DumaOS - Login name, white/black devices list

I’m XR700 user from about 1 year (earlier XR500) and have some ideas to improve security and router usability.

1. Login name. You should consider possibility to change login name from “admin” to any other user name. Maybe it’s good idea to have several accounts to log in to router (admin/user access)

2. Device Manger – I think black/white list would be good solution. I’m owner about 8-10 devices but there is 25 devices in my Tree… And still increasing (my guests, people walking near my house etc.). I don’t want foreign devices. b/w list would help maybe.

• Administrators

For the login name this is dictated by Netgear unfortunately and it is standard across all their routers that the name is admin and you're unable to change it. It's unlikely they'll change this in future though it is a good idea. I imagine it is easier for support to have it as admin and unchangeable.

Just to clarify, are you wanting a list of devices you can prevent internet access to or are you wanting lists that separate your devices and others devices? You can block each devices access to the internet if needed. You said people walking by your house are showing up on your device manager, thats quite worrying. Have you enabled WiFi security/password?

Thanks for replay.

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

easier for support

I thought about it, but it’s weak point of security :).

are you wanting a list of devices you can prevent internet access to or are you wanting lists that separate your devices and others devices?

No, the white list contains devices witch can access to local WiFi. The blacklist prohibits devices from entering the router via WiFi. Black list it's similar to block devices on QoS > Tree but I don't want to block each device separetly just like I do now... White list is a better option for me.

Have you enabled WiFi security/password? 

:) -  of course I have! I had the same situation in my previous XR500. After two, three days there was several foreign devices appears in my router Tree view and I had to block them one by one... The point is to block WiFi access for any devices except mine.
It’s partly possible to realize in DHCP > “LAN Setup” but it’s hard to do… I have to register all my devices in “Address reservation” (IP, name, MAC), set up IP range to number of devices and increase “DHCP Lease Time” to max value (24 hours) but after this time other devices can register in router. It’s kind of white list but it works max 24 hours…

I hope it will help.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Lukas said:

Thanks for replay.
I thought about it, but it’s weak point of security :).

No, the white list contains devices witch can access to local WiFi. The blacklist prohibits devices from entering the router via WiFi. Black list it's similar to block devices on QoS > Tree but I don't want to block each device separetly just like I do now... White list is a better option for me.

:) -  of course I have! I had the same situation in my previous XR500. After two, three days there was several foreign devices appears in my router Tree view and I had to block them one by one... The point is to block WiFi access for any devices except mine.
It’s partly possible to realize in DHCP > “LAN Setup” but it’s hard to do… I have to register all my devices in “Address reservation” (IP, name, MAC), set up IP range to number of devices and increase “DHCP Lease Time” to max value (24 hours) but after this time other devices can register in router. It’s kind of white list but it works max 24 hours…

I hope it will help.

That was just me speculating, I don't know specifically why they do that, just that it's very unlikely to be changed.

Oh I see, so you want WiFi access control then. That was actually a feature but was removed, I believe Netgear removed it to fix issues that it had but I couldn't say if/when it would be back. However, that is something we like and so potentially something we could do in the future.

In that case I doubt the devices are actually from people walking past, more like devices that you've connected that the router just can't identify through normal means or devices that have been connected via WiFi and ethernet (2 devices would be created for this).

Nice to hear Netgear is working on it.

It’s hard to believe but I have several extra devices like Bravia TV (my neighbor’s SONY TV), many Android and iOS devices in Device Manager which are not mine.
I did a factory reset after firmware upgrade and it looks good now.

I use Gigabit Ethernet and WiFi from my XR700. WAN is supplied by optical fiber from IPS to modem and Gigabit Ethernet to router. No mains adaters.
Foreign devices appeared in Device Manager in my earlier XR500 too, so I thought it's normal. This situation was the cause of my topic...
There are my devices appears from last two days after factory reset, so white list might not be necessery. I hope it stays that way.