Strange DHCP issue - had to factory reset for

MikeTHIS

So my power went out a few times yesterday, I noticed my Xbox wouldn’t connect (it’s wired). 

I have static IP’a set by MAC address, but for whatever reason I couldn’t connect to the dashboard via wired from my laptop on my set IP range (192.168.1.1). 

My Xbox was assigned an ip out of the range, in this case 192.168.0.223 

My setup as a refresher is modem -> netduma R1 -> Airport Extreme (for wireless)

I could access the dashboard wirelessly through my phone though. I set the ip to the factory one and refreshed my laptop connection to try to access the dashboard - no dice. Still kept assigning incorrect IP’s on Xbox and laptop. 

I factory reset and changed all my connections back to what they were, assigned static IP’s and I’m good to go again. 

Definitely a strange one and something I’ve never had happen before  - any thoughts?

My power flickered is a better explanation - my generator never even had a chance to come on  

Interesting... Instead of assigning static IP's i'd usually advise using reserved IP's on the router, but if the devices aren't getting IP's by themselves I guess you need to use static. Sounds like DHCP wasn't handing out IP's correctly. Not sure why that happened.

How old is your R1?

2 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Interesting... Instead of assigning static IP's i'd usually advise using reserved IP's on the router, but if the devices aren't getting IP's by themselves I guess you need to use static. Sounds like DHCP wasn't handing out IP's correctly. Not sure why that happened.

How old is your R1?

Maybe I mis-spoke, I use the reservation feature set by MAC address, but only for the two Xbox’s. 

This is the R1 I was sent as a replacement over the summer. 

Was definitely strange and I sorted it out, just posted this as a “hey this happened” type thing lol

I also noticed that the wired ports showed as “offline” during this time was well when viewed in the devices pane. 

47 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Very strange, thanks for bringing it to our attention. It's unlikely but the MAC addresses hadn't changed had they?

Eh but still - would it assign an IP out of the range of what it’s set? Was completely different. 

I felt like the power outage half made a factory reset. Was strange. 

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, MikeTHIS said:

Eh but still - would it assign an IP out of the range of what it’s set? Was completely different. 

I felt like the power outage half made a factory reset. Was strange. 

That's more than likely, had reports in the past that outages have caused resets so most likely the reason it happened. Let us know if it happens again outside a power outage.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So it's happening once every 2.5 weeks would you say?

I rebooted as I like to reboot everything from time to time, and that’s when it assigned IP’s out of range again. I couldn’t get it sorted until a factory reset. 

So strange.  Could’ve been a coincidence on timing unless it’s a lease issue?

• Administrators

How are you doing the reboots? If unplugging try from the interface and vice versa to see if one is doing the half reset as you suspect. I'd say twice is a coincedence but three times makes a pattern so if it happens again I would consider it an issue definitely.

39 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How are you doing the reboots? If unplugging try from the interface and vice versa to see if one is doing the half reset as you suspect. I'd say twice is a coincedence but three times makes a pattern so if it happens again I would consider it an issue definitely.

I did unplug it, I was resetting my modem. 

I’ll make sure I go through the interface next time. But don’t forget it was a power failure the last one, my generator didn’t kick in because it flickered. 

That’s probably the issue. 

• Administrators

Yeah might be to do with power fluctuations so definitely use the interface next time and see what you find out. If it's to do with power we might be limited to what we can do as it's probably something to do with the hardware.