XR Routers and PLEX

I have noticed that most of the advertisement on the XR gaming routers showed that they have a fantastic processor that would support running a Plex Media server. After buying the XR 300 come to find out they said at Netgear only the xr700 could support Plex. Now I'm seeing that the xr500 can support Plex. I've got the XR 300 and it has the processor that can handle it why can't we install anyting on it like apps like the other models the capability is obviously there I believe but what's holding it back and can it be done.? Also I've seen others have used open source software to install and flash firmware but some have lost DUMAOS capability like geofilter and other say they have done it correctly and flashed it so that they have install Plex and kept DUMOS capability.  Please advise.  I feel in a way it was falsely advertised and now I can't even return my model to get the one that supports Plex which is half the reason I bought this unit. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

I've never seen any advertising that suggested any of the Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming other than the XR700 supported Plex. If you link me to the advertising in question i'll take a look and if it is indeed misleading then we'll sort that out.

The XR700 is the only model that supports Plex, and this is a feature added by Netgear and not core feature of DumaOS. When it comes to core DumaOS features, we intend keep them the same across all products, with the exception of features that will not run on specific hardware.

The long term plan for DumaOS is to add the R-App store, where you'll be able to download/purchase new features in the form of R-Apps.

We're working on adding big features to DumaOS in the upcoming version 3.0 - There's some details here: 

I believe it might be possible to install open source firmware such as OpenWRT onto the XR300 but this will void the warranty and we won't provide tech support if you choose to do so.

I hope this clears up any confusion, and I hope you enjoy your XR300 despite the fact it doesn't have Plex.

• 7 months later...

So is this an issue with the NetDumaOS (not being Plex friendly) or the processor power (or lack their of) on the XR300 and XR500?

I ask as ever since switching to my new XR500 2 weeks ago running Plex reliably through the XR500 from my NAS (on which my Plex lives) and my Roku3 (which feeds my TV) has been a #$%%$#$ nightmare. Rarely lets Plex load and it's sloooooow, so slow if it ever does actually load.

I am not trying to poo poo on the NetDumaOS or the XR500 model but Plex ran just find with a 2010 Netgear run of the mill nothing fancy router for years without any of these same performance issues, so I find it hard to believe it's a matter of processor power. Unless peeps are using the XR700 as the media server itself not just a passthrough router/box from either Plex on their PC or on a NAS.

No. it's a matter of Netgear not letting you run Plex on the XR500 but they do on the XR700. Probably marketing, just giving the XR700 more features to justify it's higher price.

You're barking up the wrong tree here.

Yeah as @Bert says, it's more about differentiating different tiers of products.

As I said previously, the Plex support on the XR700 is a Netgear feature, we had nothing to do with it. If we added Plex support to DumaOS natively, we'd probably have it as an optional installable add-on, and I imagine we'd limit it based on which hardware was powerful enough to run it.

Anyway, any problems with the Plex server on XR700 are Netgear's problem rather than ours. I'm not trying to pass the buck but we literally had nothing to do with that implimentation.