XR500/DumaOS Support Life Cycle

This question may have already been asked so apologies in advance (I did look) , I own the XR500 and just wish to understand as the XR500 was introduced in January 2018, how long will Netduma continue to support the XR500 alongside Netgear until it reaches its EOL - usually Netgear keep pushing out new firmware's for 6 years, is this the plans for DumaOS also (contractually) ?

Thanks

Hey, welcome to the forums!

It's a good question and it's one that we haven't really got an official statement on. Basically we have no plans to drop support for any of the DumaOS routers. The idea is that we'll keep updating DumaOS with new features and it will be put onto every device.

Features will likely release on the R1 first, as it's our in-house hardware, and then will be deployed to Netgear routers in the next firmware update. It takes a bit longer to get things onto the Netgear routers because Netgear have their own QA process.

But essentially, we don't have any plans to drop support for any routers. That's not to say we never will, I have no idea if we will, but we have no plans to. If you think about it, most routers come with their firmware and only get security updates. What we're offering is quite unique, because we will be adding loads of new functionality after the initial purchase.

By the way, in case you hadn't seen, here's an announcement about our next big update: 

Hi Alex, Understood and thank you for responding, I am sure others who will read this topic and who are thinking of purchasing the XR500 (great hardware) would be concerned that without an understanding of when the support may end, there initial investment in a new Router may encourage them to buy another product instead.

But we will just have to hope the team keep up the good work and continue to support the XR500 for many years to come, with Netgears approval  ;-)

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, UK Sentinel said:

Hi Alex, Understood and thank you for responding, I am sure others who will read this topic and who are thinking of purchasing the XR500 (great hardware) would be concerned that without an understanding of when the support may end, there initial investment in a new Router may encourage them to buy another product instead.

But we will just have to hope the team keep up the good work and continue to support the XR500 for many years to come, with Netgears approval  😉

Hey, welcome to the forum!

We've only just started with DumaOS, where we want to take it is astronomical so I couldn't see support being phased out anytime soon!