufferbloat test doesn't seem to like the way we do it... That said, the fact that you get great results with the XR500 and worse results with the XR700 confuses me.

It's possible that it's defective, as you say. It's also possible that restarting the modem and router at the same time will fix these issues. 

This is true, dslreports is always acting up, but even when its acting up it would eventually stabilize it self and give me the semi accurate readings. I left the 700 connected for quit sometime and it was just consistent with an F buffer and a C overall. Quit confusing....

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Steve said:

This is true, dslreports is always acting up, but even when its acting up it would eventually stabilize it self and give me the semi accurate readings. I left the 700 connected for quit sometime and it was just consistent with an F buffer and a C overall. Quit confusing....

Did you do both tests on the routers through internet or WiFi? If WiFi then as 700 is more powerful and so likely getting better speeds through WiFi you would need to adjust this. That being said DSLReports isn't an effective test as it does not saturate your connection - which is when bufferbloat occurs.