XR500 Can't connect to internet

Having some issues with setting up my new xr500. Old router is working on same setup fine, on a fttp setup it goes through the auto setup when logging in, internet light on router turns white, says I'm connected on all wired/wireless devices in home but doesn't have any actual access to the internet. It asks for pppoe when setting up and have got all of that right since the same thing works on the router currently in use. Any ideas? bit stuck thanks for reading

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, slink_ said:

Having some issues with setting up my new xr500. Old router is working on same setup fine, on a fttp setup it goes through the auto setup when logging in, internet light on router turns white, says I'm connected on all wired/wireless devices in home but doesn't have any actual access to the internet. It asks for pppoe when setting up and have got all of that right since the same thing works on the router currently in use. Any ideas? bit stuck thanks for reading

Try using the mac address of your old router on the XR500, sometimes modems get quirky when they see a new router. or if that fails shut down your modem, power down the XR500 wait 2 minutes or so and power up the modem once in sync then attach the XR500 and power that up.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Good advice above. In System Information does the router show that it's getting a WAN IP at all? Also in Settings > Internet Setup have you tried switching it from auto and putting in the details manually?

Thanks for the replies guys

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Good advice above. In System Information does the router show that it's getting a WAN IP at all? Also in Settings > Internet Setup have you tried switching it from auto and putting in the details manually?

So I've gone through everything fully again. NTD and router off and getting the same results. It does get a WAN IP, everything indicates that I should have internet. I thought maybe my ISP used a certain DNS so I've copied everything from the previous router (Primary/Secondary/MAC) and still can''t get it to go through. When pinging googles DNS I get my usual 60ms but if i just ping google.com it will only reach my router <1ms. Really lost as to what is causing the issue here.

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you set any static internet settings on the devices themselves left over from the previous router?  What is your ISP and physical setup?

No everything just done auto, I'm with Telstra velocity in aus. Only have the xr500 coming from ntd. Previously using some technicolor model.

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In PPPoE settings do you have it set to connect always? If not that may be the cause if you have it set to dial on demand.

yep, friend of mine with some networking degree had a look at the way it's set up and can't seem to find any issues

• Administrators

If it all seems to be okay the only thing I could think of is that you may not actually need PPPoE. If you set it so it doesn't require a login and then reboot does that work? Also was the technicolor using VLAN at all?

Maybe a dumb question, but did you try rebooting it when it showed a white light for internet? I had that once, was scratching my head as to why it wasn't working but a reboot did the trick. Usually it takes settings on the fly but in my case it didn't.

Also, since you can ping google's IP adress, but not google.com, it would suggest that your issue is DNS related. Have you tried setting another DNS server in the XR500 like Google or CloudFlare? Or select the option get automatically from your ISP.

What happens when you ping the DNS servers that were listed in your old router?

45 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If it all seems to be okay the only thing I could think of is that you may not actually need PPPoE. If you set it so it doesn't require a login and then reboot does that work? Also was the technicolor using VLAN at all?

would make sense, anything i've looked at says fttp doesn't use pppoe but will have to reboot at later time. When I originally set it up I tried without anything but now on auto setup it requests pppoe and doing so gives me the half internet access

Edit: no didnt set up anything vlan related

49 minutes ago, Bert said:

M

Ok so I've tried all of these things, regardless of the dns settings I am able to ping the google dns and the one used by my previous router. 

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay well try without and a reboot when you can, meanwhile I'll have a think and see if there is anything else that could be causing it.

Have gone through it from scratch again, without pppoe the internet light stays orange. Pinging a DNS will go through but still nothing to web addresses. Teamspeak is also usable but discord isn't, really lost now haha.

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's really weird. Could you connect back the technicolor ahead of the XR500, confirm that's working on its own and then connect the XR500 to it, will it get a connection then?

Yeah, done many times. I'm using the old router now and no issues to anything. It is a router/modem but everywhere I've read says the ntd works as one so only a router is needed. Am pretty new to a lot of this stuff. I think I'll have a talk with the telstra nbn support and see if they know something.

If you can ping google DNS or your ISP's DNS adress then it's physically connecting to the internet, so your PPPOE settings etc should all be right. That's why you get the white light.

It's just not resolving the hostnames properly. There is actually multiple instances of this exact same problem on the Netgear forums, resetting and autodetecting the connection seemed to solve the issue for that user but not sure if it will for you since you seemed to start off with autodetect.

Did it actually upgrade the firmware on install, or were you on .56 already?

What you could try doing on your PC is run a manual configuration, ie set a static IP, and set DNS to google or cloudflare on the PC and see if it works that way. That's not a solution for all your devices but then you can rule out the connection settings.

@Bert So when I got it all going it recognised that it needed a firmware update, didn't take note of what version it's currently running. When it tried to update it wouldn't download anything, speed test didn't work either. Will wait for people to go to work today then give it another go with something set up manually.

@Netduma Fraser so after giving what bert said a shot, it's worked... after reset and auto setup then just adding my own dns there are no issues. Really clueless as to what the issue was but I really appreciate everyone's help. Wouldn't have even known where to start looking. Again thank you everyone.

If it failed the update and speedtest, did it finish the set up wizard?

On my first XR500, I simply skipped the wizard and set it up manually, and that didn't work for me. I needed to go through the wizard the first time in order for it to work somehow. I had all the settings right but since it didn't finish the process it failed to connect to internet.

What you could try:

1. Reset the XR500 to factory specs

2. Connect Modem -> Your old router WAN -> XR500 WAN.

3. Let the wizard run and do auto setup, let it update the firmware, enter speeds etc

4. Remove the router in between and set PPPOE details, then you should be set to go.

/Edit: Nevermind, I see you had it going already :)