PS4 download speed decreased, wrong DNS?

Benge

My R1 is killing my internet speed - both download and upload on my PS4. Testing on the PS4 shows about half of my connection speed. Disabling QoS helps.

Could it be that my R1 are using wrong DNS? My PS4 shows a different primary and secondary DNS when connecting through the R1 oppose to connecting directly through my ISP's router. In the latter is uses my ISPs DNS.

When performing an internet test on my PS4 my geofilter briefly shows a connection to a server in the western US with a high ping. I live in Europe. Is this wrong?

Welcome to the forums!

What DNS server does the PS4 display? It might be that one of the servers it's showing is just the R1 itself. By default, the R1 should just use whatever DNS server the upstream router/modem specifies. Anyway DNS servers would be unlikely to mess with your internet speed. Just to be sure, set your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

When your internet speed is being slowed down, what does CPU Usage show under System Information on DumaOS?

Thank you 🙂

Primary DNS: 192.168.88.1

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

CPU-usage without QoS: 20-40%

CPU-usage with Qos: 20-30%

Changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 makes no difference.

My ISPs DNS is 212.10.10.4 /212.10.10.5, no difference either.

So guess it has nothing to do with my DNS.

When playing without QoS I experience a lot of stutter ind gameplay and speedup lag. These are not present with Qos enabled, but gameplay feels unresponsive.

Testing my connection shows, that with QoS enabled my download is roughly around 50% of my connection, while my upload is 10-20%.  Without QoS its around 80% / 40 %

When I perform the test and look at my geofilter first it shows a server in the western US (ec2-52-40-62-43.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com). The symbol is a square. Shortly after that a symbol like a man in my own country. I can ping the first server - ping is around 180ms, but not the other one.

The first server is way outside my geofilter.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Console speed tests can be inaccurate so I wouldn't put all your faith in it. Use a wired speed test from a PC to determine any issues. Gaming doesn't use much bandwidth (less than 1mbps) so I assume you're still getting enough to play. The Geo-Filter has likely blocked a local server that's used for the test which is why it used a different one and gave you slower speeds, you could test this by disabling the Geo-Filter before doing the test. You say with QoS enabled it halves the speed but what Anti-Bufferbloat settings are you using?

Wired test on pc with the PS4 turned off shows me full speed of my connection.

Disabling geofilter and testing on the PS4 makes no difference.

When I turn on my PS4 this is what my geofilter shows. For some reason it connects to the US and then my ISP in my home country. It's the same thing it shows when I test my connection. I have tried to with my geofilter covering the whole world and the result is still the same.

image.png.edc488d8c728df4e0a5ea65c93a2059d.png

I use when high priority is detected, 70%/70% and have only my PS4 selected i traffic priority. Turning antibufferbloat off makes no difference when testing.

• Administrators

That's an authentication server in the US so nothing to worry about - they appear with white solid circles around them to indicate they've been whitelisted by us. How have you added the PS4 into Traffic Prioritization?

• Administrators

Do high priority packets update rapidly when doing a speed test on the console? That's a very good ping, if that's not playing great for you then I'd suggest trying to force servers slightly further away and see if they play any better.

• Administrators

That's fine, was just checking. Theres quite a few servers around the UK so give a few of them a try. I'd suggest following this guide while saturating your connection with downloads, streams etc and adjusting Anti-Bufferbloat to find a % that lowers your ping the most and keeps it stable: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Benge said:

Just to make sure - before doing this, I'll have to make my PC a priority right? Otherwise it wont use QOS as it isn't prioritized?

No don't do that, just do it for Anti-Bufferbloat. Traffic Prioritization is primarily for low bandwidth applications like gaming, if you prioritized it then it would likely have the opposite effect.

• Administrators

Yes go lower, don't be afraid to go low. When you find a % that is pretty good try and go in increments of 5% as well. The idea is to find the percentage that keeps it as stable (a straight line) as possible. If it's very low that doesn't matter too much as you can just have it activate when there is high priority traffic i.e. when gaming.

My ISPs modem is in bridge mode. I performed this test with my PC connected directly to the modem and as the only unit. 692987226_Basetest-ISP.thumb.JPG.b9aa12c1e0ddd0f43f0700ee3764bd07.JPG

And this test with my ISPs modem in bridge mode but my PC connected to the R1. Antibufferbloat turned off.1030451532_Basetest-R1.thumb.JPG.1843c0de13b74072ad16df598bb36655.JPG

Is my ISP the problem here?

• Administrators

Ah, so there was nothing happening on the network at this time whatsoever? Just the PingPlotter running? In which case yes there is an inherent issue here. I'd first try changing the ethernet cable, it could just be an old one. If it continues then it may be worth seeing if your ISP can do anything about it - could be the modem or the line.

No nothing in the first test above. The second one with the R1 probably had some phones etc. connected but it was done at nighttime with no activity on the units.

Great minds think alike so I actually just bought new cables and replaced the old ones. A test performed with only my PC connected directly to my ISPs modem with the new cable:

image.thumb.png.9266cc5c267507b9b899187ebe70cbe3.png

I'm pinging the website of a major television network in my country. The ping it self looks good, but I don't understand the spikes...

I've just talked to my ISP. They tested my connection and couldn't find any errors, but they told me that my modem is quite old. A Cisco EPC3925. They'll send me an new one next week. Either a Technicolor CGA4233 or TC7230. Do you think this will solve the problem? 

• Administrators

That's fantastic! It's certainly possible, I should think you'll at least notice a slight improvement. They won't flag that as an issue because your speeds will be fine and you're not having outages and the ping range will be within their acceptable levels most likely.