QoS enabled = bandwidth issues

fatal0Efx

My internet is 200/20 mbps (down/up).  I normally run with QoS enabled but recently I found that speed tests from my own ISP servers show I'm only getting like 100-110/15 mbps.  Disabling QoS entirely fixes the issue and I'm able to get full bandwidth.  

At the moment my machine is the ONLY computer connected to the internet so I do not understand what about my QoS config is killing my download speeds by 50%.  I always thought QoS gives priority to devices but if there's only one device requesting the bandwidth and not competing with others, it could consume near maximum bandwidth. 

Is this expected behavior or is this a bug?

*Edit, upload is actually 20 mbps, not 10.  Upload speeds rarely seem affected.

Anti-Bufferbloat is default at 70% and share excess is enabled.  If I set buffer bloat to 100, it seems to increase speeds, but only marginally (~130-140 Mbps or so).  If I set buffer bload to Never, it doesn't help any more than the 100% set prior.  If I simply disable QoS, massive spike in speeds (225 Mbps on my last test).

Eww, I just re-enabled QoS and put it back to 70%, now my DL speeds are maxing out at around 25 Mbps for a couple of runs.  Now it hit 150 Mbps, which is better than what it was before.  Ran it again, now it finally hit 190 with the original settings but recurring runs average about 130-140.  What could explain these massive swings?

Without QoS enabled it's consistently above 200.

17 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

On the System Information page, you can see CPU usage. Is your CPU usage especially high when you've got QoS and Anti-Bufferbloat on? I'm wondering if the bottleneck might be the CPU power of the R1.

It looks like that may be the issue.

With QoS disabled, the cpu hits about 50-60% (up from 20% nominal).  First test after enabling QoS saw full bandwidth (interestingly), with CPU at 80%.  Second test after enabling QoS went back to being throttled around 100 Mbps but CPU did hit 100% the entire time.  Subsequent tests remain throttled and 100% cpu.  Wonder how the first test was successful?  Perhaps all QoS functionality wasn't fully enabled when I ran the test?

Ultimately if this is truly a CPU issue, that's unfortunate as nothing can really be done I'd imagine, unless there are some potential room for improvement in the code base?

Well we've got a big update coming which will make some fundamental changes to the OS, so I wouldn't be surprised if that improves matters.

The R1 was first introduced in 2014, and was designed for connections in the two digit range. The original R1 firmware was a lot more lightweight, and this is why we still consider the R1's implementation of DumaOS to be a beta.

Also, some R1's that are especially old seem to experience this bottlenecking more. The consequence of age I suppose.

• 2 months later...

Reposting here as @Netduma FraserFraser thinks this should still not be an issue.

To answer your questions I only had a single device active on it during my testing and it didn't matter if I gave all percentage to that device or just set it even for all. Shared bandwidth was turned on.  As far as I could tell with the configs I tested (especially shared bw) , my device would have been expected to get 100% of the bandwidth but it barely got more than half. Nothing else was active to consume any bandwidth. 

• Administrators

Thanks for the update. What I would suggest is do a factory reset from the interface and then once you're back in just change the bandwidth speeds to what you are supposed to receive and leave every other setting alone, make sure Anti-BB is on Never and 100% and then see what you get through a speed test. Just to be clear you're not on PPPoE are you?