Speed issues due to Firmware

• Administrators

What is your exact physical setup? What speeds are you expecting to get? 

Have you input your correct speeds in the router bandwidth settings? What QoS settings are you using - do you get full speeds when disabled completely from Anti-Bufferbloat options?

Yes I have the correct speeds, as I kept QoS off to keep an eye on the line speed. I have a BT modem plugged into the router and I cloned the original mac address from the other router so that I could connect. This is purely a router firmware issue as the ISP keeps an eye on the line (metrics) to keep the line fast and stable. So when they are not present it acts as the line is not stable enough to handle a fast connection. Similar to DLM profiles.

With the OEM router I get 65 - 75 down and 18 - 25 up. Now I get 40 - 50 down and 15 - 18 up.

Do you have the Nighthawk app installed. It has a speed test and gives a spot on speed test and it’s better than speedtests own app. I’m on BT too and don’t forget if you keep turning the modem on and off it will limit the speed for a while as it thinks there’s an issue. 

• Administrators

There shouldn't be a firmware issue causing that, it's perfectly capable of hitting those speeds. So even with QoS disabled you don't get full speeds? That usually indicates an issue elsewhere. How are you conducting the speed tests?

I have mentioned what the issue is. Please stop diverting.
I am not turning my router on and off, I have used the Netgear app to conduct speed tests. Yes with QoS disabled I am not getting full speeds.

If you have a OEM router you can see in the connection settings for the wan, that the router automatically detects speeds and other various statistics. 
These help determine how stable the connection is and get reported back to the ISP and BT (as BT do not let the ISP have control over DLM profiles at least for VADSL2+).

There are extras built into the OEM routers firmware, which is an issue when it comes to third party routers and speeds.
If you are on VADSL2+ yourself please try the OEM router, you will see a big difference. 

I’m on the same setup and I managed to get a bit more speed out of the line compared to my old Apple router. You did add your speed profile into the QoS section yes?

its not your router that I mentioned turning on and off it’s your modem. 

i take it you are using a HG612 modem too or are you using the BT home hub and calling that a modem.

• Administrators

If you run through the router setup wizard just to do the speedtest does that report lower or does it appear to be the expected speeds? It's a good test as it's router directly to speed test with nothing else affecting it. Also if you test directly to speedtest.net do you get the same results?

I’m having same issue. I just updated the firmware and my speed are lower than expected I use to get 82.50 download and upload was 85.78 now I’m getting download 67.45 and upload is 25.7 it’s lower than expected. When I run test on dslreports I get the speed I’m supposed to get

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, JACKSDARIPPER said:

I’m having same issue. I just updated the firmware and my speed are lower than expected I use to get 82.50 download and upload was 85.78 now I’m getting download 67.45 and upload is 25.7 it’s lower than expected. When I run test on dslreports I get the speed I’m supposed to get

Slightly confused, you're getting lower speeds but on DSLReports you get expected speeds? Is this vs speedtest.net? Have you lowered your Anti-Bufferbloat settings?

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Slightly confused, you're getting lower speeds but on DSLReports you get expected speeds? Is this vs speedtest.net? Have you lowered your Anti-Bufferbloat settings?

No I haven’t lowered my anti -bufferbloat  both of my slider is set to 100 I did everything that the optimal guide said to do but my speed are still lower . This just started happening once I updated the firmware. Yes I dslreports when I’m running the ping test it gives me my exact speed  but not speed test 

• Administrators

You literally updated your speeds today? It may take a few days to settle in that case. It doesn't indicate an issue with the router as different sites are reporting different speeds but not too far off what you're supposed to get. Give it a few days and see what it is like then.

I always had speed my 75/75 this just started happening when I updated the firmware on the xr500

39 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You literally updated your speeds today? It may take a few days to settle in that case. It doesn't indicate an issue with the router as different sites are reporting different speeds but not too far off what you're supposed to get. Give it a few days and see what it is like then.

46 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Should still put the actual speed that I pay from my isp