Replacing an ageing BT HG612 modem

Newfie

I’ve a rather old BT modem model HG612 which is working but I thought it’s a wise move to start to think about replacing it with either a modem only or modem/router combo( that would be put into modem mode). 

I don’t want the BT homehubs due to what I’ve read can’t be placed in modem only mode which is a pain. 

I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a replacement. 

Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

vigor 130 as a modem only option. 

Its a Lantiq SoC in the Vigor 130 same exact chipset and revision as in the Openreach ECI modem, but a half board and they get really hot unlike the ECI modems. If you have a unlocked HG612 just grab another off ebay, you can pick brand new ones up for next to nothing and they work fine if unlocked and updated and its easy to do it yourself all the infor and updates are on kitz. Lantiq modems don't always work so well if you are on a Huawei cab, so worth checking your cab type as Lantiq modems can cause loss of throughput compared with a Broadcom chipset which Huawei cabs have.

I'm on a ECI cab with a Lantiq chipset and picked a unused boxed ECI modem, made in 2016 with the latest firmware, both ECI and Huawei (HG612)  Openreach modems only had one update in their lives,  all for £10. A unlocked HG612 can be had for £20 lots less than £80 Vigor. The Netgear DM200 modem is much cheaper and is also Lantiq based so If you are on a ECI cab grab a Netgear modem and they run cool like the ECI Openreach models.

Thanks, I was reading up on that over on the BT forums yesterday but I’m trying to find out what my cabinet is as I know the number but not what type.

mines not unlocked but I was wondering if age has an impact on performance due to the components fitted? 

Great I just got an unlocked 612 for £20. Can’t go wrong with that so at least I have a back up now. 

Mines not unlocked, it’s as it was when the chap installed my infinity. I take it there will be no extra performance but I can look at stats if I wish too?

2 hours ago, Newfie said:

Thanks, I was reading up on that over on the BT forums yesterday but I’m trying to find out what my cabinet is as I know the number but not what type.

mines not unlocked but I was wondering if age has an impact on performance due to the components fitted? 

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Newfie said:

Great I just got an unlocked 612 for £20. Can’t go wrong with that so at least I have a back up now. 

Mines not unlocked, it’s as it was when the chap installed my infinity. I take it there will be no extra performance but I can look at stats if I wish too?

If its got the latest firmware it may be a bit better, but probably not much if at all, but yes you can see stats.

• 1 month later...

Just a little update.

im pleased to say I’ve had a rather nice speed increase after changing the modem. Not sure how or why but all off a sudden my speeds have increased on both download and upload. Perhaps it’s just BT have altered or upgraded something or the modem is simply better in some way.

Normally BT tell you if you get a speed increase??

1F78E8A2-2199-4E87-91E4-6AEEBDCCAA55.png

possible, or you could be pinging a better server on speedtest.net. I can tell you that if you reboot your router/modem or modem a few times in short intervals you can be placed on what is called interleaving which reduces your speeds as the dslam thinks you have a fault on your line so it sacrifices speed for stability and after a period of stability (usually 9-11 days) it will go back to what is called fastpath which will be your maximum attainable speeds.

On 9/6/2019 at 11:34 AM, Netduma Alex said:

Sometimes, as I understand, it takes a little while for your ISP to reevaluate your connection from their end. Maybe that's what happened?

It is, I found out Openreach had been working hard to solve some local issues and when it was solved I noticed the speed increase, it’s now back to how it was which is fine.

B1CAF64B-CB1A-4676-94AC-19B87DB2DDC0.png