QoS Not Working XR500

Hi all- 

I am not able to adjust my download/upload bufferbloat settings.  I can adjust the sliders, but there is no increase or decrease in speeds via dslreports.com/speedtest.

I keep getting 70-75mbps.  All Testing Is Wired!

When I ran the config wizard to retest speeds, the results were what I am paying for (177down 12 up)

I have: 

Tried sliders, checked to see if download and upload were enable for sharing, checked the "never" box above the bufferbloat sliders and unchecked it several times, factory reset, new firmware- rolled back firmware from the factory reset "r-app" error. Reset the cable modem (Arris SB8200), power cycled several times both modem and xr500.

IPV6 is disabled.  I even tried doing a speedtest with the QoS disabled box checked.

I still only get the 70-75down

Please help!

EDIT:  I have noticed that all testing DOES show that my upload speeds are correct when I adjust using the sliders, etc....  It's only my download speeds.  Also, when I decrease the download speeds on the slider.  It does lower the mbps overall (download), but at 100%, I top off at 70-75.  Should be 175-180

Thanks in advance

Yes, the speeds were correct. No vlan or pppoe settings. I just did yet another factory reset and it's functioning normally now, but this is a reoccurring issue I've run into in the past 12-18 months. Have always had to do a factory reset, but this time it took 2 times, plus an error from restoring from backup settings.

Are there any other users having similar issues over long periods of time?  It's quite a headache to have to do factory resets when bufferbloat features aren't working

Thanks also for replying so late over there across the pond- appreciate it.

• Administrators

Were your backup settings created from a previous firmware version? If so that may be causing the issues. I would recommend you start fresh after a reset on the latest firmware then make a backup and only use that backup for that version. If you were to do an upgrade it is generally a good idea to do a factory issues to ensure no legacy issues carry over. Issues like this are generally only present when using PPPoE, VLAN or IPv6, thats why I think maybe your backup is causing the issue.

Yes, the backup was from the prior firmware. I backed up to upgrade to the new firmware. Just happened to notice bandwidth issues while upgrading.

• Administrators

That was likely the cause then, only use the backup for the firmware it was made on. When you upgrade you shouldn't lose any settings, it is good practice to do a reset after an upgrade but if you do this set up again from scratch.

Not to keep this issue open, but the backup wasn't the cause of my initial issue.  It was an extra problem because of the reasons you mentioned, but the bandwidth was not working properly before I upgraded the firmware.

This has happened in the past with the bufferbloat sliders/percentages not functioning and I never used a backup after a factory reset in those times.  I tried this time and learned to not use backup to a previous firmware.

What's bothering me is that this is an intermittent issue I've encountered before, and the only way to fix it is with a factory reset. Is it possible for you to remotely link up to my router the next time this might happen? Thanks again for the help.

All is working now- fresh start on latest firmware.

• Administrators

That is strange, when it happens what browser are you using? Do you access via HTTP or HTTPS? If it's possible when it happens then we can do that, a video would be better if you could do that though as it's then something we can show the developers.

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's definitely the wrong way round, wireless should never be faster than wired. What firmware version are you on? Have you tried downgrading and upgrading firmware as suggested above?

I believe i've seen this issue a few times before and I think it resulted in replacement units being needed.