XR500 V2.3.2.56 - Potential wifi isolation issue

Hi,

The issue I have is that now I can't use the Kodi remote app from my tablet (wifi) to connect to my Rapserry pie (wired).

The app on the tablet finds kodi, but it never manages to actualy connect to it.

The app is saying that it's either a firewall issue (I never add any rules before, UPNP is active) or a wifi isolation one.

From the tablet I can ping the Raspeberry, and the Raspberry can access to my other wired devices and to the internet.

It only started yesterday after I did a factory reset after having installed the new firmware, plugged the router directly behind the ONT (removing the Orange box completely) and changed the configuration to be in "Orange DHCP" mode. Nothing has changed on the Raspberry, the tablet or the app (same version, same IP)

Every thing was working fine with the previous firmware and when the XR500 was plugged to the Orange box (the router was my DHCP, all my devices were connected to it on a 192.168.0.X network while my box was on a 192.168.1.X) and I set "no" the the question "Does your internet connexion requieres a login?"

So let me detail my network and my settings :

• The XR500 is plugged directly to the ONT, I removed the Orange Box.
  • After the factory reset, I chose to apply the ISP settings automatically (Orange France DHCP)
  • The Raspeberry pie is plugged to a switch that is plugged to the router (it has always been the case, I kept using the same IP after the factory reset)
  • My tablet is connected by wifi (5ghz)
  • The guest wifi is disabled
  • You'll find the configuration details in attachment1488452090_Wirelessconf.thumb.png.9a6ae2cc6ce028d4b6b73ed98a83a835.png16999867_AdvancedWireless.thumb.PNG.30e709e6d8ac85802beeafecd9377f55.PNG823882859_VLANsettings.thumb.PNG.8f0f03e447fa2940f95fdcdda5766caf.PNG
  • I've already tried to change the port on Kodi (8080 by default) but I still get the same error
  • I tried with port forwarding, not working

Please help me :)

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

Could you try enabling the WiFi and connecting your tablet through that to see if it works? I've heard that working for some people, for some reason.

I enabled the WiFi on the pie and disconnected the wire connection : same result, it's not working :(

Thx

Edited by mathmath51
Tried to activate the WiFi on the pie : same result

58 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Sorry I typed that wrong, must have been half asleep 😮

What I meant to say, if that if you connect your phone via the Guest WiFi network, does that work?

You can keep the pi connected via LAN.

Not working :(

I've checked the "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" also.

When the tablet is connected to the guest wifi, it's not even detecting the Raspberry and the host service that's running on it (I'd say the check box mentioned before is also not doing it's job then)

Hm, I might need to ask somebody at NETGEAR to take a look at this as this might be a problem with the new firmware.

Could you download the previous version from here and install it? https://kb.netgear.com/000060464/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-40

See if it starts working again or stays broken

Back to V2.3.2.40

• Had to plug the router to the orange box to the ONT has the Orange France DHCP mode doesn't exist in this version
  • Also did a factory reset
  • Router configured automatically (was connected to the internet right away as it was plugged to the Orange box)
  • Pie wired to router, Tablet to the router Wifi : It's working!

Back to V2.3.2.56

• Kept the router plugged to the orange box to the ONT
  • Also did a factory reset
  • Router configured automatically (was connected to the internet right away as it was plugged to the Orange box)
  • Pie wired to router, Tablet to the router Wifi : It's working!

For science,

• I went back to router connected directly to the ONT
  • Didn't do a factory reset
  • Went to settings -> setup -> and selected Orange France DHCP
  • Then rebooted the router

Now that's where it's interesting :

• With the remote already configured, it was working properly
  • So I erased the host config in the app and tried again : impossible to connect, same issue as before

So I went back to the router -> Orange Box -> ONT no login configuration

• Went back to the app and setup the host and it's working perfectly

My conclusion : something is wrong with the ISP Orange France DHCP profile

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that information, Alex will pass that on. If it is a case with DHCP could you give both devices a static IP and see if that helps at all?

I don't think I follow you. "Orange France DHCP" is the name of the profile.

The Pie always had a static IP (so I was sure the remote app would work every time I reboot it / turn off the network when I'm out for a long period, etc., like my PS4 and my computer)

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ah I see, we don't have that option so couldn't verify. What is your connection mode set to? Is it dial on demand? If so change it to always on and see if that works any better.

A screenshot of the "faulty" configuration :

Dns.thumb.png.17106e4ed3b45929a94189941e652433.png

For now, I switched back to "Does your Internet connection requiere a login ?" to "No", and I plugged the router behind the Orange box.

Sorry I don't understand what you want me to try.

• Administrators

Thanks for the screenshots, your configuration is different to what I have available so disregard that. Could you disable Smart Connect under WiFi and connect to WiFi using 2.4GHz or 5GHz and see if that works. Some devices can have issues working correctly with Smart Connect.

17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the screenshots, your configuration is different to what I have available so disregard that. Could you disable Smart Connect under WiFi and connect to WiFi using 2.4GHz or 5GHz and see if that works. Some devices can have issues working correctly with Smart Connect.

Now that I reverted to this config (see below), I have no problem and the option you mentionned is active so unless you really think it could be related I'm not sure it's worth replugging/configuring everything again :P

782242908_ConfigBoxDMZ.thumb.PNG.4bc606a6cb7381f8fb65709022a58648.PNG

I think this issue might be related to the vlan created when the "Orange France DHCP" profile is active (but I'm not an expert and I can be totally wrong)

• Administrators

Ideally it would be good if you could try it but thanks for letting us know, I think theres a good amount of information here to go off and we'll pass this on to Netgear as this will be for them to take a look at. If you have any more insights meanwhile please do let us know.

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ideally it would be good if you could try it but thanks for letting us know, I think theres a good amount of information here to go off and we'll pass this on to Netgear as this will be for them to take a look at. If you have any more insights meanwhile please do let us know.

So I did the testing :

• Router --> Orange Box --> ONT, smart wifi deactivated : it's working
  • Router --> ONT, smart wifi deactivated : it's not working
  • Router --> ONT, smart wifi activated : it's not working
  • Router --> Orange Box --> ONT, smart wifi activated : it's working

Let's hope Netgear will take a look at it.

PS : on the "setup" menue, if you choose the "Orange France DHCP" mode, the "test" button at the bottom of the page is not working (you click on it and nothing happens, like if it was deactivated). It's working fine otherwise

Hi,

I just thought I would comment on this thread.

With your Orange signup you would have received your username "fti/xxxxxx" and you should also have received a password in your welcome pack/letter.

Could you try factory resetting once more only this time setting up using "Orange France PPPoE" and entering your user ID and Passoword.

This will work because Orange utilize boht DHCP and PPPoE.

After this is set up and you have confirmed internet access, try your Pi and Kodi once again and check the results?

Cheers

5 hours ago, vinniemac said:

Could you try factory resetting once more only this time setting up using "Orange France PPPoE" and entering your user ID and Passoword.

This will work because Orange utilize boht DHCP and PPPoE.

Hi,

Did that, it's still not working and my bandwith has taken a hit in the process  (due to PPPoE I guess) :(

Reverting back

Hi,

Thanks for that. By the way I am affiliated with NETGEAR (Long time tester for many years and actually worked on Orange France with NETGEAR)

The throughput on PPPoE unfortunately is a side effect of another issue.

I have a couple more things to try and query:

1. You mentioned you use the same IP for your Pi when the Livebox is taking care of the internet and also when the XR500 is connected directly to the ONT. I am guessing this IP is static?

I know this is a probably something you've checked but easily overlooked. Did you change the IP address of your XR500 to 192.168.0.1 when you configured it when connected to the ONT?

By default of course the XR500 is 192.168.1.1 so if your Pi is on a static IP in range 192.168.0.xxx then you will not be able to access it.

2. If you go back to Firmware V2.3.2.40 it is possible to configure Orange for PPPoE and connect it to your ONT directly. we will need to configure VLAN manually though if you are able to do this.

a) In internet Setup you need to choose that your connection requires a login. Choose "PPPoE" from the dropdown menu and enter your customer ID and password. You can choose Always ON for the "Conection Mode" then apply these settings (Note you will not have internet at this stage)

b) We then need to go to "Advanced Setup" then "VLAN / Bridge Settings"

Check the Enable VLAN / Bridge Group Box

Select "By VLAN tag group

then select the preconfigured VLAN labelled "Internet" and then click "Edit"

Change the VLAN ID to 835 and the Priority is 0

Apply these changes

(NOTE: when you return back to VLAN / Bridge Settings you will have to select the "Enable VLAN / Bridge Group" box once again and then Apply

Reboot your XR500

All being well you should have internet access.

c) Make sure to change your XR500 default IP to use 192.168.0.1 in any case of using the latest FW or V2.3.2.40 as this will avoid any issues with static IPs assigned to your devices because of your other configuration with the Livebox.

Let me know how it goes!

Cheers

Vincent

10 hours ago, vinniemac said:

1. You mentioned you use the same IP for your Pi when the Livebox is taking care of the internet and also when the XR500 is connected directly to the ONT. I am guessing this IP is static?

I know this is a probably something you've checked but easily overlooked. Did you change the IP address of your XR500 to 192.168.0.1 when you configured it when connected to the ONT?

By default of course the XR500 is 192.168.1.1 so if your Pi is on a static IP in range 192.168.0.xxx then you will not be able to access it.

Hi,

I've changed the DHCP on the Orange box to 192.168.0.X so I can factory reset the XR500 without having to deal with IP conflict.

So everything that is connected to the XR500 has a 192.168.1.X IP.

The PIE has a static IP configured and plugg in the XR500.

The strange thing is that the PIE can connect through Samba to my PC in every configuration I've tried (like I can still watch movies that are stored on my computer).

The issue is only when I try to connect to it using my tablet in wifi, and even from the tablet, it finds the PIE, it can connect to it but it can see it.

I'll test the PPOE on 2.3.2.40 later this week.

Could it be a problem with the VLAN ?

Thanks

7 hours ago, mathmath51 said:

Hi,

I've changed the DHCP on the Orange box to 192.168.0.X so I can factory reset the XR500 without having to deal with IP conflict.

So everything that is connected to the XR500 has a 192.168.1.X IP.

The PIE has a static IP configured and plugg in the XR500.

The strange thing is that the PIE can connect through Samba to my PC in every configuration I've tried (like I can still watch movies that are stored on my computer).

The issue is only when I try to connect to it using my tablet in wifi, and even from the tablet, it finds the PIE, it can connect to it but it can see it.

I'll test the PPOE on 2.3.2.40 later this week.

Could it be a problem with the VLAN ?

Thanks

Hi,

It's unlikely to be VLAN in my opinion because the VLANs set up for Orange both DHCP and PPPoE are for Internet access only, so if the VLAN and/or Priority are incorrect then you would not be able to establish internet access.

It "could" be firewall/filter issues from WAN (internet) to LAN (local) but this would only come in to play if you are accessing your Pi from outside of your network.

If you are accessing your Pi from your Tablet on the local network then no firewall rules should apply.

As a further test, are you able to set the Pi on a DHCP IP? I guess you can do this via the Pi interface/config file? then test access again.

Also for your tablet...

Sometimes with new networks (Routers) going in to your tablet settings, forgetting the network and reconnecting helps. (This is particularly the case if you use the same SSID for new routers, old routers etc. Forgetting the network and reconnecting just refreshes it. It's helped me out many times)

Also the basic try over 2.4Ghz and then 5Ghz... Smart connect off etc... Though I think you already tried this early on.

I am keen to see the results setting Orange PPPoE on V2.3.2.40 when you have time to test this, to check if it really is a problem generally or just with firmware V2.3.2.56

This also helps NETGEAR with debugging the issue. It is always good to know if it is a general problem or a single firmware that is at fault.

In theory whether you're connecting directly XR500 to ONT or you are connecting ONT - Livebox - XR500, it should not really make a difference, however in your case we have a problem with access to the Pi from your Tablet.

Could you post a screenshot of your "Attached Devices" from the XR500 GUI? Preferably including the IP addresses and if no device names are present just indicate what device is attached to what IP. Just so I can study it.

I can see though why the first thought would be the Orange profile, because of course it works when the XR500 is connected to the Livebox via DHCP. We will hopefully have some results when you test PPPoE on V2.3.2.40 because there will be no Orange profile.

Cheers!

Vincent