Do I still need to use the download cap if my speed is reduced?

Greetings,

So basically I'm trying the Preemptive algorithm, and my internet speed has been reduced because of this.

Do I still need to use the download speed cap, or is there no need since my speed is now lower anyway?

This could apply in any situation. Can I put the sliders on 100% if my speed is lower than usual?

Thank you

• Administrators

Hey, so in order to get higher speeds you would need to use the reactive algorithm. If you want to use preemptive anyway then you should still adjust your caps to the level that you want to as you'll be limiting the overall speed to your home and therefore devices will be fighting over bandwidth even more so using Anti-Flood would prevent that becoming an issue.

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, Enrix said:

Yeah good point, ok thanks.

I'm just testing preemptive because I heard that gives you better bullet registration in shooters (?)

Yes a lot of people used to say that! Let us know what you find out! Also is there any reason you're not using DumaOS? Any feedback would be appreciated.

20 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes a lot of people used to say that! Let us know what you find out! Also is there any reason you're not using DumaOS? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yeah I tried a game today, and hit registration was on point! I'll play more.

About DumaOS, no reason at all tbh. I was thinking about updating tomorrow!
But there is no preemptive algorithm then.

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Enrix said:

Yeah I tried a game today, and hit registration was on point! I'll play more.

About DumaOS, no reason at all tbh. I was thinking about updating tomorrow!
But there is no preemptive algorithm then.

Great to hear that. Awesome, I think you'll like it. That's correct, no algorithms to choose from but it'll work great for all connection types. Give it a go and if you prefer the original firmware then you can always downgrade again if needed.

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great to hear that. Awesome, I think you'll like it. That's correct, no algorithms to choose from but it'll work great for all connection types. Give it a go and if you prefer the original firmware then you can always downgrade again if needed.

Update: I've tried the DumaOS today, and I was having some issues with the QoS.

Basically my download speed was really slow. I followed this guide until it said that I have an "obscure issue" and that I should put my ISP modem to modem mode or bridge more (I have that blue box when going into Device Manager with the original firmware).

But apparently using my main modem as bridge is not simple, I've searched some guides on google and looks too complicated so I won't even bother...

I am having no issues with the original firmware so :)

Unfortunate tho!

• Administrators

What is the ISP hub that you have? We may be able to help you research and get you sorted. If it doesn't have a modem mode and bridge mode is difficult then you can always put the R1 in its' DMZ and that will achieve the same affect. Also when doing a speed test were ALL devices connected to the R1 and was the test done using ethernet?

It's called "Vodafone Power Station", and apparently the model is SHG300.

My Netduma is already in DMZ, and yes the test was done using ethernet cable connected to the Netduma, that's not the problem.

Basically when I disabled the QoS internet speed was fine, which is around 175MB/s, and then when I enabled it again it dropped to around 10MB/s. Same device same everything.

In the guide I linked you in my last comment I am basically at step 4, and at some point it says I have an obscure problem. I read and followed everything.

Now repeat the Speedtest.

If your speeds returned to normal then you have achieved the objective of getting full speeds.

If your speeds were still low but they are normal through your modem, then you have an obscure issue. We recommend you try the following:

• Set your modem to 'Modem mode' or 'Bridge Mode' (if it has the option).

Screenshot_2019-10-24 DumaOS Optimal Settings Guide Maxmimum Bandwidth Speeds.png

• Administrators

My apologies, I thought you meant an actual message on the interface. I can't find much online about your hub at all unfortunately. Just to make sure, your speeds have been entered into bandwidth settings correctly? If not even if you have set Anti-Bufferbloat to never it'll keep the speeds to what you have set. Have you added your PC to the Geo-Filter at all? Have you changed any DNS or WAN Settings?

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

My apologies, I thought you meant an actual message on the interface. I can't find much online about your hub at all unfortunately. Just to make sure, your speeds have been entered into bandwidth settings correctly? If not even if you have set Anti-Bufferbloat to never it'll keep the speeds to what you have set. Have you added your PC to the Geo-Filter at all? Have you changed any DNS or WAN Settings?

Yeah about my router, same for me. Can't find many guides and the only ones I find look so complicated...

Can't even find a simple setting in the router interface. I bet there is a way but it must be not easy.

Yes Sir I've done everything right, followed the guide and everything.

My speed values were right and my QoS was set to never.

I did not add my PC to the Geo Filter tho, I think it doesn't matter.

It's as simple as I said: Qos disabled? Speed is fine. QoS enabled --> speed is too low

I would say that it's possible that your bandwidth is higher than the R1 can handle, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The R1 should be able to handle 200mbps easily.

Is there a reason you're using the original firmware rather than DumaOS?

On 10/28/2019 at 6:02 PM, Netduma Alex said:

I would say that it's possible that your bandwidth is higher than the R1 can handle, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The R1 should be able to handle 200mbps easily.

Is there a reason you're using the original firmware rather than DumaOS?

No reason at all as I already said in another reply, but I went back to the original firmware because of this issue