first steps after bought XR500

Good morning Guys

I just bought a USED NetGear XR500 (i used the Netduma R1 since launch) 
so i have some questions that i have to share them with you

1. What is my firs steps to do after i receive the XR500 as its used ??
2. Do i need to update Netgear software and DumaOS ?? if yes how i can do this ??
3. how can i factory reset XR500 ??
4. Until now i had connected me R1 as bridge through my modem .. the XR500 will be just plug and play or i need to change something else ??
5. Do you beleive that i will see huge difference from R1 to XR500 (i mean on wifi range, speed and DumaOS) ??

what else i need to know ???

1/2/3: If you can access the interface, you should go to Settings > Backup Settings > Factory Reset. The router will check for an update automatically during the setup procedure. If you can't get to the interface, you can reset it using the button on the back. https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

4: Just connect the XR500 to the modem and you should be good to go.

5. Wifi Range will be a big improvement, maximum speeds while using QoS should be much better.

--

By default, Smart Connect is enabled, which combines the 2.4 and 5GHz bands of WiFi into one, and gives each device the best one it's compatible with.

If you like, you can seperate the two bands and give them seperate names/passwords. 5GHz is faster but shorter range, 2.4GHz is slower but longer range.

There's also a guest network you can enable so that you don't need to give house guests your password.

Yeah basically Netgear provides all updates for the XR500. We send Netgear our DumaOS updates and they integrate them into their next firmware.

Sometimes Netgear pushes out an update which doesn't change DumaOS at all, but does contain bug fixes or changes to the Settings section.

All of Netgear's updates can be downloaded here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx

You can't install updates that we release on this forum.

Well if you go to Settings > Administration > Firmware Update, you can press a button to check for new updates.

You can also choose to Agree or Disagree to receiving new updates automatically.

You can also upload a firmware file from here, if for example you want to downgrade to an earlier version, or if you are taking part in a beta.

Well the R1 uses 192.168.88.1 by default, whereas the XR500 uses 192.168.1.1, so that's slightly different

But the interface is largely the same. The biggest differences are in the Settings section, which is unique to Netgear routers.

• 2 weeks later...

Help

I have problem i dont know what to do... 

I just got the router (XR500) and i cannot manage to make it work. 

From my providers modem that its bridge i speed tear it and i get from port 1, 120+ mbps.. 

But when i connect it to xr500 it always says, no Internet, and my laptop can't recognise the router.. I tried 3 different cables 

What is the problem??? 

Guest Killhippie
6 minutes ago, gkontos10 said:

Help

I have problem i dont know what to do... 

I just got the router (XR500) and i cannot manage to make it work. 

From my providers modem that its bridge i speed tear it and i get from port 1, 120+ mbps.. 

But when i connect it to xr500 it always says, no Internet, and my laptop can't recognise the router.. I tried 3 different cables 

What is the problem??? 

When you turned on the XR500 did it fail to connect during the setup routine where you input any details you need to, like a password etc if needed?

Ok after 2 factory reset now seems to be ok.. 

One huge issue are the internet speeds 

I get from my modem 138mbps

And from XR500 78mbps

Both connected with cable 

That is a huge difference.. 

What to do? 

IMG_20191023_155632.jpg

IMG_20191023_155443.jpg

Guest Killhippie

Do you have antibufferbloat on and what is it set to percentage wise? Is it also set to always on? If so that will limit your throughput, set it to when high priority traffic detected that should then give you back all your throughput until you are gaming. Also did you put your speeds in using the speedtest or manually and are they showing correctly? Finally what firmware are you running, did XR500 ask you to update to 2.3.2.56 or did it come with that? Seeing screenshots of your antibufferbloat and QoS settings would be helpful.

So 

Antibufferbloat its at 100%

Also it set on "when high priority traffic detected" 

Secondly i set my speeds manually at 120 down and 7 up as the package i paid...

Firmware said that is updated to the latest version.. 

So also a fast rewind 

1. I test speed through modem and i got 138mbps download 

2. At the setup wizard when netgear test the speeds, it gaves me 138mbps download 

3. After finish the wizard i test again and i got 76 (i tested multiple times) 

I didn't change anything exept

Geofilter set to Cyprus and filtering mode

I set manually Antibufferbloat at 120 down and "when high priority traffic detected" 

Set playstation as high priority 

Thats all

Guest Killhippie
27 minutes ago, gkontos10 said:

So 

Antibufferbloat its at 100%

Also it set on "when high priority traffic detected" 

Secondly i set my speeds manually at 120 down and 7 up as the package i paid...

Firmware said that is updated to the latest version.. 

So also a fast rewind 

1. I test speed through modem and i got 138mbps download 

2. At the setup wizard when netgear test the speeds, it gaves me 138mbps download 

3. After finish the wizard i test again and i got 76 (i tested multiple times) 

I didn't change anything exept

Geofilter set to Cyprus and filtering mode

I set manually Antibufferbloat at 120 down and "when high priority traffic detected" 

Set playstation as high priority 

Thats all

Gaming uses such small amounts 1Mbps or less Antibufferbloat works when its behaving well. You should not need to add the PS4 to prioritisation at all. Remove it form prioritisation, leave DumaOS classified games ticked, make sure your PS4 is added in geo-filter only. Then try again. Its best to follow the setup really. What modem are you using?

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

If your speeds were still low after disabling QoS but they are normal through your modem, then you have an obscure issue. We recommend you try the following:

Set your modem to 'Modem mode' or 'Bridge Mode' (if it has the option). You will need to consult your Modem's user manual if you are not sure how to do this

Disable IPv6 in your Network Settings on your DumaOS router

If you use PPPoE to connect to the Internet, make sure this is entered into your modem, instead of your router

All 3 are ok so what suppose to be the problem? 

1 hour ago, gkontos10 said:

My modem that my provider gave me its an ARRIS TG2492

So when you did the speed test during the initial start up, it detected the correct speeds?

Could you go to QoS, Bandwidth Allocation, open the side menu and make sure that Share Excess is turned on.

If it is, could you open the anti-bufferbloat side menu and tick Disable QoS. Now test the speed again. IF the speed is better, then QoS is the problem. If the speed is the same... Well then we'll need to think again.

Yes At the wizard it runs a speed test by it self and it show 138 down, like the speed i got from modem...
I run a speed test after wizard and set up finish and i got 76 down..
But i didn't connect anything i just finished the set up...

At QOS i set it to 120 down and 7 up as the package i paid...

Share excess its ticked 

Ok i will try disable QOS