just upgraded to a Dratek Vigor 130 modem and now router only has 10Mbps download ??

so i thought Id fork out £77 for a shiney new Draytek Vigor 130 modem to help improve my speeds .... or so i thought.

Everything looked great when i was setting up the modem, plug and play and download speeds reported as 74MB down 13MB up...

hooked up the xr500 to the wan port and xr cant get over 10Mbps ?....wtf ??

have rebooted router 10 times and same issue remains.... 

why will router not deliver the modems speed ?

update

did a factory reset on router and observed a weird anomaly...

as soon as the router was factory reset i setup the internet connection again.

at first the speed was around 60Mbps but then over the next 5 minutes, every speed test resulted in a gradual drop down to around 8Mbps....(and stayed there) ? 

what is going on with this router ??

Make sure draytek firmware is up to date and check it`s sync (192.168.2.1)  also it uses lantiq chipset,I use this modem as cabinet is ECI, if you have the nighthawk app you can see the throughput between the modem and router, this is a good starting point. I find that 130 will sync @ 70000 and see a throughput of 67,its drppoed since I moved from BT so going back,but generally they do work well together.however that drop is weird. You could maybe try a 30-30-30 reset of the router to complete clear it`s setting and start again

1 hour ago, sharpz44 said:

Make sure draytek firmware is up to date and check it`s sync (192.168.2.1)  also it uses lantiq chipset,I use this modem as cabinet is ECI, if you have the nighthawk app you can see the throughput between the modem and router, this is a good starting point. I find that 130 will sync @ 70000 and see a throughput of 67,its drppoed since I moved from BT so going back,but generally they do work well together.however that drop is weird. You could maybe try a 30-30-30 reset of the router to complete clear it`s setting and start again

yeah firmware check was first thing i did (latest BT one was already on there).

checking the speed on the modem GUI was the second thing, 74 Down, 13 Up.

I know my cabinet is a Huawei and my old modem, an Openreach HG612 (unlocked) is also Huawei chipset, I was getting about 9Mbps extra from it.

So maybe moving to the Draytek was a bad idea after all... :(

After several factory resets on the XR500, im now getting a steady 53Mbps Down and 11Mbps Up reported by the router.....  thats still 13Mbps of a drop from using the old HG612 Openreach Modem.

Think i will just switch back to the Huawei... despite its age (performance is everything.... so my wife says ? LOL!)

Guest Killhippie
11 hours ago, xlr8r said:

so i thought Id fork out £77 for a shiney new Draytek Vigor 130 modem to help improve my speeds .... or so i thought.

Everything looked great when i was setting up the modem, plug and play and download speeds reported as 74MB down 13MB up...

hooked up the xr500 to the wan port and xr cant get over 10Mbps ?....wtf ??

have rebooted router 10 times and same issue remains.... 

why will router not deliver the modems speed ?

Be aware in Northern Ireland most cabs are Huawei, the Vigor is Lantiq based, ( think ECI cab) so you will loose speed as they are not wonderfully compatible you are not the first person to loose a chunk of speed using a Lantiq modem on a Huawei cab.. The Vigor is great with other ECI cabs, just not Huawei ones, (if you are on a Huawei) you need a broadcom based modem. The chipset in the Vigor130 is a VRX-268 the same as in BT's old ECI modems that you can get for a tenner or less on Ebay... Id stick to the HG612 you were using tbh or pick up one of ebay and flash it with the latest firmware so you can see the stats (got to kitz.co.uk to do that) or use a Broadcom based modem.

2 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Be aware in Northern Ireland most cabs are Huawei, the Vigor is Lantiq based, ( think ECI cab) so you will loose speed as they are not wonderfully compatible you are not the first person to loose a chunk of speed using a Lantiq modem on a Huawei cab.. The Vigor is great with other ECI cabs, just not Huawei ones, (if you are on a Huawei) you need a broadcom based modem. The chipset in the Vigor130 is a VRX-268 the same as in BT's old ECI modems that you can get for a tenner or less on Ebay... Id stick to the HG612 you were using tbh or pick up one of ebay and flash it with the latest firmware so you can see the stats (got to kitz.co.uk to do that) or use a Broadcom based modem.

sending the Vigor 130 back to amazon and going to give the Netgear DM200 a go.... if thats no different, will revert to old faithful...DG612

thanks 

17 minutes ago, xlr8r said:

sending the Vigor 130 back to amazon and going to give the Netgear DM200 a go.... if thats no different, will revert to old faithful...DG612

thanks 

The 200 is also Lantiq in case you are not aware , if you go on kitz forum they think certain Zyxel modems work very well on Broadcom 

3 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

The 200 is also Lantiq in case you are not aware , if you go on kitz forum they think certain Zyxel modems work very well on Broadcom 

nice one, i completely misread a table indicating the DM200 as being Broadcom when indeed , it is not, cheers ....

are there no Broadcom "Pure" modems out there other than the HG612....?

or what modem/router combo is best to use ? (just to use in bridge mode) . i.e. Zyxel VMG8924  ?

Would there be any advantage at all going from a HG612 (unlocked) to a Zyxel VMG8924 ?

58 minutes ago, xlr8r said:

nice one, i completely misread a table indicating the DM200 as being Broadcom when indeed , it is not, cheers ....

or what modem/router combo is best to use ? (just to use in bridge mode) . i.e. Zyxel VMG8924  ?

Would there be any advantage at all going from a HG612 (unlocked) to a Zyxel VMG8924 ?

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?board=5.0

Have a look on here the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A and B 

1 hour ago, xlr8r said:

Personally if the HG612 works well and meets your line requirements I would stick with it,plus it`s unlocked so obviously you have acees to line stats if needed.  

Guest Killhippie
4 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

You may be right and I may be getting mixed up with Thinkbroadband. The DM200 does not get great reviews even though its a lantic/Infineon modem, as I looked at it and decided to avoid it after reading the reviews, its a later chipset though than the Vigor. Netgear just dont do well with firmware. <sigh> The VR-268 SoC in the ECI Openreach B Focus and Vigor 130 never played nicely with Huawei cabs though, and the half sized board in the Vigor 130 can run hot to although not when its this nippy.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Vigor+130+loss+of+speed+with+Huawei+cabs&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiC7OWq6Z7mAhXLYcAKHQ42A8MQBSgAegQIDBAm&biw=1324&bih=844&dpr=2